Is Jay-Z the smartest hip-hop artist?

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
whether its Jay, Puff, or 50......i think we can all agree that New York nikkas are on another level when it comes to havin game. Like Rza said.....yall crabs down south aint got a clue.

YBE

Banned
Daps
There is no way Jay isn't one of the smartest. Saying Puff is up there isn't far from the truth either, but saying its because he has more money now doesn't make sense when Puff had a head start..

do yall nikkas not realize Puff was doing this shyt since COLLEGE?

232608_o.gif

What was Jay doing industry wise when he was 21, 22?

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
Steve Jobs had a team(Steve Wozniack specifically) who really executed his vision, and pitched him great ideas. Also, he wasn't the greatest public speaker. Also, Mark Zuckerberg's interviews make Jay look like Will Smith. Jay is a brilliant artist and businessman. End of story. And, before anyone calls me a stan, Nas is my favorite MC of all time, and I think Jay lost the battle with him.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Did you really just compare Lloyd Blankfein to fukking Jay-Z? :leostare:
1. No
2. Although financially I could :huhldup:

I'm saying that the top bosses are not there to know the technicalities of selling/solving/operating etc the product/service the company is selling.

Steve Jobs didn't know how an iPhone was built, just like Lloyd Blankfein doesn't know how to run a delta one desk. Just like Jay-z might not understand how to get someones single to get play in Bulgaria. Just like GMs CEO probably doesn't know how to develop the aerodynamics of a car. That doesn't mean that their "smartness" is overrated. Cause only dumb people think that is what "labels" them smart in first place.

YBE

Banned
Daps
1. No
2. Although financially I could :huhldup:

I'm saying that the top bosses are not there to know the technicalities of selling/solving/operating etc the product/service the company is selling.

Steve Jobs didn't know how an iPhone was built, just like Lloyd Blankfein doesn't know how to run a delta one desk. Just like Jay-z might not understand how to get someones single to get play in Bulgaria.

that's why i stopped you...

:wtf: do you think Lloyd Blankfein got his start at? dude is a Harvard College/Harvard Law grad. I think he knows how to set up some bullshyt financial models. I get your point but, that example was :scusthov:

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
To me Jay is streetsmart, you have to applaud his hustle game, as far as Jay the person, he's a bit socially awkward like Nas ( hate to compare them again)

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
that's why i stopped you

:wtf: do you think Lloyd Blankfein got his start at? dude is a Harvard College/Harvard Law grad. I think he knows how to set up some bullshyt financial models. I get your point but, that example was :scusthov:
Do you think it's harder to graduate from Harvard and get rich or graduate from Marcy projects in the 80s? (Even though the big homie is from the hood as well :yes:)..

And why would Lloyd Blankfein know how to set up financial models? They would laugh at a law degree in 2012, unlike the 70s, 80s when the industry was quite simple. People setting up those models have PHDs in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics and shyt. Now Law :rudy:.. Everyone can understand the principal, but understanding the technicalities is what they can't understand. Just like Steve Jobs probably could understand why the camera starts when your finger touches a certain spot on the screen on the iPhone. But I don't think that he understood the mechanics behind it and I don't think he cared either.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I agree 100% with the opportunist thing... Not taking anything away from Jay, he is very good at moving in the right circles and always being in a position to take advantage of an opportunity... but that has nothing to do with intelligence...

Like I said give him a balance sheet or an RMD and see whats up...

And I agree, to many nikkas treat jay like he is some super smart messiah business figure...I saw a thread on sohh about jay meeting warren buffett...lmao at thinking jay ever talked to buffet before buffet figured he could make some money off jay...or after he is finished making money off jay...

Also...jay comes off as an insecure little boy outside of music...like this shyt right here.
Jay-Z in Late Show with David Letterman 2010-06-25 - YouTube

nikka sit up straight:shaq2:
nikka quit mumbling:what:
nikka you in your 40's what the fukk you wearing:snoop
Bad example, dude is doing the comedy thing, dry humor.
The one time I've heard Jay not articulate himself very well was that interview with Warren Buffet and Bloomberg.
It's a big difference between Hov on hot 97 and Jay on something unhiphop..

YBE

Banned
Daps
Do you think it's harder to graduate from Harvard and get rich or graduate from Marcy projects in the 80s? (Even though the big homie is from the hood as well :yes:)..

And why would Lloyd Blankfein know how to set up financial models? They would laugh at a law degree in 2012, unlike the 70s, 80s when the industry was quite simple. People setting up those models have PHDs in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics and shyt. Now Law :rudy:.. Everyone can understand the principal, but understanding the technicalities is what they can't understand. Just like Steve Jobs probably could understand why the camera starts when your finger touches a certain spot on the screen on the iPhone. But I don't think that he understood the mechanics behind it and I don't think he cared either.

being a rapper or getting accepted into the best university on the globe? :duck:

:rudy: stop. you're being foolish breh. I can put together DCF model. I'm sure the fukking chief executive who has been at his firm since the 80s, in various departments, starting at the analyst level, understands the various operations of the business :snoop: Jay-Z hires Wharton & Harvard kids. Blankfein is a Harvard alum. See the difference?

I want to get back to the convo of the thread though.....so.....yea.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ohhhh boy...

1. Commenting about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs... I'm just stating facts... Jay accomplished a lot, I won't try and belittle what he's done... but when people act like he reinvented the wheel... like really... people before him have done it (Diddy) and people after (50)..

That's the thing though Bill Gates and Steve Jobs don't have sh1t to do with "Smartest Hip Hop artist". It's just ANOTHER way to belittle the pretty impressive accomplishments the dude has under his belt.
C'mon now, let's not act like that wasn't your intention because it clearly was.

Also NO ONE in this thread was implying he reinvented the wheel, just that he's rolling it better than most of his peers.
With that said he clearly isn't the only huge success story in Hip Hop but is definitely one of the ones that's impressive alongside Fifty, Russel, Dr. Dre, Em etc.

2. Show me the post where I co-sign him being called an idiot

Dapped a post in this thread that basically says that.
A dap is essentially a "like" or "co-sign" here.

3. You spelled surprisingly wrong

People spell words wrong the all the time B.

4. I'm a Jay-Z... but I know where being a fan and a groupie should end

:youngsabo:
Nobody is being a groupie bruh, I just see through what you're saying.

5. Who's saying most rappers don't say dumb shyt... and why use Mos Def and Lupe as examples....

They're rappers traditionally associated with "smartness" and while they often times do make interesting music and say smart things, they also have instances (just like anyone else) where they say stuff that's pretty ignorant.
Doesn't have much to do with my point I'm arguing though :yeshrug:

Sampson

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Of course he's smart because I'm associating smarts with intelligence and not necessarily being articulate. The interviews posted show a lack of articulation not a lack of intelligence. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

Not knowing the difference shows a lack of smarts.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
being a rapper or getting accepted into the best university on the globe? :duck:

:rudy: stop. you're being foolish breh. I can put together DCF model. I'm sure the fukking chief executive who has been at his firm since the 80s, in various departments, starting at the analyst level, understands the various operations of the business :snoop: Jay-Z hires Wharton & Harvard kids. Blankfein is a Harvard alum. See the difference?

I want to get back to the convo of the thread though.....so.....yea.

lol @ DCF, I'm talking about actual advanced models not 1st semester corporate finance stuff. Anyways, no he can't understand these models. And he didn't start as analyst for that matter. And you can't switch between every department and position, specially to a quant desk (besides that these desks didn't even exist when Blankfein was a trader). I would also say that it takes a bit more to get a 100 million bucks if you graduate from moving rocks in Marcy Projects than graduating from Harvard University. But that doesn't really tell me anything about smartness. Blankfein seems like a smarter guy though, from observing both quite well.
And like I said he can understand different departments, but not the technicalities, he's got people that explain them for him in the simplest way.

But Bill Gates is probably smartest in the year he didn't graduate with.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
This. Anyone who thinks Jay Z is really making majore business decisions...come on man...

Jay Z was a great rapper...who said the right things at the right time...met the right people...got the right spots...and ended up in the right place.

Let me ask you a question...if you were doing a major business venue with jay z...how many times do you think he would be in the board room...when it goes past the charts and graphs...and you start getting to the math...do you think he is gonna be like...:whoo: or be like:dwillhuh:

:pachaha: Come on bruh...

This post makes it look like for 16 years, Jay-Z has just happened to be in the room and have enough good luck on his side to consistently succeed... like some waiter who was lucky enough to serve big businessmen their food at just the right time to hear the important stuff and take notes. You make a smart move a couple times, you're lucky. You make smart moves all the time, you're smart as fukk. Let's not confuse the two.