is saints row 4 good?

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't know why 3 and 4 get so much hate. Those games are just plain fun. I loved them.

Because they are too far gone from what the series originally was about. Saints Row was about you, a guy on the streets who is saved by the leader of a gang called the Saints. He recruits you to help take back the city from the gangs that are overrunning it. You team up with lieutenants from the gang to take out the others. It ends in a cliff hanger that leaves so many questions unanswered and you want more. It's gritty, hilarious and grounded at the same time. It's a fun game but a bit bare bones. Online was absolutely amazing though.

2 however :wow:
Saints Row 2 :banderas:
That game :lawd:

I have never seen a sequel so flawlessly executed. Saints Row 2 is an improvement over 1 in every single way except 1. Most sequels mess up and improve over a few things or change up the formula completely. Saints Row 2 however follows the Saints Row 1 formula while making it better. More customization, the city is reworked and feels brand new, more weapons, more vehicles etc. If you liked 1 you'd like 2. You can't say that for 3 and 4.

2 picks up 4 years after the original, your gang has been disbanded, new gangs have taken over the city and all the lieutenants are gone. You remake the gang and try to figure out who blew you up at the end of the first. Your character who barely talked in 1 is now a fukking psychopath who kills anybody who crosses them. The shyt your character does in that game makes Tommy Vercetti look like a bytch. The game ends with you taking over the city, getting revenge on your former boss and swearing revenge on one of the former lieutenants who set you up. It sets the third game up for you to chase him down.

The map in Saints Row 2 is one of my favorites in any sandbox game ever. The amount of detail and variety in that map puts games 3x its size to shame. They crammed so much into that map from top to bottom. The amounts of secret locations and hidden items is mind boggling.

3 throws that out the window. it throws everything out the window for a soft reboot. The gang is now goofy and everyone is celebrities despite the fact that you merked special ops in 2. Your character is a goofy bytch who lets anyone join the gang, even people who betrayed them. The map is lifeless and ugly. Steelport is one of the worst maps in sandbox history. While Stilwater had detail and variety, Steelport all looks the same.There is no variation. There are no secrets. The pedestrians are boring as shyt and just walked around while in Saints Row 2 the peds were all unique and had tons of different behaviors. They took out the respect system being needed for missions but instead put the side missions into the main story. The customization took a huge hit in exchange for titty physics. They took out picking up items from the ground, took out drugs, took out food, took out competitive multiplayer, ruined character personalities, ignored the story of 2, the new gangs were ass and I can't even remember any of the lieutenants from them, I don't remember too much about the story, the missions were ass etc etc

4 goes even further off the deep end by changing the series from a gang simulator to a super hero, sci fi parody. Gangs aren't in 4. The Saints aren't even the Saints anymore. 4 isn't even the same series as 2. If you had somebody play an hour of SR2 then had them play SR4 they'd wonder what the fukk they were playing. I'm not saying 4 is bad. I'm saying it isn't Saints Row. It's a spin off called SR4. They rehashed the garbage city from 3 and cars don't have any use anymore since you run faster than them.

The problem isn't that SR4 is a bad game. The problem is that it is such a departure from what I got into the series for. I got into Saints Row for gang warfare. Not aliens and superpowers. I want to see the plot SR2 set up finished. Not this stupid ass new plot they came up with with aliens and pop culture and shyt. fukk all that. If the SR4 style was what the series was from the beginning I would have ignored it back when I got SR in 06. The sad thing is that even if they decided to finish up the SR2 story they'd probably do it SR4 style with farts in a jar, super powers and mech suits. It would be unsatisfying as someone who got into the series from the start to do that. How would you feel if your favorite series changed genres? What if Mario became a FPS? Or Halo became a racer? Or NBA 2K became a bowling game? OR MSG became a boxing game? Some people would like the changes but the core fanbases would be pissed. That is what happened with Saints Row. They changed the genre which drew in new fans but pissed off the old fans and now both halves of the fanbase hate each other. The Saints Row fanbase is toxic as fukk. Full of new fans who tell old fans to go play GTA for a serious game and old fans telling new fans to go play Crackdown and Prototype because they ruined their series.

There is absolutely no way Saints Row can survive going forward. They can't please everyone. I hate 3 and 4. I wouldn't buy a Saints Row game in that style. Newer fans hate the more grounded style and wouldn't buy that type of game. They can't please everyone and all it's going to do is eat away at sales. Even if they did go back to the old style how can older fans trust them? They changed the genre once so who says they couldn't just do it again? It's fukking sad. SR was my favorite series introduced last gen until 3 came out. This all would have been solved if they just named SR3 and SR4 something else so they would be seen as spinoffs instead of sequels to the original duo. That way old fans would still have hope of getting a proper sequel.

tl;dr fukk Volition, fukk SR3, fukk SR4. I wish nothing but bad things to Volition and Deep Silver. :pacspit:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:yeshrug:
Because they are too far gone from what the series originally was about. Saints Row was about you, a guy on the streets who is saved by the leader of a gang called the Saints. He recruits you to help take back the city from the gangs that are overrunning it. You team up with lieutenants from the gang to take out the others. It ends in a cliff hanger that leaves so many questions unanswered and you want more. It's gritty, hilarious and grounded at the same time. It's a fun game but a bit bare bones. Online was absolutely amazing though.

2 however :wow:
Saints Row 2 :banderas:
That game :lawd:

I have never seen a sequel so flawlessly executed. Saints Row 2 is an improvement over 1 in every single way except 1. Most sequels mess up and improve over a few things or change up the formula completely. Saints Row 2 however follows the Saints Row 1 formula while making it better. More customization, the city is reworked and feels brand new, more weapons, more vehicles etc. If you liked 1 you'd like 2. You can't say that for 3 and 4.

2 picks up 4 years after the original, your gang has been disbanded, new gangs have taken over the city and all the lieutenants are gone. You remake the gang and try to figure out who blew you up at the end of the first. Your character who barely talked in 1 is now a fukking psychopath who kills anybody who crosses them. The shyt your character does in that game makes Tommy Vercetti look like a bytch. The game ends with you taking over the city, getting revenge on your former boss and swearing revenge on one of the former lieutenants who set you up. It sets the third game up for you to chase him down.

The map in Saints Row 2 is one of my favorites in any sandbox game ever. The amount of detail and variety in that map puts games 3x its size to shame. They crammed so much into that map from top to bottom. The amounts of secret locations and hidden items is mind boggling.

3 throws that out the window. it throws everything out the window for a soft reboot. The gang is now goofy and everyone is celebrities despite the fact that you merked special ops in 2. Your character is a goofy bytch who lets anyone join the gang, even people who betrayed them. The map is lifeless and ugly. Steelport is one of the worst maps in sandbox history. While Stilwater had detail and variety, Steelport all looks the same.There is no variation. There are no secrets. The pedestrians are boring as shyt and just walked around while in Saints Row 2 the peds were all unique and had tons of different behaviors. They took out the respect system being needed for missions but instead put the side missions into the main story. The customization took a huge hit in exchange for titty physics. They took out picking up items from the ground, took out drugs, took out food, took out competitive multiplayer, ruined character personalities, ignored the story of 2, the new gangs were ass and I can't even remember any of the lieutenants from them, I don't remember too much about the story, the missions were ass etc etc

4 goes even further off the deep end by changing the series from a gang simulator to a super hero, sci fi parody. Gangs aren't in 4. The Saints aren't even the Saints anymore. 4 isn't even the same series as 2. If you had somebody play an hour of SR2 then had them play SR4 they'd wonder what the fukk they were playing. I'm not saying 4 is bad. I'm saying it isn't Saints Row. It's a spin off called SR4. They rehashed the garbage city from 3 and cars don't have any use anymore since you run faster than them.

The problem isn't that SR4 is a bad game. The problem is that it is such a departure from what I got into the series for. I got into Saints Row for gang warfare. Not aliens and superpowers. I want to see the plot SR2 set up finished. Not this stupid ass new plot they came up with with aliens and pop culture and shyt. fukk all that. If the SR4 style was what the series was from the beginning I would have ignored it back when I got SR in 06. The sad thing is that even if they decided to finish up the SR2 story they'd probably do it SR4 style with farts in a jar, super powers and mech suits. It would be unsatisfying as someone who got into the series from the start to do that. How would you feel if your favorite series changed genres? What if Mario became a FPS? Or Halo became a racer? Or NBA 2K became a bowling game? OR MSG became a boxing game? Some people would like the changes but the core fanbases would be pissed. That is what happened with Saints Row. They changed the genre which drew in new fans but pissed off the old fans and now both halves of the fanbase hate each other. The Saints Row fanbase is toxic as fukk. Full of new fans who tell old fans to go play GTA for a serious game and old fans telling new fans to go play Crackdown and Prototype because they ruined their series.

