Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Reading through this thread is embarrassing.

Damn. Yall dudes really hate women. fukk is wrong with Yall? Some chick break your heart so you gonna be bitter your whole life?

Maybe it's because I'm really close with my 2 sisters but I've always had just as many female friends as male. I love just being around women in general.

I guess if you spend all your time with males all day and you only think of women as something to fukk you just can't relate to women at all? I don't know.

Yall need therapists.

Last edited:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Reading through this thread is embarrassing.

Damn. Yall dudes really hate women. fukk is wrong with Yall? Some chick break your heart so you gonna be bitter your whole life?

Maybe it's because I'm really close with my 2 sisters but I've always had just as many female friends as male. I love just being around women in general.

I guess if you spend all your time with males all day and you only think of women as something to fukk you just can't relate to women at all? I don't know.

Yall need therapists.
not really we want to support but we are expecting like her previous work for things to take a :mjpls: turn, a lot of us have been up on her since her early start on youtube and been supporting black series on youtube

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
The men portrayed aint even that bad. Y'all gon act like y'all don't know dudes like that? Even on the webseries she never shyt on black dudes. She just ended up with a white guy. Not like she wasnt chasing after the black guy for half the show and even he wasnt a flat out bad guy. Her characters are multidimensional like real people.

Only thug was blood dad. I didn't see anyone packing or with a criminal record or selling drugs but because they went to a hip hop open mic in the hood they thugs?

The dude talking to Molly was cool, the guy crying over his girlfriend was different, the old flame from high school was realistic and actually doing something with his talents as a music producer. Even her boyfriend is just a dude who's been with his gf for 5 years and got complacent. Its the male version of the girlfriend who was sexy as hell, hair did, nails did, everything did when yall first got together, and now she just wears a bun and sweats all day and is putting on weight.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I have EXTREME conflicting thoughts and emotions regarding this show.

On one hand it is plain as day that Issa Rae is a talented performer/writer/show runner. Some of the points she makes through this shows two episodes hits so close to truth that it's remarkable. The humor is there, the chemistry between her and her best friend is fantastic, the look and feel of the show is just below Atlanta levels of engrossing..

On the other hand, the depiction of black males on this show is so utterly offensive that it literally makes my skin crawl. I absolutely HATE it and everything it says about the modern day black male.

I think, that after watching last night's episodes that that defensive hatred might have clouded my mind to what I'd HOPE someone like Issa Rae (beautiful, smart, determined) would want to convey regarding black male/female relationships. Someone earlier within this thread asked a question. Why are those of us who praise Donald Glover and Atlanta, with its depictions of poor, irresponsible black men and their misadventures, so quick to criticize Issa Rae and Insecure? My initial thought, and subsequent response, was both dismissive and dare I say it, arrogant.

"there are levels to Atlanta:martin:"

"Atlanta doesn't depict black women as whores and ratchet cliches"

"The characters are multi-layered, you see exactly WHY the characters are in the position and mind set that they are in. Insecure only adheres to stereotypes :camby:"

These were all knee-jerk reactions. I did not afford Issa Rae, and her creative vision, the same amount of open-mindedness that I did Atlanta. Now I admit that I did this for several reasons. Issa Rae's claim to fame web series, The Adventures Of Awkward Black Girl, rubbed me the wrong way initially, as it depicted her character choosing to date a white man over a black man. Helping to further the stereotype that black women are better off with our cultural, economical, and historical oppressors.

So perhaps I owe Issa Rae, as a black woman, more than a knee jerk reaction. Even as I continue to feel revolted by the depiction of, literally every single black male the show has introduced thus far; it HAS to be going somewhere right:lupe: This college educated, BLACK woman, raised and reared by a two parent black household (with a Doctor father who ran his own practice) deserves the benefit of the doubt that she has something more poignant to say and represent other than "black men ain't shyt"....

These and other thoughts on my next article. Titled: Insecure In Atlanta. Coming soon....

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim

On one hand it is plain as day that Issa Rae is a talented performer/writer/show runner. Some of the points she makes through this shows two episodes hits so close to truth that it's remarkable. The humor is there, the chemistry between her and her best friend is fantastic, the look and feel of the show is just below Atlanta levels of engrossing..

On the other hand, the depiction of black males on this show is so utterly offensive that it literally makes my skin crawl. I absolutely HATE it and everything it says about the modern day black male.

I think, that after watching last night's episodes that that defensive hatred might have clouded my mind to what I'd HOPE someone like Issa Rae (beautiful, smart, determined) would want to convey regarding black male/female relationships. Someone earlier within this thread asked a question. Why are those of us who praise Donald Glover and Atlanta, with its depictions of poor, irresponsible black men and their misadventures, so quick to criticize Issa Rae and Insecure? My initial thought, and subsequent response, was both dismissive and dare I say it, arrogant.

"The characters are multi-layered, you see exactly WHY the characters are in the position and mind set that they are in. Insecure only adheres to stereotypes :camby:"

These were all knee-jerk reactions. I did not afford Issa Rae, and her creative vision, the same amount of open-mindedness that I did Atlanta. Now I admit that I did this for several reasons. Issa Rae's claim to fame web series, The Adventures Of Awkward Black Girl, rubbed me the wrong way initially, as it depicted her character choosing to date a white man over a black man. Helping to further the stereotype that black women are better off with our cultural, economical, and historical oppressors.

So perhaps I owe Issa Rae, as a black woman, more than a knee jerk reaction. Even as I continue to feel revolted by the depiction of, literally every single black male the show has introduced thus far; it HAS to be going somewhere right:lupe: This college educated, BLACK woman, raised and reared by a two parent black household (with a Doctor father who ran his own practice) deserves the benefit of the doubt that she has something more poignant to say and represent other than "black men ain't shyt"....

These and other thoughts on my next article. Titled: Insecure In Atlanta. Coming soon....
:laff:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Can someone tell me exactly what a hotep is?
Afrocentric ankh/black fist/kente cloth/dashiki wearing, egypt/moor worshiping people, usually guys.

"black woman is God"
Always complaining about the white man, thugs, weaves, IR relationships and people who arent "woke".

Except the men who hate women dating out say its okay to fukk with white women just not marry or have kids. Many hoteps use the whole conscious act to make a woman feel like a Queen/Goddess to sleep with them.

The women are usually natural, into crystals, meditation and yoga. Kinda like hippies or radical keyboard activists.

Basically most hotep artwork involves pharoahs, black fists, the shape of Africa and (at least)half naked women.

Funny thing about hoteps is even they have gender wars online. Hating on single mothers and women who only want thugs.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago

I'm stunned nikkas on here hold this much weight on portrayals of fictional characters and fictional relationships.

Like nikkas really expect creators to curate these cookie cutter meme ass ideals of how relationships are to the unfulfilled standards of people who were already coming into her work with a negative or particular mindset.

Never mind the backstory that she'd been shacking up with this nikka for four years (mind you he mentions he may have been working on a business plan, not trying to be a rapper or a dope boy) and felt like like she was going nowhere with the relationship. Which happens in real life.

Or the music producer dude who hit her up that she was having second thoughts on (because of her current relationship showing she still showed some aspect of consideration and loyalty towards him despite his shortcomings) only for him to declare that he wasn't looking to be in a relationship. Which happens in real life.

"bu bu bu sterotypes, not as multidimensional as Atlanta! :mjcry:there's levels too it!"

Earn is nikka working a dead end job trying to be a manager to his weed dealing, rapper cousin. Parent's kicked him out for as of now, unclear reasons and Van wanted to open a fashion boutique. Truly groundbreaking characters for black actors.

:ohhh: Oh yeah, how come Donald couldn't get a darker skin actress to play Van? And why couldn't Paperboi hit on a black reporter instead of white one?

God get the fukk over yourself, the world will still be here, whether or not you like a fukking tv show, pleb ass nikka. :heh:

ImmaGetJoeClarkArrested

The Goshfather
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles So Wut U Wanna Do??
:yeshrug:
Show is decent....I like the characters more than the dialogue...

I like the L.A. aspects of it...I walk by that Chinese restaurant that Issa and her friend ate at, all the time and they never let me use the bathroom....

I like that she lives in the jungles and works around the corner from her house....even though they turned a theater into an office space

Oh yeah....where she hopped on stage used to be an actual club on Crenshaw...my older brother and sister used to go there on comedy night to see Chris Tucker before he blew

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm stunned nikkas on here hold this much weight on portrayals of fictional characters and fictional relationships.

Like nikkas really expect creators to curate these cookie cutter meme ass ideals of how relationships are to the unfulfilled standards of people who were already coming into her work with a negative or particular mindset.

Never mind the backstory that she'd been shacking up with this nikka for four years (mind you he mentions he may have been working on a business plan, not trying to be a rapper or a dope boy) and felt like like she was going nowhere with the relationship. Which happens in real life.

Or the music producer dude who hit her up that she was having second thoughts on (because of her current relationship showing she still showed some aspect of consideration and loyalty towards him despite his shortcomings) only for him to declare that he wasn't looking to be in a relationship. Which happens in real life.

"bu bu bu sterotypes, not as multidimensional as Atlanta! :mjcry:there's levels too it!"

Earn is nikka working a dead end job trying to be a manager to his weed dealing, rapper cousin. Parent's kicked him out for as of now, unclear reasons and Van wanted to open a fashion boutique. Truly groundbreaking characters for black actors.

:ohhh: Oh yeah, how come Donald couldn't get a darker skin actress to play Van? And why couldn't Paperboi hit on a black reporter instead of white one?

God get the fukk over yourself, the world will still be here, whether or not you like a fukking tv show, pleb ass nikka. :heh:

You obviously didnt read the entire post and for that, I mourn your lack of reading comprehension

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
You obviously didnt read the entire post and for that, I mourn your lack of reading comprehension

I mourn for the fact a TV show gets you nikkas this heated.

Wish ya'll felt the same way about shyt that actually pertains to black women and effects them directly. But you have an article that maybe 65 people will skim read , to write.