Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Was it me, or did the way it was filmed seemed weird? The script or the way the actors recited it felt off to me in a few scenes. Just overall felt different tonight.

:jbhmm:
shyt felt like a sketch show in certain scenes.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Always say this show is the best on tv, whenever it is on, it is also probably the best looking, from cast, to clothing, to the directors palette of LA and all it's rapidly changing neighborhoods, to fixtures like the downtown LA skyline.

The show captures and lightly parodies contemporary millennial culture, and a half dozen other cultural groups or customs, with more skill than anything I have seen, the sharpness of the writing, and the combination of the shows aesthetic, not to mention music, make it a unique show, that stands above almost all else.

I found myself thinking about language, and it's power, after watching a dozen or so episodes over the weekend, and the premiere. There is a real study and examination of language on the show, that is taking place. Whether intentional or not, I thought a lot about the way many, on and off the screen, esp. in my generation, wrap our sentences and expressions in thick irony and sarcasm, afraid of some unknown vulnerability, so even our expressions of praise and comfort are muted and balanced with nod that we are less than serious, or subtly mocking the other person.

I would have to run it back to quote it, but the exchange with Issa's brother as a DJ, "I got a request", was great. I loved the way the episode ended in the twilight, cleaning up the trash, like another episode at a party in the Hills, where things unraveled a bit towards the end of the party.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
is this show still trying to make a female heroine out of a female villain.
then rewriting the hero bf like he was wrong and shyt.

art barr

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
nice season opener.....but I feel the Lawrence storyline is being forced....they fukked up takin him out the picture the first time...now its all off....:francis:

Issa chose a poor excuse to distance herself from Molly....like u never had nobody tell u bout yourself??....counterattack and move on....:yeshrug:

i'm still super in luv with Kelli.....i want all of her...:wow: