Is Mega Man a dead franchise at this point?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I honestly can’t see capcom doing another big mega man game. Like sonic they had a problem translating him into 3d platforming. Also like sonic it seems the only time they get traction on it is when they do a retro style mainline game in 2D.

It’s really a shame capcom didn’t expand on Mega Man Legends. It was way beyond its time as a 3rd person shooter. They had zones, ways to upgrade and equips, a bunch of unique weapons, the tronn bone family were good foils etc.

d89b54d0314c46f42d471a4b2ee07655.gif

Now it seems like everyone has kind of moved on and its hard to believe such a popular character is pretty much retired. Mega man should be getting games like R&C, Mario Odyssey etc.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:childplease:
Mega Man 11
Mega Man X Dive
Teppen
X Anniversary Collection
Zero Anniversary Collection
Mega Man Anniversary Collection

Dead franchise no. open world 3D games dead, yes.

3 anniversary collections, cross over game, mobile game, and a 2d continuation like sonic and from 3 years ago already. I think you can find these type of releases for every other once popular dead franchise. It’s primarily banking on nostalgia.

When i ask if is mega man dead, i mean is capcom gonna ever make it a decent sized budget, headliner game with a big marketing push, like crash, mario, or ratchet?

I almost feel like the fact that theres no real mobile game market anymore outside the switch means they won’t do the zero zx or battle network stuff either anymore

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
3 anniversary collections, cross over game, mobile game, and a 2d continuation like sonic and from 3 years ago already. I think you can find these type of releases for every other once popular dead franchise. It’s primarily banking on nostalgia.

When i ask is mega man dead, i mean is capcom gonna ever make it a decent sized budget, headliner game with a big marketing push, like crash, mario, or ratchet got?

Megaman is a platformer and 11 did well for them in a niche genre and you want them revive legends (Big Budget) for all 100 of the nostalgia fan boys out there? Yea they tried that it’s called Mega Man X7.

Everything Capcom is doing is to validate the market for more than just classic mega man ip revival. They even said those anniversary collections sold well so they are looking at a X sequel.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I won't say its dead...I'm always seeing new Megaman shyt releasing...But its probably catering to a niche audience.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Megaman is a platformer and 11 did well for them in a niche genre and you want them revive legends (Big Budget) for all 100 of the nostalgia fan boys out there? Yea they tried that it’s called Mega Man X7.

Everything Capcom is doing is to validate the market for more than just classic mega man ip revival. They even said those anniversary collections sold well so they are looking at a X sequel.

I just feel like mega man should be doing bigger things, its almost as iconic as mario.

I would like to see an actual 3d platformer mega man game. Not like legends but like classic mega man in a 3d world, same platforms and enemies but transformed.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It's not dead at all, it's just not mainstream at all anymore, mostly because Capcom never put real resources behind it to make a AAA megaman game.

The last time they put real resources behind him was the battle network series and that was a hit. I think it'll happen eventually.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
It definitely should be bigger than it is. Of all the old 2D platformers Mega Man should have been the easiest to transition to 3D. Hell Returnal is what I would of expected a 3D Mega Man game to play like when it first hit the scene. I don't know I feel Capcom can still make money off the franchise for fans of 2D and 3D platforming.