IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Doing this PHP is a bit refreshing after Javascript, since it is much less complex and has less quirks and I don't have to deal with that nasty DOM interface.

here is creating a new element in javascript
var newElem = document.createElement("p");
newElem.innerHTML = "test";
var selector = document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0];
selector.appendChild(newElem);

All I'm doing there is creating a paragraph element and attaching it to the body tag and inserting the word test inside that paragraph. I'm sure you can see how things can get ugly real quick. I can't wait to get into the SQL portions of this study so I can interact with databases and make things like a blog.

semtex

:)
Daps
Thats what I've been using. Much more useful than my profs sorry ass notes
You must be taking an algorithm design course. That shyt was :scusthov: I had an Indian teacher and dude was a straight up math head. Had us doing all kinds of wild ass problems. I had bad luck with professors.

semtex

:)
Daps
Interview with a recruiter tomorrow about a C# job. All those java jobs I applied for and the C# one is the one I get a response from :mjlol:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it actually feasible to learn C# (C-Sharp) in 30 days? I'm trying to get this cash up.

what's your programming background? if you're experienced in another object oriented language then you'll be able to pick up a shyt load in that time. if you're a beginner forget about it. are you trying to land a job as a beginner?

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
what's your programming background? if you're experienced in another object oriented language then you'll be able to pick up a shyt load in that time. if you're a beginner forget about it. are you trying to land a job as a beginner?
I want a job as a beginner. Im 29 and I will be doing shyt in Europe (:youngsabo:....call it a professional 'gap year') til next year. I'll have some good free time too and I eventually want to come back to the SNAKES :lawd: with a skill to get a career popping.

I dont need it to happen in 30 days. I'd surely take a job as a beginner next year. I took a year of C++ but that was in HS :flabbynsick:....I know how the language looks (like notepad with a bunch of lines, "if" clauses, plenty of commas/parentheses :whew:) so I may be able to dedicate some time to it all this coming fall-summer. :manny:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Is it actually feasible to learn C# (C-Sharp) in 30 days? I'm trying to get this cash up.

Nah. Programming really isn't the field you want to go into if you want to take short-cuts because it will come back to haunt you.. If it was as easy to learn it in 30 days like all of these books and the such suggest, a ton of people would be in the field and it wouldn't make nearly as much money as it does. You'll probably be able to get a somewhat solid grasp of C# syntax in 30 days though. What does that mean? It means you'll probably know how to do loops, conditionals, learn a little bit about object orientation, learn some information about classes, learn how to output some data to the console, but that's a far cry from knowing how to put all that knowledge together and make a full fledge program.

Do a little programming and see if you like it. Give yourself maybe a year or two at least if you're going to go into programming.

This is an excellent read:
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

This dude learned ruby on rails in 2 months, but that's him going for 18 hours a day
https://medium.com/how-i-learned-ruby-rails/how-i-trained-to-learn-rails-e08c94e2a51e

Last edited:

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud

Nah. Programming really isn't the field you want to go into if you want to take short-cuts because it will come back to haunt you.. If it was as easy to learn it in 30 days like all of these books and the such suggest, a ton of people would be in the field and it wouldn't make nearly as much money as it does. You'll probably be able to get a somewhat solid grasp of C# syntax in 30 days though. What does that mean? It means you'll probably know how to do loops, conditionals, learn a little bit about object orientation, learn some information about classes, learn how to output some data to the console, but that's a far cry from knowing how to put all that knowledge together and make a full fledge program.

Do a little programming and see if you like it. Give yourself maybe a year or two at least if you're going to go into programming.

This is an excellent read:
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

This dude learned ruby on rails in 2 months, but that's him going for 18 hours a day
https://medium.com/how-i-learned-ruby-rails/how-i-trained-to-learn-rails-e08c94e2a51e

These are also great resources I have used to help me learn both Python and C.

http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Might take you more than 30 days, but overall excellement resources to start with.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really like the story of the Ruby on Rails dude. I think I'm going to take a programming deep-dive and cut out a lot of my extraneous activities and really dedicate the next few months to mastering Javascript.

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
I don't say this to everyone, but if you can't figure it out, I would suggest looking into the military. The Air Force for example has a lot of IT fields. They train you, you learn on the job and you gain experience. Air Force is like a civilian job with uniforms for the most part. You can also attend schools in the weekend, online or after work to earn a degree. Just make sure you get it in writing from the recruiter about what job you want to do in there. Obviously if you have any ethical or moral obligations, this may not be the best choice. I know several people who did something like this for several branches.
you just described me cuz... joined the AF in 2000 was a 3C0... got out in 2006 and got hired by Microsoft as a consultant.. I just got promoted to Architect (still @ msft) 3 weeks ago. it's funny... i get my entire years military salary in 1 bonus check (1 of 5) now... pulling well over 250k w/ stock and sh*t..

moral of the story is it's definitely do-able... just got to keep at it