IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
For those of yall that dont have a ton of experience, yall need to be building a home lab. You can build a cheap home server to host VMware ESXi(its free) which you can then use to setup an entire domain/network to play with. Even if you dont have the on the job experience, for you to be able to say yes i can and have setup/managed a domain is nice to be able to say.

You can get a dreamspark subscription https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Software-Catalog.aspx
which will give you all the different Microsoft server products and OS for free too.

so for ~500 you can get experience building a server(will help with your A+) and also get experience with VMware, Microsoft and Networking experience on your own. Plus you will have a server to store all your movies and shyt on.

:shaq:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Thanks and yea I copped this
but that bytch 1500 pages bruh. I aint even realize what 1500 pages was when I copped it :to:

lol 1500? shyt!
but it's going to pay off in the long run if you stick with it bro.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Is professor Messers videos enough for me to learn and pass the A+ cert?
To answer your question if you can study, watch the video, plus practice doing some of the shyt on your own computer then you'll have a good chance to pass. But you gotta be focused

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2866424/it-jobs/hottest-tech-skills-security-forensics-java.html

The hottest tech skills for 2015: Security forensics and good old Java

IT job growth is expected to outpace the overall economy, and those with the right skills stand to benefit handsomely

It's a new year, with new opportunities.

If you're looking for a new job or simply want a better deal where you're currently working, "tech professionals really have strong negotiating power," says Shravan Goli, the president of Dice, a large tech-focused job board. "Every number we've looked at points toward a bullish tech market."

As always, focusing on the right skills and certifications is key to the techie who wants to move up the career ladder. Not surprisingly, companies are finally responding to the plague of hacking and data theft -- Sony Pictures is only the latest victim -- by beefing up their security teams.
Security dominates employers' IT needs

Cyber security was the fastest growing job category on Dice.com over the last 12 months, growing by 91 percent, with nearly 2,900 openings on the board in early January.

A list of the 10 IT certifications expected to be the hottest in 2015 developed by labor consultancy Foote Partners, which tracks premium pay across 2,700 employers, includes five security-related certifications: GIAC Certified Forensics Analyst, CyberSecurity Forensic Analyst, CWNP Certified Wireless Security Professional, EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker, and EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator.

Although the value of certifications has ebbed and flowed over the years, companies hiring cyber security staffers are looking for "people with provable chops," says David Foote, co-founder of Foote Partners. That means certifications.
The hot tech jobs outside security

There are plenty of other tech skills for which demand is booming, including that old standby, Java. A quick search on Dice reveals 443 Java-related jobs in the San Francisco area alone.

Enterprise architects and data architects will be able to "name their price" in 2015, as companies try to scale up software programs, databases, and infrastructure, Foote says. "IT has been so focused on producing a solution that works today; it hasn't considered scalability. User adoption rates and activity are soaring, which is fueling the demand for architects. In fact, the Open Group Architecture Framework is the highest-paid skill in our quarterly index," he says.

Software engineers are in high demand -- but the ones with the best prospects are employees who can do more than bang out code, Foote says: "CIOs are looking for software engineers who can think beyond what they're doing today and for business analysts who can predict what customers will want next year and the year after that. The demand for outside-the-box thinkers with hybrid skills is not going away."

Many IT jobs do not require certifications, so Foote asked his research staff to put together a list of noncertified skills that would best position an IT professional concerned about keeping his or her job, finding a new one, or getting a raise. The top skills in that list include enterprise architecture, Cloudera software, data management, JavaFX, user interface design, and project management.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks and yea I copped this
but that bytch 1500 pages bruh. I aint even realize what 1500 pages was when I copped it :to:

Brah I know what you mean. I just picked up A+ exam cram and its like 600 some and its killin me. I'm a slow reader which makes it worse. I read a lot personally but I usually go audio route if possible. I was looking for and A+ book that I can use the read a loud function on google books. So I can more easily finish the book.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Brah I know what you mean. I just picked up A+ exam cram and its like 600 some and its killin me. I'm a slow reader which makes it worse. I read a lot personally but I usually go audio route if possible. I was looking for and A+ book that I can use the read a loud function on google books. So I can more easily finish the book.

Book looks like shyt. Alot of words for what professor Messer says in 7 minute videos.

@Rekkapryde get me a job bro :to:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Breh.. Try this ... Read 10-20 pages when you first wake up.. 10-20 pages in the middle of the day. 10-20 before you go to sleep..

Also try reading at different locations. I know I read somewhere that your brain remembers more when you do the same thing but at a different location. Which actually makes sense. Kind of like an index.. Etc

The best way to pass the A+ is to simply build a computer or take the one you have apart. It's the easiest cert you'll ever get.. Lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
for the first year...work for next to nothing after you get it.

This.. People don't understand its a process.. I started out at $12/hr. I was making more at warehouse jobs, but one path has a future and the other one doesn't. People are going to low ball you when they see you have zero experience, unless you have a family you should be happy to be gainng the experience.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
is PC technical support a good starting point to start at because that's what i'm getting ready to get into?

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
This.. People don't understand its a process.. I started out at $12/hr. I was making more at warehouse jobs, but one path has a future and the other one doesn't. People are going to low ball you when they see you have zero experience, unless you have a family you should be happy to be gainng the experience.

12 would be fire. I'm living like a piece of shyt right now. :mjlol:

Taking apart a computers don't teach you A+ :beli: I'd have that cert 10 times over by now if it did.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
is PC technical support a good starting point to start at because that's what i'm getting ready to get into?

Yes.... Anything will help.. When I started out I applied at Geek squad. Didn't get the job tho.. Lol

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Yes.... Anything will help.. When I started out I applied at Geek squad. Didn't get the job tho.. Lol
this was after you completed the classes for it right? EDIT: what's your job in the IT field now?

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
this was after you completed the classes for it right? EDIT: what's your job in the IT field now?

Only thing I did for the A+( which was about 9 years ago ) was the Meyers book. But I was heavy into PC gaming and programming since I was 16 ( 33 now ) so I was always taking my computer apart and adding things for gaming. I recommed everyone that's taking the A+ to also check out the PC gaming thread in the Arcaduim. A lot of knowledge in there:.

I started off as a field tech for 1 yr, then Help desk for 5 long years and now Sr developer for the past 3 1/2 yrs.