IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

Long but breh does practice exams as well after the slides and gives answers. Breh is better than most of the monotone boring crehs on YouTube

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Africa, center of the world.
What type of jobs are you applying to?
Everything entry level (Helpdesk, Support you name it) and also intermediate NOC/Network Tech type jobs especially now that I've got the Network . I've got a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field in STEM and I'm currently working in that field but at this time returning to school specifically an IT degree is not an option for me. I have no issue reading or comprehending new material, if it's simply more certs I need I'm willing to do it.. but I would expect to have at least gotten something meaningful by now.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Got my A+ and Network+ brehs but still no jobs, interviews or offers? Most applications aren't even getting viewed. What's the secret here brehs?
4.5 years in the game and shyt is always like this breh, From November to about May the job market sucks and gets only marginally better until the summer hits, and there's a small 3 month boom when more companies actually start hiring by the boatloads.

Hold tight, and keep applying. It's worth it.

I got laid off in March by my job because they decided to outsource they're entire internal IT department, but luckily my finances are set up and my wife has a great gig that pays and is in a more stable industry.

about stability...

Even when you get a job , always, ALWAYS be applying and keeping your resume in circulation, because you never know when you're gonna need to bounce or have a new company come just in the nick of time when your employment situation is looking shakey.

About your certs...

Theyre cool and all but honestly ...ehhhh, they're not the end all be all, and from my experience most companies dont even check them unless its a DOD (Department of Defense) position, Only reason to go pay for these certs is to bypass Human Resource and recruiters or just in case some potential employer actually decides to check. Not discouraging you from certs, but try not to focus on stacking every known cert possible, everyone new to IT does that because they're desperate to get into the industry or get a better job after the first 6 to 12 months in helpdesk.

Focus on gaining the skills so you can demonstrate you know your stuff to a hring manager to actually get the job.

How do you do that? Find some IT courses online, and set up a home lab using virtual machines so you can follow along and get hands-on experience.

Dont know what to study? cool. Since you already got A+ and Net+ and being in the beginning of your career, Learn Microsoft 365 fundamentals, Active Directory, configuring and resetting multi-factor authentication using Azure and Okta, and keep that net+ knowledge fresh in your brain as you will need it for basic troubleshooting. This is the stuff you will actually do in real life for a level 1 helpdesk role.

another good thing about certs is they serve as a compass to learn new things and the corresponding courses will only further facilitate that learning.
things that will put you on the right track

CCNA prep course because networking will be the most valuable skill in general, dive into it because without it your earning potential and types of jobs you can get will be limited

Wanna be a cloud engineer, gotta know networking,
Cyber Security? a solid networking base will be the easiest way in ,

focus on networking, i cant stress this enough, you will learn all the helpdesk and desktop support shyt on the job, but the 1st thing I would focus on as it pertains to homelabs is networking, in short go for the CCNA lol

After that go for whatever interests you

TL;DR: Get a job 1st, study for the CCNA

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Everything entry level (Helpdesk, Support you name it) and also intermediate NOC/Network Tech type jobs especially now that I've got the Network .
Noc positions been hiring alot lately

Try Peraton's career portal - I see them hiring for NOC positions on a fairly regular basis,
I see you already on the right track with pursuing a networking path, keep at it breh. Once you get the Noc role you want, learn as much as you can.

The same mentality you have about willing to get more certs, apply that to learning new skills. You only need 2-4 certs to make your resume look decent, but having the knowledge to answer a hiring manager's question is what get's the job. I promise you this. by mall mean keep getting certs just dont prioritize them over actual hands-on experience which can be attained on the job and through homelab environments.

I been through everything you're going through breh, and my IT journey started with this thread as well. I didnt know shyt about a A+, or a powershell or active directory...none of that

It took me about 8 months to land my first job in IT and all I had was a warehouse packer background before that. Got my 1st job at $18 an hour and it changed my life at the time. Hopefully it doesnt take as long for you to get in but if it does, stay patient, it's worth it bruh. getting in is always hard

you got the right attitude and on the right path, just holla at me or any of the brehs in here. There's a wealth of knowledge in here , even posts from like 2015 still contain relevant knowledge. Read up, stay inspired and good luck with your search breh.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Noc positions been hiring alot lately

Try Peraton's career portal - I see them hiring for NOC positions on a fairly regular basis,
I see you already on the right track with pursuing a networking path, keep at it breh. Once you get the Noc role you want, learn as much as you can.

