Israel calls Brazil a ‘diplomatic dwarf’ – and then brings up World Cup humiliation

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Yup. Even many journalists who otherwise would just be filing formal sounding reports -- on Twitter they go over scenes of suffering, post photographs, give off the cuff reactions ... there are shades of Vietnam to it actually, in terms of the way the media sends back images and makes people think over things

The media here has SLOWLY begun to shift slightly towards neutral. Nothing significant but some. They know they can't compete with the 24/7 social media stream of photos, videos and neutral reports.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
The media here has SLOWLY begun to shift slightly towards neutral. Nothing significant but some. They know they can't compete with the 24/7 social media stream of photos, videos and neutral reports.

What's odd is that I consider The Onion and the Daily Show good weather vanes for this kinda "get the pulse of things" measurement.. they show which way the youth mentality trends

This is a classic from the last Gaza assault in 2012: http://www.theonion.com/articles/8yearold-palestinian-boy-pleasantly-surprised-he-h,30446/

8-Year-Old Palestinian Boy Pleasantly Surprised He Hasn't Been Killed Yet

GAZA CITY—As civilian casualties continue to mount amid the escalating conflict along the Gaza Strip, 8-year-old Palestinian boy Walid Suleiman expressed both joy and astonishment Monday that he has yet to be killed in an Israeli military attack. “Boy, I thought I’d be dead by this past Saturday for sure, but amazingly enough, here I am,” said Suleiman, adding that he is “pleased, but pretty shocked” not to be among the estimated 100 Palestinians left dead by widespread Israeli airstrikes in the region over the past six days. “I’d have bet you anything that by today they’d have already dug my corpse out from underneath a giant pile of rubble and buried me alongside the rest of my family. Guess I won the lottery, eh?” At press time, incoming Israeli aircraft could be heard swiftly approaching as Suleiman limped back to his home.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
And I don't feel that it makes Brazils critic invalid but they're killing and displacing their own citizens for money. No one is holding them accountable on the world stage. That's seriously wrong.
The article also glosses over the fact Brazil has had several dictatorships that were extremely fukked up and is itself a segregated society.

I agree with all the above. What happened leading up to the World Cup, in terms of state-sponsored violence and corruption, should have had global ramifications and condemning. Same with their treatment of natives and the destruction of indigenous lands and forrest in the modern era (historically would be even worse), including the present.

Great points.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
What's odd is that I consider The Onion and the Daily Show good weather vanes for this kinda "get the pulse of things" measurement.. they show which way the youth mentality trends

This is a classic from the last Gaza assault in 2012: http://www.theonion.com/articles/8yearold-palestinian-boy-pleasantly-surprised-he-h,30446/

Yea, but in my opinion the Daily Show has dropped the ball here. Stewart made one comment sympathizing with civilians in Gaza and you could tell he got smoked for it. Their next show he had to essentially get up there and disassociate himself from supporting Hamas, and the topic wasn't approach again from what I heard. Spent a lot of time in Ukraine.

I'm curious to see how Last Week Tonight with John Oliver approaches it. They haven't held any punches on that show, from condemning GM for murder to attacking HBO's corporate owners.

merklman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
N17
Brazil was one of 29 countries to vote for a UN' Human Rights Council proposal for an investigation into allegations of Israeli human rights violations during the current conflict in the Gaza Strip. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called the vote "a travesty" and said it "should be rejected by decent people everywhere."

This doesnt make sense. If there were no violations made, then why are the US/Israelis against an investigation?

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Basically burn Brazilian bridges because brutality beckons blame brehs
tumblr_m4ujltybmb1r57aczo1_400.gif

DAlbert

All Star
Daps

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers