Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Insecure had another good season. For some reason, I feel like you can watch the first and last 2-3 episodes of the season and understand the entire story line still. There's too much filler in the middle episodes, but that doesn't mean that they're bad. It's great catching all the nuances that makes all these characters, "insecure"

Also I think Issa and Laurence are way more relatable then people think

My guesses for next season:
Dro wife gonna be like, "what open marriage?" When molly brings it up to her. Which leads to molly taking a string of L's (and D's :dame:) to "help" with her depressive moods

Daniel is gonna kick Issa out for some dumb shyt she did, which will lead for him to do some dumb shyt and cheat on her. He done simping in season 3

Issa boujie friend and her husband got some MAJOR problems going on that they're tryna solve with a baby. Maybe infidelity? Is it even his?

I hope Laurence stays on the show. He's the relatable male version of Issa, that's great for the male audience to relate with, and also creates great debate between men and women

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
he wasnt holding her down
he was paying his half
he was a bum cuz he was trying to get out of the rut he was in
a couple months maybe but 2yrs is bum status to me

I honestly don't even think he was paying 1/2. My theory is that Issa & Lawrence moved in together b/c he no longer could afford his own apartment after a layoff. Why else would they live in that apartment...especially when Lawrence was in a high paying field. They probably had to stay there b/c they could only be approved on Issa's income alone. I feel like Lawrence was contributing an average of 35%. And that's a decent contribution but it's not half.

Issa was able to pay the rent...she just couldn't pay the increase.

According to a 2017 CNBC article, 49% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Another article states that black, educated women have a net worth of -$11k. That being said, it's not surprising that Issa cannot absorb the the rent increase.

I'm not saying that we (or Issa) shouldn't collectively do better financially. I'm just saying that Issa's trajectory is in line with the statistics...which is why I'm still pissed that Issa didn't get the promotion...but I digress.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I'm puzzled about the finale to say the least. In my head, relationships aren't that complex, however I am just one man. At the very least, the characters are consistently dysfunctional. My takeaway from this finale and season in summation is that women are extremely complex.

Apollo Kid

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Boom Bap Era
Might be in the minority but the finale was :ld: Glad Lawrence didn't get back with Issa, mishandled the Aparna situation but it's the best for him in the long run.

I think they're setting up for Issa and Lawrence to end up together by the end of next season.

Oh Tiffany's bougie ass would smashed on site :ohlawd: We need more Amanda Seales next season :takedat:

Molly will forever be taking L's :snoop:
Dro will eventually get tired of the puss and move on to something better

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
What was complex?
My ability to rationalize the decisions made by everyone including the men. I singled out the women because quite frankly, most of the dudes I know live pretty simple lives. My takeaways from the episode was that most of the dudes (Lawrence, Dro, Chad, Daniel, etc) want stability but the women don't.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
No.

There is absolutely no reason for Lawrence to come back next season. His arc is done. The only reason he was in this season was to give Issa closure from their breakup.

Was telling @mastermind he was needed but he disagreed, I'm coming around to that idea. From the Issa perspective he's not necessary.

I do think he has some value but the show wouldn't lose much without him.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I honestly don't even think he was paying 1/2. My theory is that Issa & Lawrence moved in together b/c he no longer could afford his own apartment after a layoff. Why else would they live in that apartment...especially when Lawrence was in a high paying field. They probably had to stay there b/c they could only be approved on Issa's income alone. I feel like Lawrence was contributing an average of 35%. And that's a decent contribution but it's not half.

Issa was able to pay the rent...she just couldn't pay the increase.

According to a 2017 CNBC article, 49% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Another article states that black, educated women have a net worth of -$11k. That being said, it's not surprising that Issa cannot absorb the the rent increase.

I'm not saying that we (or Issa) shouldn't collectively do better financially. I'm just saying that Issa's trajectory is in line with the statistics...which is why I'm still pissed that Issa didn't get the promotion...but I digress.
Issa had a new car before she wrecked it though. Was it a lease?

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
My ability to rationalize the decisions made by everyone including the men. I singled out the women because quite frankly, most of the dudes I know live pretty simple lives. My takeaways from the episode was that most of the dudes (Lawrence, Dro, Chad, Daniel, etc) want stability but the women don't.

Eh. I think that everyone, but Chad, wants stability.

Issa has had faux stability for so long, that she thinks that she missed out on a hoe phase. I think she's seeing the light now.

Molly wants stability but cannot see the reality of stability outside of her picture perfect, cookie cutter, fantasy. Maybe Molly unconsciously doesnt want stability. Her & Chad. But everyone else wants it...for sure.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Eh. I think that everyone, but Chad, wants stability.

Issa has had faux stability for so long, that she thinks that she missed out on a hoe phase. I think she's seeing the light now.

Molly wants stability but cannot see the reality of stability outside of her picture perfect, cookie cutter, fantasy. Maybe Molly unconsciously doesnt want stability. Her & Chad. But everyone else wants it...for sure.
I took Chad as wanting stability because he is engaged otherwise, he could just stay single and play the field. He has also been the most level headed and rational man on the show this season.