There is absolutely no way Saints Row can survive going forward. They can't please everyone. I hate 3 and 4. I wouldn't buy a Saints Row game in that style. Newer fans hate the more grounded style and wouldn't buy that type of game. They can't please everyone and all it's going to do is eat away at sales. Even if they did go back to the old style how can older fans trust them? They changed the genre once so who says they couldn't just do it again? It's fukking sad. SR was my favorite series introduced last gen until 3 came out. This all would have been solved if they just named SR3 and SR4 something else so they would be seen as spinoffs instead of sequels to the original duo. That way old fans would still have hope of getting a proper sequel.

tl;dr fukk Volition, fukk SR3, fukk SR4. I wish nothing but bad things to Volition and Deep Silver. :pacspit:
I get where you're coming from, but I just found 3 and 4 to be fun as shyt. Maybe they shoulda called it something else, because of the reboot. I get that. But 3 and 4 are just so fukking fun to play. Flying around the city with crazy weapons and superpowers in 4 is some of the most fun I've had in an open world game. shyt was just fun and goofy. I thoroughly enjoyed 3 and 4. It's not for everybody I guess, but I loved the new direction. You can't tell me flying around the city and then ground stomping everybody or using telekinesis wasn't fun. shyt was just enjoyable. I didn't compare it to 1 and 2. I looked at it as a new game. Maybe that's why I didn't mind the changes. :yeshrug:

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
:yeshrug:
I get where you're coming from, but I just found 3 and 4 to be fun as shyt. Maybe they shoulda called it something else, because of the reboot. I get that. But 3 and 4 are just so fukking fun to play. Flying around the city with crazy weapons and superpowers in 4 is some of the most fun I've had in an open world game. shyt was just fun and goofy. I thoroughly enjoyed 3 and 4. It's not for everybody I guess, but I loved the new direction. You can't tell me flying around the city and then ground stomping everybody or using telekinesis wasn't fun. shyt was just enjoyable. I didn't compare it to 1 and 2. I looked at it as a new game. Maybe that's why I didn't mind the changes. :yeshrug:

4 is fun as hell, breh. But it doesn't last. I still fire up San Andreas and Saints Row 2. I beat SR3 and never wanted to look at it again. 3 was hot garbage. I never bought 4 but played my brother's copy and it was fun but the fun didn't last. I got bored. I was too overpowered and I couldn't get into the game. The city was garbage, the enemies were boring and unimaginative, the plot was garbage etc.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
4 is fun as hell, breh. But it doesn't last. I still fire up San Andreas and Saints Row 2. I beat SR3 and never wanted to look at it again. 3 was hot garbage. I never bought 4 but played my brother's copy and it was fun but the fun didn't last. I got bored. I was too overpowered and I couldn't get into the game. The city was garbage, the enemies were boring and unimaginative, the plot was garbage etc.
I dunno. I enjoyed 4 a lot and even got all those orb glitch things. I couldn't get enough of the game.

To each his own though...

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
2 is as good as a game can get without actually being considered a legit classic. 1 laid the foundation.

3 just took the serious edge out and replaced it with uninspiring fukkery and gameplay just entertaining enough to make you forgive them long enough to beat the game or come close to it.

4 just takes fukkery to new levels by introducing superpowers. Won't lie tho, the superpowers are hella fun to use.

But nothing in that franchise top the Insurance Fraud side missions.

noumena

All Star
Daps
I had Pac as my custom character on Saints Row 2 :banderas:

Now I wanna go back and beat that game, never got to, my mom gave my xbox to goodwill like 6 years ago :damn:

Still got the hard drive tho :myman:

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
I really liked the game. Just plan old fun carnage for carnage's sake. It's definitely worth a purchase.

Don't compare it to GTA or anything like that. It's not like that. It's just plain old fun shooting shyt and flying around the city. Great game :wow:
This. After 2, GTA shouldn't even be on your mind when you're playing this.