The same mentality you have about willing to get more certs, apply that to learning new skills. You only need 2-4 certs to make your resume look decent, but having the knowledge to answer a hiring manager's question is what get's the job. I promise you this. by mall mean keep getting certs just dont prioritize them over actual hands-on experience which can be attained on the job and through homelab environments.

I been through everything you're going through breh, and my IT journey started with this thread as well. I didnt know shyt about a A+, or a powershell or active directory...none of that

It took me about 8 months to land my first job in IT and all I had was a warehouse packer background before that. Got my 1st job at $18 an hour and it changed my life at the time. Hopefully it doesnt take as long for you to get in but if it does, stay patient, it's worth it bruh. getting in is always hard

you got the right attitude and on the right path, just holla at me or any of the brehs in here. There's a wealth of knowledge in here , even posts from like 2015 still contain relevant knowledge. Read up, stay inspired and good luck with your search breh.
Goodness... Saying just thank you for your response feels insufficient. I had spoken to the IT director at my workplace (cac) for guidance and his response was much shorter and a lot less helpful than yours. Last week I asked for him to review my resume and cert path and he never responded. Par for the course for getting help from cacs.

With that being said I really do appreciate your input. The CCNA seems a lot more daunting than the CompTIA stuff, but I'm willing to give it a try as you've suggested. I've noticed it's taken more seriously as a "real" certificate so it should help in the long run.

I hope someday I'll be back on here able to quote you and give a little something more back than a message. It was also a Uber driver breh who got me onto this path after hearing me talk about my somewhat trash current work.

I'll keep at it and hopefully something gives soon. God bless and thanks again.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Goodness... Saying just thank you for your response feels insufficient. I had spoken to the IT director at my workplace (cac) for guidance and his response was much shorter and a lot less helpful than yours. Last week I asked for him to review my resume and cert path and he never responded. Par for the course for getting help from cacs.

With that being said I really do appreciate your input. The CCNA seems a lot more daunting than the CompTIA stuff, but I'm willing to give it a try as you've suggested. I've noticed it's taken more seriously as a "real" certificate so it should help in the long run.

I hope someday I'll be back on here able to quote you and give a little something more back than a message. It was also a Uber driver breh who got me onto this path after hearing me talk about my somewhat trash current work.

Thanks and no prob my guy.

You say the CCNA sounds daunting, I know exactly what will help you

Check out a site called Test Out --> TestOut

They have Courses for the CCNA, and all the main CompTIA cert and some Microsoft certs

this is what I used in the beginning to get my A+

Test out is a god send for those just starting out in the industry because it has

• video lectures
  • practice test with explanations
  • practice exams
  • simulation labs -this is the most important aspect, because you get to physically do something to further illustrate how things work and will retain the information you are taking in.
I know you already have the A+ and Net+ but go through the material especially the labs, this will give you some hands on experience. Those lab simulations are clutch.

The CCNA course is great as, there's alot of overlap with the Net+ in the beginning sections, but things get a bit more in depth as you go along but not super complicated.

You'll also learn about configuring routers and switches via the Cisco IOS command lines, understanding subnetting, how a packet flows through a network. the way things are explained , you will be able to pick up I guarantee.

Just always pace yourself, devise a realistic study schedule; whether that's 2 hours a day like me, a section a day, or 30 minutes a day etc.. figure it out and stick to the plan. Dont rush, You need to micro-dose the information. Dont try to speed run through the material hoping things will magically stick in your head. Take your time. and learn at the pace best suited for you

Udemy has a great course on CCNA as well

Cisco CCNA 200-301 – The Complete Guide to Getting Certified

All you need to follow along is Packet Tracer, which he will explain how to download.

also he already has prebuilt labs set up to where all you have to do is download the files : File -->Open --> and select the .pkt file. the PDF files will contain all the steps you need to do follow i the lab.

Test out can be a bit pricey because its designed for colleges, like $79 bucks, but I think I might have a way around that, just PM me if you decide to go with TestOUT

krexzen

All Star
Daps

In certain areas of I.T., companies look for candidates with vendor specific knowledge and experience. For this reason, vendor certifications are usually more sought-after than the CompTia equivalents. Most companies use Cisco devices in their network which leads to Cisco certs such as the CCNA having greater value. Also, companies do not like devoting time towards training and development. The more experienced and credentialed you appear, the greater your chances.

Personally, I had the CompTia trifecta and a CCNA prior to getting a NOC job. Getting the CCNP helped with becoming an engineer. The CCNP might not be as necessary these days, but network candidates should still strive for the CCNA.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali

Long but breh does practice exams as well after the slides and gives answers. Breh is better than most of the monotone boring crehs on YouTube

I watched breh before but I prefer TG. Goes down the list of objectives in order and also does practice questions at the end of each lesson.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I watched breh before but I prefer TG. Goes down the list of objectives in order and also does practice questions at the end of each lesson.

Whatever works for you. A nice way to keep your history not filled with it vids

Kufi

Pro
Daps
Test out can be a bit pricey because its designed for colleges, like $79 bucks, but I think I might have a way around that, just PM me if you decide to go with TestOUT
Is it possible that I can get the testout work around. Tried to PM, but unable to send.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Thanks and no prob my guy.

You say the CCNA sounds daunting, I know exactly what will help you

Check out a site called Test Out --> TestOut

They have Courses for the CCNA, and all the main CompTIA cert and some Microsoft certs

this is what I used in the beginning to get my A+

Test out is a god send for those just starting out in the industry because it has

• video lectures
  • practice test with explanations
  • practice exams
  • simulation labs -this is the most important aspect, because you get to physically do something to further illustrate how things work and will retain the information you are taking in.
I know you already have the A+ and Net+ but go through the material especially the labs, this will give you some hands on experience. Those lab simulations are clutch.

The CCNA course is great as, there's alot of overlap with the Net+ in the beginning sections, but things get a bit more in depth as you go along but not super complicated.

You'll also learn about configuring routers and switches via the Cisco IOS command lines, understanding subnetting, how a packet flows through a network. the way things are explained , you will be able to pick up I guarantee.

Just always pace yourself, devise a realistic study schedule; whether that's 2 hours a day like me, a section a day, or 30 minutes a day etc.. figure it out and stick to the plan. Dont rush, You need to micro-dose the information. Dont try to speed run through the material hoping things will magically stick in your head. Take your time. and learn at the pace best suited for you

Udemy has a great course on CCNA as well

Cisco CCNA 200-301 – The Complete Guide to Getting Certified

All you need to follow along is Packet Tracer, which he will explain how to download.

also he already has prebuilt labs set up to where all you have to do is download the files : File -->Open --> and select the .pkt file. the PDF files will contain all the steps you need to do follow i the lab.

Thanks a ton breh... I'll try to work on that and hopefully have it cleared by the end of June. I know a steady pace would be great but honestly my current workplace and work environment/schedule has just made this pursuit all the more urgent for me. Believe it or not, I'm only two jobs removed (current job included) from a similar warehouse position as you once had. I'm right now booking the AZ900 for this Saturday. I found a helpful Youtube course for it and I got practice exams through testpreptraining which has been a really valuable resource for me. It's very short notice test-taking but cheaper than the rest and should bolster my job applications while I spend the next few weeks prepping for CCNA.

I'd appreciate more info about that Testout workaround you mentioned.. but as a poster above said, it's not possible to DM you at this time.
All that said, thanks again for your time.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In certain areas of I.T., companies look for candidates with vendor specific knowledge and experience. For this reason, vendor certifications are usually more sought-after than the CompTia equivalents. Most companies use Cisco devices in their network which leads to Cisco certs such as the CCNA having greater value. Also, companies do not like devoting time towards training and development. The more experienced and credentialed you appear, the greater your chances.

Personally, I had the CompTia trifecta and a CCNA prior to getting a NOC job. Getting the CCNP helped with becoming an engineer. The CCNP might not be as necessary these days, but network candidates should still strive for the CCNA.
I guess there's still a way for me to go as far as getting the foundational certs out the way. I appreciate the detail and advice