Is Kendrick Lamar the new Arrested Development?

Goatpoacher

Superstar
Daps
Kendrick and AD are similar for me in that despite all the critical acclaim, I don't like any of their songs.

And Kendrick has no goddamn voice.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Kendrick tends to seem a bit forced when it comes to the whole "look at me, I was raised around crips and bloods but I am not"

How could there be anything forced about that :dahell:

That's the opposite of forced, if it was forced then he'd be lying actin like he was about that life and tellin us about his ducktlaes on every single track like 75% of the rap game. :aicmon:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
How could there be anything forced about that :dahell:

That's the opposite of forced, if it was forced then he'd be lying actin like he was about that life and tellin us about his ducktlaes on every single track like 75% of the rap game. :aicmon:

Not it wouldn't. That hasn't been hot since Kanye came out. Are you in a parallel universe or some shyt?

75% of the rap game is doing what Kendrick's been doing.
"I'm not hard. But so you don't think I'm a total suburban p*ssy, I know some hittas. Yak yak yak! But I made a conscious decision to be far away from that life because it's icky."

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Most of the rap game is still nikkas who act hard. Don't let the recent influx of nikkas like Cole and Kendrick fool you

Even Drake tryna get brolic

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Most of the rap game is still nikkas who act hard. Don't let the recent influx of nikkas like Cole and Kendrick fool you

Even Drake tryna get brolic

I'm convinced you're in an alternate universe. Hardcore hip hop died in the mid2000s. Even the dudes who are hard are taken more as a joke/caricature than anything else. The modern audience just aint street on any level.

You're telling me that hip hop, which has been dominated by Kanye and his sons in the last 10 years, is full of nikkas trying to be hard?

Cmon son.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
From my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) Arrested Development were adored by cac critics, particularly for their positivity (read: nonthreatening) as opposed to actual artistry, sold a ton, made crossover pop rap, had almost zero listenership in the streets, and proceeded to become irrelevant by the mid 90s. Now no one really cares about their catalogue despite all the cac acclaim.

Fair analysis?

For the record, I loved Mr Wendal as a kid. "Mr Wendal... yeee-ahhh". But listening to it now... the song's sophomoric as fukk
NO. They were not force fed to the public. Their singles were really on hit.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Arrested Development was critically acclaimed? by who? The Source? Rap Pages? Rap Sheet? any notable Hip Hop magazine back then? or bullshyt like Rolling Stone?

dirty_yo

hired help
Daps
Reppin
the trashcan
This isn't actually a bad comparison. Kendrick reminds me of coolio circa "I'll C U When I Get There". That safe appealing to mom and dad type rap. Even gangstas paradise was huge with middle aged white people, although credit goes to LV

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
You have to understand that Arrested Development got a lot of hate from the 'hardcore street rappers and you need to ask yourselves why.

And back then it was cool to diss them because the term then was 'preachy', but in hindsight I see the same pattens then as I do now with c00ns and anti Black power Blacks talking shyt to derail those that are positive. They were getting attacks and shyt from rappers who had no business even talking about them, and I understand now why.

A lot of Black people are afraid to make Black Power music while living under the white power structure, or social consciousness music..it's harder for them to sing a Black power track than it is an anti Black track.

I honestly believe these artists are paid off to talk shyt about Black acts trying to kick knowledge..what else could it be?