IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
This book gets mixed reviews but I love it. Study this book along with a good book on SQL and you should have a set foundation to work from.

71rib7Qu9tL._SL1000_.jpg

Download DAlnxn---0538469684.rar - BitShare.com - Free File Hosting and Cloud Storage
do you have another link for this book I can use breh?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Hey, you guys got a BI/Data guy (i can't say expert, yet, lol), if needed. ETL, OO, Web Dev, and BI/Data work. Thats my fortay. O, and minor work with business rules engines (ehhh, you probably shouldn't ask about that)

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
Always saw this thread, but never thought to enter it. Looks like some good knowledge is being shared here.

I have a little over 5 years in the industry in the Software Engineering field. I'm tied to my current gig for another year and a half, but after that I will be exploring the market to see what I could be doing.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Always saw this thread, but never thought to enter it. Looks like some good knowledge is being shared here.

I have a little over 5 years in the industry in the Software Engineering field. I'm tied to my current gig for another year and a half, but after that I will be exploring the market to see what I could be doing.
How were you able to break into software engineering? Im currently doing sysadmin/helpdesk work but I'm close to my comp sci degree.

Also, i have a question for the IT brehs..I have a new gig coming up which pays nearly 4k a month. This is more than I currently make. Only problem is the new gig only gives a paltry 40 hrs of paid vacation a year...with no sick leave. My current job gives 3 weeks combined PTO and vacation...
The new gig looks like the job will be more fun and less stressful than working at a MSP in helpdesk but that 40hrs year is killing it for me. Makes me wonder how they treat their workers if they only give such small amounts of vacay time....
What do y'all think?

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
How were you able to break into software engineering? Im currently doing sysadmin/helpdesk work but I'm close to my comp sci degree.

Also, i have a question for the IT brehs..I have a new gig coming up which pays nearly 4k a month. This is more than I currently make. Only problem is the new gig only gives a paltry 40 hrs of paid vacation a year...with no sick leave. My current job gives 3 weeks combined PTO and vacation...
The new gig looks like the job will be more fun and less stressful than working at a MSP in helpdesk but that 40hrs year is killing it for me. Makes me wonder how they treat their workers if they only give such small amounts of vacay time....
What do y'all think?

I'm probably the worst example, but I got in purely off of my grades in undergrad. I had right at a 4.0. Certain companies came to our campus every semester and I just attended an overview of the company I wanted to work for and slipped the recruiter my resume. He pushed me right to the front of the pile and I had an on campus interview that week and an interview with the company at their HQ the next month.

For some reason most of my classmates didn't even attend the session because they didn't want to leave our area. So I literally walked straight into the company.

My advice would be to LEARN the shyt you are taking for your major. Makes the transition much easier when you can say "hey, I remember this".

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
What do y'all think?

40 hours? :why:

Don't know your situation, but that sounds like a bad look from an HR perspective even if you LOVE the job.

You never know what may happen. I got in a bad accident this year and ran up almost 100 hours of sick time. Luckily my gig doesn't count sick hours against your PTO, so I was good.

Do you know what their holiday schedule is like? If you're getting a week or two of paid time off in other places, it may even out.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
40 hours?
My job only gives me 40 hours of sick time (legally required by the city, i believe) and that's it. No PTO at all. It's also the lowest level tech job you can get while still calling it an IT job. The pay is also pretty damn low. But it's my first IT job and I only have A+, so I'll stick with it for now.

Been keeping my eye out for a better job, but I'll really start looking for another gig during the Christmas holidays.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
ANy of you fukkwads in here talking all this sh!t Solaris certified? Or know Solaris really well? I'm pretty good myself but am not very familiar with this process so I need help real quick.

Please tell me what the fukk is wrong with this command. Cant see why it's not cloning as expected.

Code:
dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 bs=409600

When i enter this I would expect it to start cloning but the system just outputs "if=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0" and nothing happens.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
ANy of you fukkwads in here talking all this sh!t Solaris certified? Or know Solaris really well? I'm pretty good myself but am not very familiar with this process so I need help real quick.

Please tell me what the fukk is wrong with this command. Cant see why it's not cloning as expected.

Code:
dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 bs=409600

When i enter this I would expect it to start cloning but the system just outputs "if=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0" and nothing happens.
Its not specifically Solaris, its *Nix. Research the dd command and you should find what you're looking for

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
My job only gives me 40 hours of sick time (legally required by the city, i believe) and that's it. No PTO at all. It's also the lowest level tech job you can get while still calling it an IT job. The pay is also pretty damn low. But it's my first IT job and I only have A+, so I'll stick with it for now.

Been keeping my eye out for a better job, but I'll really start looking for another gig during the Christmas holidays.
This shyt is for a level 2 engineer. I would expect that to have a bit of clout...but i guess I'll see how it goes..

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Its not specifically Solaris, its *Nix. Research the dd command and you should find what you're looking for
Ive looked it up on the oracle site and its correct. But for some reason it simply isnt dd'ing ths sh!t. It's not the slice either. I've tried others and same result