Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Issaa's whole awkward, just blurting random shyt out shtick is played.
I was very confused by that in this episode. Felt like we were back in season 1.

That's 2 straight seasons where there's a filler episode that has really odd writing throughout IMO. Last season it was the one where Molly and Andrew went away with Andrew's brother, and now this one.

I felt all the jokes and the sequencing were just...odd and lazy. Felt like a bootleg show, especially coming out of last week's strong episode.

I love Kelli and the thick shorty she was vibing with had some funniness...but even shorty's lines and acting were weird/bootleg to me.

Was it my weed?

perfectblack999

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was very confused by that in this episode. Felt like we were back in season 1.

That's 2 straight seasons where there's a filler episode that has really odd writing throughout IMO. Last season it was the one where Molly and Andrew went away with Andrew's brother, and now this one.

I felt all the jokes and the sequencing were just...odd and lazy. Felt like a bootleg show, especially coming out of last week's strong episode.

I love Kelli and the thick shorty she was vibing with had some funniness...but even shorty's lines and acting were weird/bootleg to me.

Was it my weed?

naw I agree. The interactions are weird. The awkward dialogue is actually ok on paper but the execution is off. When people make awkward statements, you gotta handle it like the office or arrested development does it – zoom in, pan, etc. insecure isn’t that type of show though

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
naw I agree. The interactions are weird. The awkward dialogue is actually ok on paper but the execution is off. When people make awkward statements, you gotta handle it like the office or arrested development does it – zoom in, pan, etc. insecure isn’t that type of show though
exactly. i haven't looked at the credits, but i wonder if there was a different writing team on this episode with those quirky lil' one liners like they do on the shows you mentioned.

and personally, i was 100% NOT expecting the Nathan/Issa love angle to be back for this finale. i wasn't expecting her to end with Lawrence and that's cool, but i have never been drawn by the Nathan storyline. it's boring IMO.

if i had to choose, it would've been Daniel, and i feel like the writers kinda did him dirty...but whatever.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Would of been a flex if Daniel was at the club & working with Derulo

:lolbron:

That would of been a dope way to write him in.
Short little cameo to show where he’s at in life and that he isn’t dead. Get this man in the writers room.

Didn’t even fukk with his character all that much, but he was involved in Issa’s life for a significant portion of the show and it would be a nice full circle moment for him to pop back up in the final season.

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jesus Christ, the Lawrence situation showing the bitterness some of y’all have with women is crazy lol.

At this point, Lawrence’s arc is a lot more interesting than Issa’s. An episode dedicated to fleshing out Nate’s character didn’t seem necessary to me.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He has his life together now :mjcry:, should probably tell his cousin he's bi-polar though.

Resha :takedat::whew:

Catset - you really have to let your cat out like that :ohhh:. Thought they were supposed to be low maintenance.

Eat sand-covered Domino's brehs :francis:
I felt like that was just a way to get that “worried about the wrong cat” line in there lol. Cats are low maintenance generally speaking.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not feeling this episode. Issa and Nathan seem to have no chemistry.

Lawrence episode still the best.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
The best part honestly of episode 4 was the ending shot panning up & the night time shot of L.A

That was beautiful.

Outside of It just seems like they're writing themselves into a corner again just like they did in season 3. :manny: ... & this story will go off the rails during the final 3 episodes & they'll predictably resort to the crutch of Lawrence being around to save Issa since he left his Job in S.F to be closer to his son.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Issaa's whole awkward, just blurting random shyt out shtick is played.
It's less being played for me, and more it being forced and unnatural in the context of the scenes. It's like they have to meet a quota for the episode of her saying something awkward that makes everyone around her cringe, but the actual setup and dialogue they are using shouldn't be leading to that much awkward silence and cringe. The awkward girl stuff works for me when she says some outlandish, inappropriate, stream of consciousness shyt to the wrong audience, but the problem is they seem to want that to happen even when she's saying mad normal shyt.

For instance, I don't buy that the whole group would have went dead silent when she made the leaf/root analogy about Nathan. Everyone there was saying dumb goofy shyt. Her comment was perfectly in line with the flow of the conversation yet everyone acted like she said some wtf shyt. I'm sitting there like what is supposed to be so awkward about what she said? :dahell:

It's too forced to be funny.

Same thing happened when she was on stage at Stanford. She had different takes for sure, but there was nothing there that would have had the crowd looking at her like she had three heads. She didn't say some offensive shyt that would have had everyone refusing to even give polite applause or laughter. Too forced to be funny.

They have Flanderized that aspect of her by making it obligatory even when the actual scenes don't warrant it.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Agree with everyone else. Lawrence is all we really care about, his storyline is way more progressive and in depth. I dont even know wtf Issa and the other girls are doing. Are they just looking to hook up ? Arent these broads in their 30s now? Wasnt that S3? They havent grown yet? Lawrence out here with a new job, loft , baby, bm drama and making moves. They need to put the camera back on him.

A spin off with him climbing the corporate ladder, being a single dad ( takes custody of his son), and dating in San Fran would be dope.