IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is there a roadmap to get to IT project management? I'm currently Tech Support
Project Manager roles are being cut by companies to save money. They force Managers or technical personnel to manage their own projects. In addition to their other job duties. I haven't worked with any PM's at a company in years.

These ancillary support positions have weird job titles that almost sound made up. But they don't manage anything of importance.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
My two cents... If you have the fundamentals stack (a+, net+, sec +) and at least a year in any field, you can at least get your foot in the door. As you get more experience, add in a role based cert from MSFT then go ham in the niche you choose.

More important than any degree or cert are the actual skills you pick up and display. I'm into Systems Administration right now and I heard more questions about powershell scripting for automation, Azure AD for IAM, intune, DNS, VMware, etc during the interview process than my education or cert stack.

The game is flooded with paper techs so what you can actually do is a way to stand out. Set up a sandbox, play around & master a few enterprise level technologies while fine tuning your soft skills (customer service, time management skills especially} and you should be gtg.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is there a roadmap to get to IT project management? I'm currently Tech Support
I just looked up some of these people job titles on LinkedIn from my past companies. Almost every one has Consultant, Strategy or Business Analyst in the job title. I'm gonna ask my friend who is a Business Analyst how he got his start.

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
I found some comptia a+ books on my pirate site :banderas: they are the latest versions…. Ima throw these on the tablet and get to work… any recommendations as to video courses or any other method of study to prepare?

Edit: the same books are available online at my local library. lol

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Because if you knew what was good for you, you wouldn't be working hard enough to need a To Do List :mjtf:

Looks like I dont smh :snoop:

Just this week: Tableau Update Project spanning 3 departments, Remediation Project for a vulnerability our sec team found in Adobe Creative Cloud on like 6 machines, along with setting up laptops for a 5 person new employee Onboarding, 2 device swaps for device refresh stragglers and following up with 2 different 3rd party vendors on debugging two applications :wtf:.

To do list habit I picked up literally yesterday has been fuego in organizing everything. Should be clear by tomorrow afternoon:whew:

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
IMG-1336.jpg

Got the bootleg study guides on my kindle. Time to get to work :banderas: