IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I don't personally utilize any software, but if you want a cheap solution, create a new excel workbook and make a tab for each project that you need to complete. In each worksheet, create a table that is essentially checklist for each element that you need to get done, with the columns being "Task Name" "Objective" "Due Date" and "Completion Percentage". If you want to get fancy, use conditional formatting to highlight the elements of those projects that are due soon.

thanks for the suggestion...i already use excel for other things in my job...im trying to separate this from spreadsheets

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Was just offered a Business Intelligence Developer position at Comcast and have 48 hrs to accept. If I accept this joint I may be out of the Software Development realm for good and just post-up in the Big Data market until I spot my next move :ehh:

I'm thinking I'm gonna except because this will lead to A LOT of dope opportunities down the line.
congrats

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I can't wait to get deep enough into PHP to where I can start manipulating databases. Right now, I'm switching off between learning PHP and Javascript. It's fun developing on both sides.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Broke my production ASA fukking around doing shyt I wasn't supposed to do in the data center.

I get the call at 4PM that no one can VPN in anymore and I've got the :sadcam:

Luckily I had the running-config backed up :wow::whew:

无名的

Superstar
Daps
Probably already in the 53 pages, but no time to weed through...

Any opinions on value of community college education vs. 4 year uni? I already have undergrad degrees and an MBA, so CC will only take me 1 year vs. 2 at a uni and I'll pay 1/4 the cost. No general courses wasting time.

Where does an associate's or bachelor's put your skill level?

I'm an entrepreneur with big ideas, but no network that would provide an equity-driven programmer and not enough capital to hire a programmer on top of other costs associated with a startup. I'm interested in programming and would like to get a concept off the ground myself before going to investors.

My wife works in IT recruiting, so while I primarily want this to do my own thing, I can easily get something through her, so getting a 9-5 isn't an issue.

Is it worth it to study longer and pay more to get a better foundation, or will both just provide a foundation and I'll do most learning through continued education on my own and through any job I'd take?

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Any opinions on value of community college education vs. 4 year uni? I already have undergrad degrees and an MBA, so CC will only take me 1 year vs. 2 at a uni and I'll pay 1/4 the cost. No general courses wasting time.

I'm an entrepreneur with big ideas, but no network that would provide an equity-driven programmer and not enough capital to hire a programmer on top of other costs associated with a startup. I'm interested in programming and would like to get a concept off the ground myself before going to investors.

My wife works in IT recruiting, so while I primarily want this to do my own thing, I can easily get something through her, so getting a 9-5 isn't an issue.

Is it worth it to study longer and pay more to get a better foundation, or will both just provide a foundation and I'll do most learning through continued education on my own and through any job I'd take?

Well you only learn programming through actually sitting down at a computer and programming. School is good if you need help with getting started and need a little bit of guidance ... but anything you can find in school, you can find in books or the internet...So it really becomes a matter of sitting down amd coming up with a plan...How fast do you want to be a great programmer. How much time are you willing to dedicate to programming. every week...that right there will be the reason for you failure or success. By failure I mean not being able to be skilled enough to be able to do it professionaly.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Technical College >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 year uni

You've already been to a 4 year uni, no need to go that route again because you'll just end up wasting time which is $$ and technology changes WAY to fast for that shyt. At a technical/community college, you can jump right into what you're trying to do and depending on how hard you go during your personal time, your learning will be accelerated even faster. shyt, if you really about that life, I would even suggest you to find a local code camp in your city and do that and say fukk school altogether. I know for a fact that you'll be learning what you need to know at the code camps.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
:mjlol: nikka had that 'oh shyt' face

how many users in that environment?

Less than 200. Breh my heart was racing... I think what happened is I went to copy-paste the config into a text file from putty and I inadvertently pasted it back in to the ASA and locked out the VPN account that authenticated back to our AD

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Less than 200. Breh my heart was racing... I think what happened is I went to copy-paste the config into a text file from putty and I inadvertently pasted it back in to the ASA and locked out the VPN account that authenticated back to our AD
:russ: I was wondering how you can "accidentally" break it. Have to make sure I don't make a similar mistake at my new job.

Pain

Rookie
Daps

Do not waste your time with UNI (I mean u already got a degree), there's tons of free programs and cheap books out there that will set u on the right path. Like someone mentioned learn to code and spent 20+ hours a week just practicing.
once you feel like you are satasfied. Hit up coding bootcamps, they have a 8 week program (monday to friday ALL DAY). Once you finish, they guarantee 60K to start job or your money back.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Do not waste your time with UNI (I mean u already got a degree), there's tons of free programs and cheap books out there that will set u on the right path. Like someone mentioned learn to code and spent 20+ hours a week just practicing.
once you feel like you are satasfied. Hit up coding bootcamps, they have a 8 week program (monday to friday ALL DAY). Once you finish, they guarantee 60K to start job or your money back.
Any sites to check to find local coding camps?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Managers/Recruiters are blowning my main phone up, all day, everyday, about shyt :damn:I don't even pick-up from numbers I don't know anymore...is the tech shortage really this bad in Atlanta? I may have to start overcharging nikkas for my services :youngsabo:

Just had a manager from a big company down in Conyers, GA go up $30,000 in yearly salary from what he originally offered me to make the drive from Dunwoody down to Conyers to work for the company. Them nikkas deperate to find BI Developers but no one wants to drive past the airport to work. I know I can't fukk with that drive everyday :merchant:. Plus, I've decided I'm going to inform Comcast that I'll be accepting their offer in the morning.