IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
update: brehs just passed the 3rd exam to officially be MCSA Server 2012 certified:blessed:been studying since june and finally got it done. @bdizzle or anyone else who may know, since I don't have any experience as a system/network admin what are the key things I should put on my resume as far as showing I have knowledge in that particular subject such as powershell, sql etc.

Daps
update: brehs just passed the 3rd exam to officially be MCSA Server 2012 certified:blessed:been studying since june and finally got it done. @bdizzle or anyone else who may know, since I don't have any experience as a system/network admin what are the key things I should put on my resume as far as showing I have knowledge in that particular subject such as powershell, sql etc.
Breh. Go look on indeed at the system and network admin jobs in your area. What you see in the job descriptions, put in your resume. You should be tailoring your resume to fit the position.

get used to look at jobs you want, then going after those skills. thats how you get to where you want to be.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Breh. Go look on indeed at the system and network admin jobs in your area. What you see in the job descriptions, put in your resume. You should be tailoring your resume to fit the position.

get used to look at jobs you want, then going after those skills. thats how you get to where you want to be.
:salute:

DF is BUSY

ididknotnothat.
Daps
Reppin
NYC
hey brehs,
got a question;

im planning on getting A+ certified soon,
let's say i take and pass the 801 portion on November 15 2014--

- am i required to take the 802 portion right away?
- how long am i allowed to wait before taking the 802 portion?

the 3 year expiration starts when i pass both 801 and 802 right?

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
About to get back into the cert game. Think I'm going to start studying for the .Net certs

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Good question, I'm at the same point in my career and trying to make that jump from the 1st line of the helpdesk to sys admin or atleast tier 2/3 position. Only problem is that it seems as if these potential jobs are asking for alot including but not limited to:
1. Server hardware exp
2. Windows server software
3. Virtualization (citriz, vmware)
4. Programming Cisco iOS exp
5. SQL exp
etc. etc.
Im at the point to where I'm watching videos on the required exp and hoping to gain enough knowledge to talk thru an interview. No way you can have experience in ALL of these fields without years of sys admin exp

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Good question, I'm at the same point in my career and trying to make that jump from the 1st line of the helpdesk to sys admin or atleast tier 2/3 position. Only problem is that it seems as if these potential jobs are asking for alot including but not limited to:
1. Server hardware exp
5. SQL exp
etc. etc.
Im at the point to where I'm watching videos on the required exp and hoping to gain enough knowledge to talk thru an interview. No way you can have experience in ALL of these fields without years of sys admin exp
can you put me on to those videos? ive been learning from cbt nuggets, Microsoft virtual academy videos and from downloading virtual labs to practice installing server 2012 and playing around with active directory. I remember @bdizzle saying a while back to make sure you learn powershell, active directory and sql like the back of your hand, he even listed the tuturiols for them way back in this thread, im searching for them now.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
can you put me on to those videos? ive been learning from cbt nuggets, Microsoft virtual academy videos and from downloading virtual labs to practice installing server 2012 and playing around with active directory. I remember @bdizzle saying a while back to make sure you learn powershell, active directory and sql like the back of your hand, he even listed the tuturiols for them way back in this thread, im searching for them now.
90% of the videos Ive downloaded are CBT, thing with powershell is that its impossible to remember all of those scripts. 10/10 you can just copy + paste the command from the internet and they'll work. Unless your just is a business intelligence engineer, no way you're knowing SQL like the back of your hand. So many commands and queries there. I believe that most System admin roles would require a basic understand of how SQL works and maybe a few find/get queries

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
I'm going to take the A+ exam again. This will be my third time taking the test. Next week is big week for me. I have dedicated many hours studying operating system and troubleshooting software, network, and printers. I feel like I'm ready.

Daps
1. Server hardware exp
5. SQL exp
etc. etc.

Most of that stuff you can get hands on experience with on your own. Also in most cases you arent expected to be an expert in all of the requirements for a job. But the more you can intelligently talk about them the better. If your trying to jump to sysadmin and you dont have a home lab with your own domain using virtualization your fukkin up. VMware ESXI is free brehs. and you can build a solid home lab ESXi host for less than $500.

And then once ur done turn one of them servers into a media server and setup plex on that shyt. now you got a home theater and u will prolly get a better job.

Last edited:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell

How hard are the test to take and what study guide you use? i'm doing ccent but I think Microsoft will be better to break back into the industry.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
the test were hard but nothing crazy. I studied damn near 3 hrs a day though. if you put in enough study time it will make things easier for you when you take the test. I used cbt nuggets and these study guides from TechNet http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmay...ts-study-guide-for-new-mcsa-exams-70-410.aspx

I'm looking at the 680, the regular windows 7 cert, mostly for helpdesk and desktop support jobs. You took the server one.

edit, my bad... I'm thinking entry level windows 7 certifications.

DF is BUSY

ididknotnothat.
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm going to take the A+ exam again. This will be my third time taking the test. Next week is big week for me. I have dedicated many hours studying operating system and troubleshooting software, network, and printers. I feel like I'm ready.

if you don't mind me asking, what were your scores the first and second times? when did you take them? (year)