Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I would really suggest a more empathetic and nuanced approach to watching this show, and life in general.

I would say the word "hoe" is like 7/10 times used to shame women sexually, and not based in any objective or comparable reality, when Lawrence calls her a hoe for cheating with ONE person, her ex, is one of those times. It's like the lowest, most hurtful thing a man can tell a women, but how often is it accurate?

Calling Molly a hoe for sleeping with Dro is also one of those times. What is the standard being applied here? If she had a one night stand with a single man, I don't doubt many posters would call her a hoe for that too.

Last edited:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I would really suggest a more empathetic and nuanced approach to watching this show, and life in general.

I would say the word "hoe" is like 7/10 times used to shame women sexually, and not based in any objective or comparable reality, when Lawrence calls her a hoe for cheating with ONE person, her ex, is one of those times. It's like the lowest, most hurtful thing a man can tell a women, but how often is it accurate?

Calling Molly a hoe for sleeping with Dro is also one of those times. What is the standard being applied here? If she had a one night stand with a single man, I don't doubt many posters would call her a hoe for that too.

Are you arguing that a woman who cheats on their partner is not a "hoe"?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It's entirely circumstantial, in that context. In Issa's case, no I don't think that qualifies. What I am trying to get to, is a discussion on what the relative standards are for applying the word.

No, I don't think just the act of cheating equals a "hoe".

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Calling Molly a hoe is really sexist and inaccurate. If she's a hoe, than you are subscribing to near oppressive Middle Eastern standards of being considered not a "hoe". None of the main main characters are really "hoes", they are people at various stages of relationships and sex in their early 30's/late 20's. This is normal.
I supported this until she got piped in the bathroom while Dro's wife was at the table. Then she stepped out after him. She a hoe.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It's in poor taste, unhealthy, bad judgement, and certainly no more destructive than to Molly herself. But, this doesn't define someone's character. Everyone, or I expect most people (in this thread, and watching the show) have done something similar in terms of what's being judged, if not the exact scenario. If I've slept with someone who had a boyfriend, am I to be described as a hoe? When, in reality I am extremely discerning with whom, and for what reason, I have sex?

What is telling is no one is calling Dro a "hoe", or even questioning his actions.

Last edited:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
It's entirely circumstantial, in that context. In Issa's case, no I don't think that qualifies. What I am trying to get to, is a discussion on what the relative standards are for applying the word.

No, I don't think just the act of cheating equals a "hoe".

:mjlol:
The reasonable expectation that people have in monogamous relationships is not to engage in sexual relations with people outside of their union. You don't even know what relativism even means, since it certainly doesn't apply in this case.

The normative characterization of a "hoe" includes not only promiscious sexual activity, but indecent sexual behaviour. That would include having an affair.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I agree having an affair would be considered "indecent", but is it fair to characterize someone who has had an affair, as a hoe, applying to any and all context? This is what towns were like during the Salem Witch trials, this how rigid and fixed these belief systems you are pushing are.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
I lost all respect for Daniel this season :francis:

Instead of checking Issa for that shyt she pulled at the end of the first season, he just passively dismissed it
This past episode is he's apologizing for having an organism and begging like a simp
What part of the game is this

You gotta remember this show is written by women fam

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I agree having an affair would be considered "indecent", but is it fair to characterize someone who has had an affair, as a hoe, applying to any and all context? This is what towns were like during the Salem Witch trials, this how rigid and fixed these belief systems you are pushing are.

- Yes, it is fair. What context would preclude from Issa from being designated a hoe?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
It's in poor taste, unhealthy, bad judgement, and certainly no more destructive than to Molly herself. But, this doesn't define someone's character. Everyone, or I expect most people (in this thread, and watching the show) have done something similar in terms of what's being judged, if not the exact scenario. If I've slept with someone who had a boyfriend, am I to be described as a hoe? When, in reality I am extremely discerning with whom, and for what reason, I have sex?

What is telling is no one is calling Dro a "hoe", or even questioning his actions.
Dro is a dawg yes a hoe. No one is co-signing him. But Molly sleeping with him when she knows he's married and could easily find out his lie is also being a hoe.
Equating name calling to Salem witch trials where people were killed is the height of hyperbole. Being a hoe isn't even that bad, look at Issa. She been aspiring to that shyt all season.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA

Dro is smashing his childhood friend in the bathroom while his wife is a few yards away. Dro is potentially lying about being in an open relationship. Dro is a hoe, and his moves have been extremely questionable.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Calling Molly a hoe is really sexist and inaccurate. If she's a hoe, than you are subscribing to near oppressive Middle Eastern standards of being considered not a "hoe". None of the main main characters are really "hoes", they are people at various stages of relationships and sex in their early 30's/late 20's. This is normal.
They call themselves hoes breh. :comeon: