IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh shyt...config thru RPC on IE? That certainly is a bit different...
Yea thats the direction MS is going in. Watching the Exchange 2013 CBT Nuggets + reading the MS Training Kit books and practicing the labs will have you eating. Not even concerned with certs at this point, more interested in acquiring skills so I can exit the help desk

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
go for the CCNA/ MCSE and then get another job.

This is why I advise people against starting out at helpdesk....it's shyt and on top of that once you get comfortable you feel stuck.

Go for high level certs like CCNA/CCNP/CCIE anyone of them. They are much harder than you average cert.

if you are comfortable with Microsoft you may want to aim for the highest Microsoft certs.
Go straight to the top stuff.

Sit down for a few hours...think and make a decision
I'm still deciding whether to go for the MCSA Server 2012 cert or CCNA. it seems like recruiters who I have been in contact with made it seem like this cert is the one to get over the CCNA in order to get out of help desk. If I were to get both is one easier/quicker to pass than the other? Also @bdizzle I remember in a few of your recent posts you talk about how important learning power shell is. If that's the case, would you suggest I get the MCSA Server 2012 first? I want to go the Cisco route also because it seems you guys are getting wild bread with their certs. I'm still new to all this stuff so I trying to get some good info on these things instead of jumping right into it. @Chris.B and anyone else who may know what are the good study materials for this exam and if anyone has taken the exam how long did it take for you to study and pass?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
I'm still deciding whether to go for the MCSA Server 2012 cert or CCNA. it seems like recruiters who I have been in contact with made it seem like this cert is the one to get over the CCNA in order to get out of help desk. If I were to get both is one easier/quicker to pass than the other? Also @bdizzle I remember in a few of your recent posts you talk about how important learning power shell is. If that's the case, would you suggest I get the MCSA Server 2012 first? I want to go the Cisco route also because it seems you guys are getting wild bread with their certs. I'm still new to all this stuff so I trying to get some good info on these things instead of jumping right into it. @Chris.B and anyone else who may know what are the good study materials for this exam and if anyone has taken the exam how long did it take for you to study and pass?
recruiters call you based on "key words" in your resume. I discount their input right away.

At the end of the day you have to do what you like the most, personally I like networking but regardless of what you like if you don't expand your knowledge in this field you will be stuck at helpdesk for life.

it won't be easy I can't remember the number of times I threw away my CCNA books because nothing was sticking.

With networking you tend to deal with annoying users far less than Microsoft products which is more front-end stuff.
Either one is fine if you master it. You will be caking.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Yea, I'm starting to get sick of recruiters. Its the same old BS every call with nothing ever actually coming to fruition. :beli:

Get the first call, "I'm gonna submit your resume friend :smile:" and then never hear from them again :beli:

semtex

:)
Daps
Yea, I'm starting to get sick of recruiters. Its the same old BS every call with nothing ever actually coming to fruition. :beli:

Get the first call, "I'm gonna submit your resume friend :smile:" and then never hear from them again :beli:
I've got connections thankfully :wow: graduated yesterday

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
go for the CCNA/ MCSE and then get another job.

This is why I advise people against starting out at helpdesk....it's shyt and on top of that once you get comfortable you feel stuck.

Go for high level certs like CCNA/CCNP/CCIE anyone of them. They are much harder than you average cert.

if you are comfortable with Microsoft you may want to aim for the highest Microsoft certs.
Go straight to the top stuff.

Sit down for a few hours...think and make a decision
Decided I will go for the MCSA Server 2012 and will get the CCNA later this year. For anyone who has this cert are there any effective ways you went about studying for these exams and the study materials you have used? Thinking about going the cbt nuggets route

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Decided I will go for the MCSA Server 2012 and will get the CCNA later this year. For anyone who has this cert are there any effective ways you went about studying for these exams and the study materials you have used? Thinking about going the cbt nuggets route
Try the video route first and take notes.

Also you will need to build a lab. Look into buying one powerful but somewhat cheap server you can use for virtualizations. That way you can run multiple systems in one box.

Vmware server ESXI 4 is out there on the internet. Don't even ask me how :smugfavre:

After you have done all this, reading the books will make more sense.

People who read the books before watching the videos and setting up a practice lab network give up quick. Don't be like those.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Try the video route first and take notes.

Also you will need to build a lab. Look into buying one powerful but somewhat cheap server you can use for virtualizations. That way you can run multiple systems in one box.

Vmware server ESXI 4 is out there on the internet. Don't even ask me how :smugfavre:

After you have done all this, reading the books will make more sense.

People who read the books before watching the videos and setting up a practice lab network give up quick. Don't be like those.
Is building a lab necessary in order to pass? I'm only asking because I'm a little tight on cash right now. Will I be able to pass with only the cbt nuggets and practice questions?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Is building a lab necessary in order to pass? I'm only asking because I'm a little tight on cash right now. Will I be able to pass with only the cbt nuggets and practice questions?
Lab is not necessary to pass MCSA but it's a nice luxury to have.

It will build your confidence when you walk into a new job but it's not a requirement.

Check on craigslist, some companies have their old servers going for next to nothing.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
It will build your confidence when you walk into a new job but it's not a requirement.

Check on craigslist, some companies have their old servers going for next to nothing.
:whew: The cash is tight right now so that's a good thing to hear. Also not sure if I asked before but what certs do you have and how long did it take for you to start seeing good money from your career?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
:whew: The cash is tight right now so that's a good thing to hear. Also not sure if I asked before but what certs do you have and how long did it take for you to start seeing good money from your career?
I have mostly Cisco associate and professional certs.

I'm working to complete the professional voice cert and then I will at least give the CCIE a one time shot.
I was fortunate to work for a company which had labs for employees so I was getting certs on my free time and later quit for a better job. They were salty as fukk :umad:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I have mostly Cisco associate and professional certs.

I'm working to complete the professional voice cert and then I will at least give the CCIE a one time shot.
I was fortunate to work for a company which had labs for employees so I was getting certs on my free time and later quit for a better job. They were salty as fukk :umad:
I know you said you specialize in networking, what do you think about the CCNA wireless as opposed to the other cisco certs?

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
I know you said you specialize in networking, what do you think about the CCNA wireless as opposed to the other cisco certs?
It's OK if here is a demand for it sure why not. I does require you complete the CCNA first

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Its not a physical lab with server hardware thats needed. Get VMWare fusion and build virtual labs using Server ISOs (u can find them free) and build from there brehs. Reading/watching videos are not the same as actually walking thru the procedures.