Is this true that the Buddha was black?

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
*********** said:
So you guys are saying that the original Buddhas where wearing a porcupine hat rather then having 9 ether hair with corn rolls and coiled hair? Really? If that's what you believe then that's you and fine, but post the information that you read and where you got it from, brother.

The original Buddha was never depicted while alive. The statues and paintings you see are artists renditions of him many years after he was dead. The reason most people believe what is on his head in most depictions is a hat or some type of covering is because Buddhists are always bald.......​

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/bmc2.ch01.html

Hair of the head. The hair of the head should not be worn long. It should be shaved at least every two months or when the hair has grown to a length of two fingerbreadths — whichever occurs first, says the Commentary. In Thailand there is the custom that all bhikkhus shave their heads on the same day, the day before the full moon, so that the Community can present a uniform appearance. Although this is not obligatory, a bhikkhu who does not follow the custom tends to stand out from his fellows.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The original Buddha was never depicted while alive. The statues and paintings you see are artists renditions of him many years after he was dead. The reason most people believe what is on his head in most depictions is a hat or some type of covering is because Buddhists are always bald.......​

Most Buddhists don't believe it's a hat, breh. It's just his hair, but it's not cornrows. It's the stylized depiction of hair that results from Asian artists adopting Greek methods. Most of the early Buddha statues and paintings were from areas where the influence of Alexander's invasions was still felt (Gandhara in modern Afghanistan, Mathura in modern India) and clearly look like Greek-style pieces, complete with wavy hair:
108901364_37d7ac407d.jpg

This influence died out, though, and later artists just stylized the waves into the dots or "cornrows," which are much easier to do, maybe because the technique became lost. Notice that the same simplification happened with the folds in the cloth, too. As for the hairstyle, Buddha wasn't beholden to the standards he set up for the monks, even in the primary sources, since he was enlightened, and the monkhood, with all its trappings, is just a tool to that end, though it's probable he presented himself as just another monk. Regardless, the bun hairstyle was common among royalty, most of whom had long hair (and among some ascetics too,) just like the long, extended ear lobes (which come from years of wearing heavy golden earrings, a sign of the elite's wealth) so artists probably chose it thinking they were being historically accurate, and used it to signifiy his lineage and add some cultural gravitas and sense of authority to the depictions, additionally facilitated by the fact that most S. Asians in general already depicted their deities with the traits of royalty.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
lol, I hate that stannish, overzealous Afrocentricity. No one can disprove humanity began in the Rift Valley because lots of evidence backs up the claim but all this other shyt is :russ: worthy. Next thing you gon tell me Beethoven and Abraham Lincoln were black. :pachaha:

I'm not even saying don't pursue the study of Africa's relationship with the development of religions in other countries if proof can be found that there's a connection then great but speculation isn't exactly fact. Africans have done great things as is without having to culture jack like cacs did.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
I dunno what a African is but the buddha that everyone tends to consider the "first" buddha was black, a man of color indeed.

Your nation teaches that anybody that isn't white is black, so in that sense we don't disagree on what the Buddha was.

When I say "black" in this thread I'm referring to people of black African "negro" descent. I hate the word negro but it is what it is, people here obviously have their own qualifications as to what does and does not constitute black.

Dr. Sebi Jr.

Trust Me
Daps
Reppin
Not Technically a "Doctor"
people here obviously have their own qualifications as to what does and does not constitute black.
Anyone ever who was good was a BLACK melanated Kemetian from Sirius B. Anyone ever who was bad was a Cauctopulated white grafted DEVIL. Dr. Polight showed and PROVED this with KNOWLEDGE. We do NOT need to go to the white devil's colleges and study JEW LIES like biology or engineering. BLACK people will RISE out of poverty by listening to old drunks on street corners rant about the number SEVEN and the word OVERSTANDING. Also we must financially SUPPORT The Honorable Minister Tariq Nasheed so that he can show and prove that Vladimir Putin was BLACK. And we must give our daughters to 360 degree Mason Dr. Malachi York Bey. Knowledge is POWER.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Anyone ever who was good was a BLACK melanated Kemetian from Sirius B. Anyone ever who was bad was a Cauctopulated white grafted DEVIL. Dr. Polight showed and PROVED this with KNOWLEDGE. We do NOT need to go to the white devil's colleges and study JEW LIES like biology or engineering. BLACK people will RISE out of poverty by listening to old drunks on street corners rant about the number SEVEN and the word OVERSTANDING. Also we must financially SUPPORT The Honorable Minister Tariq Nasheed so that he can show and prove that Vladimir Putin was BLACK. And we must give our daughters to 360 degree Mason Dr. Malachi York Bey. Knowledge is POWER.
:dead: