Is there a pro-black movement in Brazil?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I would ask why the majority of Afro-Brazilians live outside of the quilombos.
But is that not a movement towards autonomy?
And is black separation at all an popular ideology anywhere in the diaspora?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
But is that not a movement towards autonomy?
And is black separation at all an popular ideology anywhere in the diaspora?

No, if they were moving to the quilombos and investing in it then we'd have a different argument. Quilombos were created out of desperation not self-determination but have the potential to be more though I don't see any support for that type of thinking.

All Black nations have no need for that type of ideology, just smart business.

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
What do you mean by autonomy

I also want to know
71A0TjW.png

I would ask why the majority of Afro-Brazilians live outside of the quilombos.

Live in quilombos in 2017 brehs :russ:

Breh do you know what quilombo means here in Brazil? :lolbron:

Quilombo was nothing more than a refuge for enslaved Africans, some exist to this day but no negro would like to live there :mjlol:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Live in quilombos in 2017 brehs :russ:

Breh do you know what quilombo means here in Brazil? :lolbron:

Quilombo was nothing more than a refuge for enslaved Africans, some exist to this day but no negro would like to live there :mjlol:

sad

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
No, if they were moving to the quilombos and investing in it then we'd have a different argument. Quilombos were created out of desperation not self-determination but have the potential to be more though I don't see any support for that type of thinking.

All Black nations have no need for that type of ideology, just smart business.
????
Maroon communities everywhere are examples of self determination

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
????
Maroon communities everywhere are examples of self determination

Nope, Maroon communities were not created out of self determination. The eventual decay of Maroon communities is evidence of lack of autonomy, though.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
its 100 % fact that maroon communities were formed out of the motivation to escape not build :yeshrug:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
its 100 % fact that maroon communities were formed out of the motivation to escape not build :yeshrug:
so how do you explain certain maroon communities organizing governments and stable communities?
how do you explain the marronage that occurred preceding and during the Haitian Revolution?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Of course they had to set up a governing body but that does not mean that was the motivation for the creation of the settlements.

They escaped (prime motivation), they settled and with settlement came the need to create rules and regulations :yeshrug:

The maroon communities COULD be an example of autonomy but I don't see any evidence of any ideology that will promote it as such.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Of course they had to set up a governing body but that does not mean that was the motivation for the creation of the settlements.

They escaped (prime motivation), they settled and with settlement came the need to create rules and regulations :yeshrug:

The maroon communities COULD be an example of autonomy but I don't see any evidence of any ideology that will promote it as such.
Do former slaves in Jamaica that establish communities when the Spanish abandoned Jamaica count?
or the Garifuna?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I'll say it again, how things work here in Brazil.

We black Brazilians have a close bond with our African roots, over centuries, silently fighting for equality, denouncing the oppression and segregation in which we are imposed every day. But these movements rarely get any media, because that's what the government here is so concerned about hiding. The same Government that considers 53% of the population BLACK!

:mjlol:

I bet foreigners rarely associate such images with Brazil:

Black march(1988) under the military eyes :mjpls:
MARCHA+88.jpg

3_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

6_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

8_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

movimento-negro-passeata.jpg

Recently
image_large

marcha-consciencia-negra-1-650x450.jpg

5756-marcha-da-consciencia-negra-protesta-contra-abolicao-da-escravidao-ainda-inconclusa-no-brasil.jpg

ferguson%C3%A9aqui.jpg

CNT_EXT_225897.jpg

protestos_dia-20_1.jpg

ato-3.jpg

1501437712273.jpg

marcha_paulista_negro_foto_ctb52128.png

17629680_599645830233342_4877670003364544796_n.jpg

From the outside, it seems that nothing is happening here and that we are not doing anything. Brazil is one of the most racist countries in the world, we are discriminated against and we fight against it every day, however, the policy of "let it go" by the government ends up covering up the segregation that exists here.

Weren't there some actions around the Olympics (or was it the World Cup) when sites had to be built over a slaves cemetery or something like that, I think I read a couple articles back then

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Tbh I'm not well read on those specific communities to say y/n

Were they created with premeditation or were they a reaction to another group's actions?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. The point is that autonomy IS possible. The fact maroon communities are not flourishing don't make me confident that ideology built around autonomy has any gas at the moment.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Tbh I'm not well read on those specific communities to say y/n

Were they created with premeditation or were they a reaction to another group's actions?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. The point is that autonomy IS possible. The fact maroon communities are not flourishing don't make me confident that ideology built around autonomy has any gas at the moment.
Garifuna were founded on St. Vincent as the result of indigenous and former African captives that survived a ship wreck intermarrying. St. Vincent was not settled until late as the French and British left them alone. They were later deported to Central America.
There's another group in Nicaragua that are very similar, the Miskito, they are descendants of former captives that survived shipwrecks and the natives and were independent until the later 1800s.

the first Jamaican Maroons were established after the Spanish abandoned Jamaica. they were recognized by the British as independent until the Second Maroon War.