IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to start off learning python to really get my feet wet into this programming.

Last edited:

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Studying this A+ really made me realize how much I didn't know about computers :whew:

Now I really want to build my own PC

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Question. How do you guys find is the best way to study & focus. Library? Anything you take to help focus?

Focusing is my main problem :snoop:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Question. How do you guys find is the best way to study & focus. Library? Anything you take to help focus?

You gotta build up that focus and discipline. Start by getting to 30 minutes uninterrupted study. No TV/internet/anything. Go to the library if you need to. For the love of God, don't study in bed if you are. Once you get to 30 mins, bump it up to an hour, then two. Typically what I do is I set my alarm clock for two hour long study sessions with a 15 minute recess in between.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Set small goals that you think you can finish in 3 - 5 days. Before I use to say - I want to write X program and would just start doing it. 99% of the time I would never finish the program. when you do small things, you have a better chance of staying focused and actually stay with it.

Also I only listen to instrumental music when studying. I find that helps

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Computer science or engineering have math requirements, but you can do it with tutoring.
Management Information Systems, MIS, is a bit easier since it is a little bit less math heavy than comp sci/engineering. MIS is usually a part of a business school and not a computer science school of a college.

this is what my degree is in. however, I don't have any certs, and I"m not even doing IT really anymore.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
You gotta build up that focus and discipline. Start by getting to 30 minutes uninterrupted study. No TV/internet/anything. Go to the library if you need to. For the love of God, don't study in bed if you are. Once you get to 30 mins, bump it up to an hour, then two. Typically what I do is I set my alarm clock for two hour long study sessions with a 15 minute recess in between.
idk to alot of people the library kind of has the same effect because it's so damn quiet in there, nikkas be goin crazy

i find the best enviroment is a random cafe in the area, you get that feeling of social interaction so you dont get bored but at the same time they aren't really talking to you so you dont get distracted. also you feel pressured to actually do shyt cuz you dont wanna look like a dumbass sitting there alone doing nothing

works for all kinds of work imo :manny:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
IDK, the best place to study is the best place to study, lol. What I mean is, some nikkas can study just fine with thier headphones on blasting music, other people need the silence of a pen drop. Just gotta figure out your pattern of when you work best. Everybody is different.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IDK, the best place to study is the best place to study, lol. What I mean is, some nikkas can study just fine with thier headphones on blasting music, other people need the silence of a pen drop. Just gotta figure out your pattern of when you work best. Everybody is different.

Real talk....

My sister can study like a beast with Migos yellin "Versace, Versace, Versace!" in her ear. Me on the other hand, I get distracted if I hear myself breathing.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Studying this A+ really made me realize how much I didn't know about computers :whew:

Now I really want to build my own PC

Yeah, the A+ will expose you to a lot of knowledge that you might not have been aware of, even if you believe you are computer literate. Learning about the different BIOs, all of the different recovery/system restore options, all the different types of RAM, etc.

Building a computer really isn't that difficult. There's about 8 or 9 different things you will need to buy. Motherboard, RAM, processor, optical drive (DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.), hard drive, case, power supply, GPU, OS (get the OEM and save $100). From there, all you're essentially doing is mounting the motherboard, plugging in the processor and ram and plugging various drives to connect to the motherboard and to the power supply. The hardest part... well the one that had me most concerned was putting in the processor and closing that gate over it. I was afraid I was going to damage the processor, but it ended up being fine.