IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you gentlemen don't mind me asking...what's your age range??? I been in the field about 20 years and I'm noticing that there aren't many new kids coming into the game. In my last few work environments damn near EVERYONE is over 30 at this point. The helpdesk folks are all damn near over 40 :dwillhuh:
are you younger guys having tougher times breaking into the industry? I would think it would be the opposite because they could pay you all less. When I was a younger guy EVERYONE was pretty much in their 20's in the field.

I think every field of work is like that nowadays. Advertised "entry level" jobs require 3-5 years full-time experience and internships usually never count.

That being said, would it be a waste to go to a tech school to learn everything to get IT certs? Or is it a waste of money? Where I live in the DMV area, there are a lot of IT jobs. I know many folks in IT. I'm 31 and I'm thinking of going to Tesst college out here in MD in January. It's 9 months, 4 hours a day, five days a week intensive training to get A+, Network+, CompTIAA etc. But its a guaranteed 9K in debt. I don't have any serious debt at the moment and am not looking to incur any debt I can't pay off easily. :lupe: Anybody know if Tesst college is reputable or a waste of time?

Double J

Banned
Daps
I think every field of work is like that nowadays. Advertised "entry level" jobs require 3-5 years full-time experience and internships usually never count.

That being said, would it be a waste to go to a tech school to learn everything to get IT certs? Or is it a waste of money? Where I live in the DMV area, there are a lot of IT jobs. I know many folks in IT. I'm 31 and I'm thinking of going to Tesst college out here in MD in January. It's 9 months, 4 hours a day, five days a week intensive training to get A+, Network+, CompTIAA etc. But its a guaranteed 9K in debt. I don't have any serious debt at the moment and am not looking to incur any debt I can't pay off easily. :lupe: Anybody know if Tesst college is reputable or a waste of time?
Why pay to learn something you can teach to your self? Just self study.

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!

Why pay to learn something you can teach to your self? Just self study.
I agree with Double J...I would probably go get at the most an A+ and Net+ and I don't think Tesst is the place to go. Go somewhere that is ONLY teaching IT courses. Last thing I want to tell you is that the DMV market is not as booming as advertised. I have worked in that area off and on for the last 20 years. I just finished a contract in the Detroit area in July and decided I wanted to go back to DC...the calls were EXTREMELY slow. I am to this day getting multiple calls every day from Detroit based companies and I took a job in Nashville that pays as well as the DC area and the money will go MUCH farther in this economy. DC market only booms when the Government is booming and I really don't think you want to be an entry level tech working for the government :scusthov:

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
If you gentlemen don't mind me asking...what's your age range??? I been in the field about 20 years and I'm noticing that there aren't many new kids coming into the game. In my last few work environments damn near EVERYONE is over 30 at this point. The helpdesk folks are all damn near over 40 :dwillhuh:
are you younger guys having tougher times breaking into the industry? I would think it would be the opposite because they could pay you all less. When I was a younger guy EVERYONE was pretty much in their 20's in the field.
From my experience in searching for a job, the help desk jobs that I had sought required 2-4 years experience and a bachelor degree in computer science or related IT degree :skip: I don't think an A+ certification is enough to get in the door without experience. I'm looking to go back to the telecommunication field if this IT don't workout for me. At least I can work for a company like AT&T or Comcast to work my way up to IT department:ehh:

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
From my experience in searching for a job, the help desk jobs that I had sought required 2-4 years experience and a bachelor degree in computer science or related IT degree :skip: I don't think an A+ certification is enough to get in the door without experience. I'm looking to go back to the telecommunication field if this IT don't workout for me. At least I can work for a company like AT&T or Comcast to work my way up to IT department:ehh:
That's probably the best way to get into the game right now. Even the mid level positions are occupied by folks in the middle ages these days. And the way that everything is changing there is no longer any tier 1(entry) level jobs. Everything is handled by the same folks now.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Just got a ICT Engineering role at this company called Petrolink. Decent amount pay bump and its a software company...looking forward to it

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
Haven't posted in this thread in ages, so let me update y'all real quick.

Two months ago I started an IT training course designed to assist people with getting an A+ cert and building their network/networking skills. As of today, I have my cert (two actually, the other cert I have now is the Cisco IT Essentials Professional Certification) and next week I'll start a 3 month internship at a Fortune 500 company doing QA work. My resume is cleaned up, I've met a lot of helpful people, made contacts with a lot of big local companies, and I really can see the path towards a good position opening up for me.

If anyone who views this lives in the Philly area, hit me up and I'll give you more info about the program I've completed. It's free and open to anyone ages 18-26 who doesn't have a bachelors degree.

Thanks to everyone who had advice to give me, directly and indirectly by posting in this thread. One of my goals is to be that person who gives advice to someone and helps them get started on their path to an IT career as well. :salute:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
to all my brehs who may know, I have my MCSA Server 2012 cert but have no experience as a system/network admin. I always like to plan ahead so I was wondering is there another in demand cert I should start looking into like MCSE 2012 or something of the like of sql server or private cloud? I want to stay in the Microsoft lane for now.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
to all my brehs who may know, I have my MCSA Server 2012 cert but have no experience as a system/network admin. I always like to plan ahead so I was wondering is there another in demand cert I should start looking into like MCSE 2012 or something of the like of sql server or private cloud? I want to stay in the Microsoft lane for now.
Do you have any useful study guide for the Window Server. That's the next cert I want to get after I get the A+ cert

Smoke

Resident Chubby Chaser
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
804/434
I always thought all the cert talk on here was just some type of running joke :dwillhuh:

Anyway tho...I have A+, Security+, and Network+ I'm looking to sit for something else before the end of the year, but I'm not sure what. May stick with CompTIA since their exams have been relatively easy to me, or I may switch it up and go with that MCSA but as I understand it that's a lower tier cert.

I'm kinda in a weird situation where I have a Comp. Sci. degree but straight out of college I decided to teach for a couple years instead of jumping into the field....so now all that jobs that I believe I'm fit for want experience which I don't have. So it's kinda either keep waiting around, or take some bottom tier, low paying, entry level position, just to say I did it. I'm hoping if I keep stacking these certs that'll kinda make up for the lack of experience.

I'm sure this has been posted already...but check out http://www.examcollection.com/ they have practice exams, some of which are straight rips of the actual test, either completely, or partially.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always thought all the cert talk on here was just some type of running joke :dwillhuh:

Anyway tho...I have A+, Security+, and Network+ I'm looking to sit for something else before the end of the year, but I'm not sure what. May stick with CompTIA since their exams have been relatively easy to me, or I may switch it up and go with that MCSA but as I understand it that's a lower tier cert.

I'm kinda in a weird situation where I have a Comp. Sci. degree but straight out of college I decided to teach for a couple years instead of jumping into the field....so now all that jobs that I believe I'm fit for want experience which I don't have. So it's kinda either keep waiting around, or take some bottom tier, low paying, entry level position, just to say I did it. I'm hoping if I keep stacking these certs that'll kinda make up for the lack of experience.

I'm sure this has been posted already...but check out http://www.examcollection.com/ they have practice exams, some of which are straight rips of the actual test, either completely, or partially.
you need to get some real it experience asap no compnay will hire you to do it work with not real experience. apply for some jobs see what type of respone you get, grind it out for a year then move on to a better position is my advice. no matter how many degrees certs you have ect without experince you wont get anywhere. IT is a hands on type of job just because you have a read a book about how to solve an issue does not mean you know to solve it when it's time to solve it.

That's what im doing right now been working helpdesk for 8 months now, recently got promoted plan to grind out for 4 motnhs more max then im bouncing. when i leave here im free to go to any company i want to. i dont have any college degree or certs but i have experience