IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Managers/Recruiters are blowning my main phone up, all day, everyday, about shyt :damn:I don't even pick-up from numbers I don't know anymore...is the tech shortage really this bad in Atlanta? I may have to start overcharging nikkas for my services :youngsabo:

Just had a manager from a big company down in Conyers, GA go up $30,000 in yearly salary from what he originally offered me to make the drive from Dunwoody down to Conyers to work for the company. Them nikkas deperate to find BI Developers but no one wants to drive past the airport to work. I know I can't fukk with that drive everyday :merchant:. Plus, I've decided I'm going to inform Comcast that I'll be accepting their offer in the morning.

Usually the more desperate the employer the worst the job. But this job market for Developers is out of control. Makes me wish I had majored in Computer Science.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
A little bit of shortage mixed with tons of recruiters who don't know how to read a resume so they just do a spray n pray spamming approach

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
I've started on HTML and CSS, Javascript, and Java. I write Copy, articles and web content to advertise or market some product or service, among other things. Is there something I'm missing, or will these skills be enough for what I will be doing?

How long do you think until I can begin working on projects that combine writing and programming, say, someone needs for a basic webpage/blog advertising their product/service created?

Last edited:

Ghetto Denizen

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So breh's I was wondering if anyone could fill me in who is currently working in IT as a 1099 contractor. Im a software engineer and I just accepted a position with a startup for 1099 contract. I know have to cover double the payroll taxes and such but is there anything else i need to look for?

Also in terms of taxes, i wanna make sure i write off hella shyt?

Any insight or even a small guide would be appreciated, im used to being salary employee, this contracting shyt is new to me.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Anything big going down as far as the IT job market? I been getting a lot more attention this past week than any time before. Places and people that I spoke with in early December and January are just now getting back to me.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anything big going down as far as the IT job market? I been getting a lot more attention this past week than any time before. Places and people that I spoke with in early December and January are just now getting back to me.

http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends/industry

I would say tech hiring has been mostly flat except for the really high end jobs. I have been getting more calls from recruiters but they seem like fishing expeditions more than anything. Having worked at so many dysfunctional companies the last 3 years it's better to just stay put unless the market really takes off.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
So breh's I was wondering if anyone could fill me in who is currently working in IT as a 1099 contractor. Im a software engineer and I just accepted a position with a startup for 1099 contract. I know have to cover double the payroll taxes and such but is there anything else i need to look for?

Also in terms of taxes, i wanna make sure i write off hella shyt?

Any insight or even a small guide would be appreciated, im used to being salary employee, this contracting shyt is new to me.
I do some 1099 on the side. Make sure the rate that you agree upon takes into account the taxes you'll owe, plus you taking care ofyour own health insurance, etc.

I'd say look into the differences between working as a sole proprietorship vs LLC. the main thing is when it comes to liability. if you make a mistake in your code or whatever work you do that causes them to lose money they can file lawsuits after you and all your personal assets, with an LLC it's treated differently.

get everything in writing. especially your pay schedule. are you going to get paid once a month? twice a month? only after a milestone is completed?will you have to wait 30 days after they get paid by their customer? etc.

when I get my check I typically set aside 30% in a separate account somewhere and just work with my accountant later to figure out the specifics. I would find an accountant who's had experience working with IT professionals on a 1099 basis so they can go over all the typical deductions with you.

recommended reading:

get that paper breh :banderas:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate my job brehs and in definite need for a career change. Technology has always been a strength but having trouble finding my lane.

The best bet is to start with an A+ cert and work your way from there?

Just Rod

Sh!t Rod Says
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
So I currently have A+, Network+, and Security+. Trying to figure out my next move. Im trying to move past this desktop support life. What do ya suggest brehs?

Just Rod

Sh!t Rod Says
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
If your current job doesn't promote from within you'll most likely have to job hop to move past desktop support.
Well I just started this job 3 months ago after leaving my old company because the contract I was working on for 5 years came up for recompete and was awarded to another company. This job offered more money and better benefits but now Im back at the bottom when it comes to promotions.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I just started this job 3 months ago after leaving my old company because the contract I was working on for 5 years came up for recompete and was awarded to another company. This job offered more money and better benefits but now Im back at the bottom when it comes to promotions.

I've gotten promotions after only 6 months after starting a new job. All because I learned some new technology nobody else at the company wanted to deal with.

And if you work in Federal contracting it's usually pretty easy to get promoted.