IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Hey guys, just stumbled on this site and then this thread, lots a great info in here, I just got my big break and landed a job as IT support tech no certs, no experience, no degree. I took a QA class and couple hardware classes in college. Computers have always been a hobby of my, I think what got me the job was I really killed the interview and answered about 90% of the technical questions, I did a google search of IT interview questions and did some preparation before the interview. Also I suggest joining your colleges job board, that how I found this job, its usually a private board with less competition. I'm going for my A+ cert and then planning on getting Network+ and then Security+, now I hear that Network+ is worthless but I really want to build a foundation and get down the basics of networking.

Now my question is I have 3 classes left to get Associate in arts, I know it seems worthless but should I finish it out, just so I have the degree or should I just focus on getting certs?

Well, I'd say maybe do evening/night classes for a year and finish it out...having a degree is generally worth it in the long run, but entry-level jobs are scarce so I definitely wouldn't leave the job to finish it. Especially for an arts degree since that probably wouldn't have any immediate job prospects.

So basically my suggestion is to keep the job, but maybe see if you can go to school part time/online to finish the degree. If it's only three classes then you could take one evening/weekend/online class a semester and still get the degree in a year.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Ok brehs this is my deal. I work full time as an aircraft electrician (civilian contractor). I make close to 75K/yr but i just started going to school for a degree in cyber forensics. I have a friend that will help me with certifications once I earn my BS. How much of a cut in pay will I realistically be looking at? I'm in the DC area btw

Forget a paycut, you might never make it back to 75k again if you actually go down the cyber forensics path.

You got an security clearances? If not it will be hard to get a good paying IT gig in DC. You can get on doing some helpdesk shyt but the pay will be low.

Also you are going to have to answer the question of "why did you leave your current field to get into IT" and "why are you taking up IT now and not before?"

I would think long and hard about your decision, because you will basically be starting over in your career from step 1. If you are living check to check on that 75k a year then realistically you won't be able to live off that new IT salary,

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Hey guys, just stumbled on this site and then this thread, lots a great info in here, I just got my big break and landed a job as IT support tech no certs, no experience, no degree. I took a QA class and couple hardware classes in college. Computers have always been a hobby of my, I think what got me the job was I really killed the interview and answered about 90% of the technical questions, I did a google search of IT interview questions and did some preparation before the interview. Also I suggest joining your colleges job board, that how I found this job, its usually a private board with less competition. I'm going for my A+ cert and then planning on getting Network+ and then Security+, now I hear that Network+ is worthless but I really want to build a foundation and get down the basics of networking.

Now my question is I have 3 classes left to get Associate in arts, I know it seems worthless but should I finish it out, just so I have the degree or should I just focus on getting certs?

Finish your degree. There are several big box companies that will not even interview you without one. Doesn't matter what it is. The thinking is the managers at the top of the chain feel like "hey i had to get a degree to get where I'm at so I am going to make other people get one to if they want to work here"

Unfortunately, the days of getting a job because you were just naturally good with IT or Engineering disciplines are long gone. That guy doesn't even get a shot anymore because he taught himself everything and doesn't have a degree. That guy doesn't stand out when the next 400 applicants have 4 year degrees from some of the top schools in the country. Now of course that doesn't mean they are smarter than the self taught guy, problem is that before you can get an interview you got to get pass that HR screening...and you know what some of the keywords are they are told to pick up on or the application uses..."degree" "bachelors" "masters" "college"...you don't have those you don't even make it past the HR lady desk

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok brehs this is my deal. I work full time as an aircraft electrician (civilian contractor). I make close to 75K/yr but i just started going to school for a degree in cyber forensics. I have a friend that will help me with certifications once I earn my BS. How much of a cut in pay will I realistically be looking at? I'm in the DC area btw

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/computer-forensic-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,25.htm

Your salary will be dependent on how much experience you've got and which industry you choose to work in. Computer forensic isn't an easy field to break into unless you already work in law enforcement. Most states require a private investigator license to even work in that field. If you go the Federal contracting route you can easily make that amount in DC just doing regular Systems administration.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Forget a paycut, you might never make it back to 75k again if you actually go down the cyber forensics path.

You got an security clearances? If not it will be hard to get a good paying IT gig in DC. You can get on doing some helpdesk shyt but the pay will be low.

It's not that hard to get a company to sponsor you for a security clearance. Most Federal contracting companies will hire anyone with a pulse. When I worked in Federal contracting you had guys making 80K a year doing desktop support.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

I don't know breh, you dropping 75K per year in a pretty much stable career field to start from the bottom for cyber forensics? I just don't know about that move man, I couldn't be the one to tell you that's a good move. How old are you? If you just trying to get into IT, there are many other paths that are >> cyber forensics.

:upsetfavre: nikka if you don't go finish your fukking degree. Also, keep going and get a Bachelors as well. These days if you working for a fortune 500 corp, you won't even sniff making it to management without a bachelor's. Just grind it out, you've gotten past the hardest part of obtaining your first big break, now start preparing yourself for your future moves.

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I don't know breh, you dropping 75K per year in a pretty much stable career field to start from the bottom for cyber forensics? I just don't know about that move man, I couldn't be the one to tell you that's a good move. How old are you? If you just trying to get into IT, there are many other paths that are >> cyber forensics.

:upsetfavre: nikka if you don't go finish your fukking degree. Also, keep going and get a Bachelors as well. These days if you working for a fortune 500 corp, you won't even sniff making it to management without a bachelor's. Just grind it out, you've gotten past the hardest part of obtaining your first big break, now start preparing yourself for your future moves.
nikkas throwin good shyt they already got goin for em in the bushes to join the coli #certgang :dead: the hype is real

Just Rod

Sh!t Rod Says
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
Anybody know where I can get some good study material for the MCSA: Windows 7 and MCSA: Server 2012 exams? Not just like test dumps but actual study material (literature, videos, practice tests etc)
Also what should I expect on these exams?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody know where I can get some good study material for the MCSA: Windows 7 and MCSA: Server 2012 exams? Not just like test dumps but actual study material (literature, videos, practice tests etc)
Also what should I expect on these exams?

I sent you a pm.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Working at Comcast seems like it's gonna be a cool deal :ehh:

:scusthov: at them giving me a bytchass iPhone though :smh:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Working at Comcast seems like it's gonna be a cool deal :ehh:

:scusthov: at them giving me a bytchass iPhone though :smh:
Not too much on the iphone breh :upsetfavre:

Im thinking of going for my CCNA real soon. Ill have a degree in Computer science by the end of next summer, but im thinking of taking a break this summer from school so I can get my CCNA and get away from this helpdesk shyt :scusthov:

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
not professionally but yeah i've done a little recently using J-Unit
was looking professionally...used to be doing support but i jumped ship 2 years ago....lot of work but better to me