Is there a pro-black movement in Brazil?

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Pro-blackness has always been something primarily propagated and championed by African-Americans and Caribbeans, and even continental Africans.

But a lot of South American countries, particularly Brazil are never much thought in the discussion of the diaspora, and pro-blacknes, and anti-white supemacy, etc. :jbhmm:

I remember seeing this Aljazeera video a couple years ago.

Brazil has the highest concentration of black people outside of the continent of Africa, yet it appears Pan-Afrcanism has rarely or if ever touched Brazil.. I just find that very interesting.

Can anyone say there is a identifable Afro-Brazilian movement?

I want to be schooled.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
As far as I know Brazil, Cuba and Uruguay are the only countries in Latin America where Black folks had their own press and political parties. I should look into Black activism in the rest of the region.
Colombia seems to be on the rise as well. or at least Black Colombians are highly visible and Caclombians acknowledge their presence.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Colombia seems to be on the rise as well. or at least Black Colombians are highly visible and Caclombians acknowledge their presence.

It's too many of them for them not to be visible. To the extent that Black people in Chile and even Mexico are often accused of being Colombian immigrants even if their families been on the country for centuries.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
There are literally 1000 threads on this topic.

There is an embracing of Blackness in Brazil but no real ideology built on autonomy.

Also they don't have the largest Black population outside of Africa. Yall throw fits when self-identifying Afro-Brazilians are posted and attack their Blackness.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There might have been in the past ... (Tim Maia/Gilberto Gil)

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Is there a pro-black movement in Brazil?

I'll say it again, how things work here in Brazil.

We black Brazilians have a close bond with our African roots, over centuries, silently fighting for equality, denouncing the oppression and segregation in which we are imposed every day. But these movements rarely get any media, because that's what the government here is so concerned about hiding. The same Government that considers 53% of the population BLACK!

There is an embracing of Blackness in Brazil but no real ideology built on autonomy.

:mjlol:

I bet foreigners rarely associate such images with Brazil:

Black march(1988) under the military eyes :mjpls:
MARCHA+88.jpg

3_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

6_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

8_FOTO_JANUARIO_GARCIA_MARCHA_88.jpg

movimento-negro-passeata.jpg

Recently
image_large

marcha-consciencia-negra-1-650x450.jpg

5756-marcha-da-consciencia-negra-protesta-contra-abolicao-da-escravidao-ainda-inconclusa-no-brasil.jpg

ferguson%C3%A9aqui.jpg

CNT_EXT_225897.jpg

protestos_dia-20_1.jpg

ato-3.jpg

1501437712273.jpg

marcha_paulista_negro_foto_ctb52128.png

17629680_599645830233342_4877670003364544796_n.jpg

From the outside, it seems that nothing is happening here and that we are not doing anything. Brazil is one of the most racist countries in the world, we are discriminated against and we fight against it every day, however, the policy of "let it go" by the government ends up covering up the segregation that exists here.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

I bet foreigners rarely associate such images with Brazil:

Black march(1988) under the military eyes :mjpls:
MARCHA+88.jpg

From the outside, it seems that nothing is happening here and that we are not doing anything. Brazil is one of the most racist countries in the world, we are discriminated against and we fight against it every day, however, the policy of "let it go" by the government ends up covering up the segregation that exists here.

What does a March have to do with autonomy?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
There are literally 1000 threads on this topic.

Also they don't have the largest Black population outside of Africa. Yall throw fits when self-identifying Afro-Brazilians are posted and attack their Blackness.
What do you mean by autonomy

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What do you mean by autonomy

au·ton·o·my
ôˈtänəmē/Submit
noun
(of a country or region) the right or condition of self-government, especially in a particular sphere.
"Tatarstan demanded greater autonomy within the Russian Federation"
a self-governing country or region.
plural noun: autonomies
freedom from external control or influence; independence.
"economic autonomy is still a long way off for many women"
synonyms: self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-determination, independence, sovereignty, freedom
"the rebels called for regional autonomy and self-government"

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
au·ton·o·my
ôˈtänəmē/Submit
noun
(of a country or region) the right or condition of self-government, especially in a particular sphere.
"Tatarstan demanded greater autonomy within the Russian Federation"
a self-governing country or region.
plural noun: autonomies
freedom from external control or influence; independence.
"economic autonomy is still a long way off for many women"
synonyms: self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-determination, independence, sovereignty, freedom
"the rebels called for regional autonomy and self-government"
What would you call the effort and to preserve the quilombos