Is OLED The Biggest Lie Ever Told

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm starting to think this tech isn't ready for prime time. I went ahead and put the 5 year warranty on my TV because of all these problems I'm reading about. Many people not even a year out on the AVS Forum have a CNN logo burned into their sets.
This guy had hit TV in a room with sun light coming through a window and the light from the sun burned his window into the TV screen

None of the TV manufactures cover burn-in. Best Buy Geek Squad Protection is one of the only warranties that covers it.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
I'm starting to think this tech isn't ready for prime time. I went ahead and put the 5 year warranty on my TV because of all these problems I'm reading about. Many people not even a year out on the AVS Forum have a CNN logo burned into their sets.
This guy had hit TV in a room with sun light coming through a window and the light from the sun burned his window into the TV screen

None of the TV manufactures cover burn-in. Best Buy Geek Squad Protection is one of the only warranties that covers it.

The sunlight shyt is weird. Id be interested in knowing how much cnn those guys were watching for that to happen. Ive watched NFL Redzone which has a logo and ticker for 7 hours straight and havent even got retention . :manny:

Its fair to say a breh might even need to change viewing habits a little bit. I could see how that would turn some people away.
Oled ain't for everybody. Someone that watches some cnn type shyt every day for hours a day should probably not buy an oled. I watch alot of different type shyt and play alot of different games so im not realy worried at all personally.

As far as extended warranty its always good to have the piece of mind. Personally ive never bought one and never will. This is one thing it could be worth it for though.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The sunlight shyt is weird. Id be interested in knowing how much cnn those guys were watching for that to happen. Ive watched NFL Redzone which has a logo and ticker for 7 hours straight and havent even got retention . :manny:

Its fair to say a breh might even need to change viewing habits a little bit. I could see how that would turn some people away.
Oled ain't for everybody. Someone that watches some cnn type shyt every day for hours a day should probably not buy an oled. I watch alot of different type shyt and play alot of different games so im not realy worried at all personally.

As far as extended warranty its always good to have the piece of mind. Personally ive never bought one and never will. This is one thing it could be worth it for though.
I only buy extended warranties on stuff I know will fail. The problem with OLED is nobody that manufactures these sets will cover burn-in on their warranty. That tells you all you need to know about the likelihood of it happening. It’s like with my iPhone. Apple basically says expect burn-in. It’s just a flaw of the tech.

Most extended warranties are a waste of money because the product likely won’t fail after the first year until far past the warranty period ends. Also many credit cards double the manufacturers warranty up to 2 years.

Problem here is burn-in wouldn’t be covered. If it’s as likely as I’ve been reading it is why not? In 4 years it’ll be an upgrade to a better set for no extra charge. If not it at least will help the resell value as it’s transferable.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
I only buy extended warranties on stuff I know will fail. The problem with OLED is nobody that manufactures these sets will cover burn-in on their warranty. That tells you all you need to know about the likelihood of it happening. It’s like with my iPhone. Apple basically says expect burn-in. It’s just a flaw of the tech.

Most extended warranties are a waste of money because the product likely won’t fail after the first year until far past the warranty period ends. Also many credit cards double the manufacturers warranty up to 2 years.

Problem here is burn-in wouldn’t be covered. If it’s as likely as I’ve been reading it is why not? In 4 years it’ll be an upgrade to a better set for no extra charge. If not it at least will help the resell value as it’s transferable.
Fair enough . The manufacturers not covering it is telling. It's no doubt it will happen to some sets. Which makes it understandable to go with the extended. But I think with a little extra care they will be fine. Only time will tell :manny:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I would hope if you are putting money into a large tv especially for the living room, you are spending money on an equally good sound system.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I would hope if you are putting money into a large tv especially for the living room, you are spending money on an equally good sound system.
I went on a home audio kick a few years back. I got the Sony HTST7 in my bedroom for $700 on clearance open box at Best Buy back in 2013. The HTST9 in my living room was a grand on eBay in 2015 and the Sonos Playbar I have was about $500 last year open box which I plan to replace the Sony in the bedroom with. I hate those Sony soundbars because they cause interference with my router on the 5GHz band. One of these days I'll get rid of the HTST9 and replace it with a Bose SoundTouch 300.

Also in my living room I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver with 2 Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II fronts and a CS2 center channel as well as 2 Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelves and a Pioneer 10'' sub. All that stuff together cost about a grand. I'm usually using the soundbars to keep the noise down for my neighbors. When I move I'm gonna dump that receiver for one that's more up to date and get better bookshelves and a sub. Probably all from Polk to match the series.

My problem is with all this equipment there's no good place to sell any of it. Once you buy this home theater stuff it's effectively worthless when it comes to resell value. I just had to take an old TV to the pawnshop because I couldn't move it elsewhere and I sold it for $80 but back in 2012 it cost me $1500. Granted I know it's an old 46 inch 1080p set but I sold it for 5% of what I paid for it.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I went on a home audio kick a few years back. I got the Sony HTST7 in my bedroom for $700 on clearance open box at Best Buy back in 2013. The HTST9 in my living room was a grand on eBay in 2015 and the Sonos Playbar I have was about $500 last year open box which I plan to replace the Sony in the bedroom with. I hate those Sony soundbars because they cause interference with my router on the 5GHz band. One of these days I'll get rid of the HTST9 and replace it with a Bose SoundTouch 300.

Also in my living room I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver with 2 Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II fronts and a CS2 center channel as well as 2 Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelves and a Pioneer 10'' sub. All that stuff together cost about a grand. I'm usually using the soundbars to keep the noise down for my neighbors. When I move I'm gonna dump that receiver for one that's more up to date and get better bookshelves and a sub. Probably all from Polk to match the series.

My problem is with all this equipment there's no good place to sell any of it. Once you buy this home theater stuff it's effectively worthless when it comes to resell value. I just had to take an old TV to the pawnshop because I couldn't move it elsewhere and I sold it for $80 but back in 2012 it cost me $1500. Granted I know it's an old 46 inch 1080p set but I sold it for 5% of what I paid for it.

Most if not all of the time you will take a hit on AV equipment, unless its something that is rare, limited production run. All my old equipment I have sold to friends for a fraction of the cost.

I'm in for a few grand paid for my home theater, insured for $15K. I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR3030 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos Network AVR , a pair of Energy Veritas 6.3 towers, Energy C-C1 center, (4) Energy Take 5 satellites on the ceiling, Energy C-R100 bi-poles on the sides and rears, and a Velodyne VA-1215xII sub. This is all setup as 7.1.4, video is a Samsung 4K UHD BD player, and a Samsung KS8000 65" 4K set.

I have 2 other rooms that have smaller setup, pc room has Energy C7 Towers, Velodyne VA-1012xII sub, Sony AVR.

Bedroom has Energy C2 bookshelfs, Onkyo AVR, and another Velodyne VA-1012xII sub. Samsung KS8000 49" 4K tv with Samsung UHD BD player

Energy was one of the best sounding speakers when they came out, Klipsh bought them out and killed off all the hi-end and reference line, the Veritas I have was part of the reference line. Couldn't pass up a deal.

I think the only thing I may move to is upgrading the 65" to a 75" or 78".

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The new OLEDs for 2018 were announced. No HDMI 2.1 on any of them. :no: