Is Jay-Z the smartest hip-hop artist?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I never said he wasn't smart... You can't look at his life and say he wasn't smart.... but when people are walking around acting like he's Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc... that's where it ends...

Jay is an opportunist... He takes advantage of every situation...He is a very SMART mover.

He's the type to listen to advice given to him, something that a lot of PEOPLE do not do...

I agree 100% with the opportunist thing... Not taking anything away from Jay, he is very good at moving in the right circles and always being in a position to take advantage of an opportunity... but that has nothing to do with intelligence...

Like I said give him a balance sheet or an RMD and see whats up...

And I agree, to many nikkas treat jay like he is some super smart messiah business figure...I saw a thread on sohh about jay meeting warren buffett...lmao at thinking jay ever talked to buffet before buffet figured he could make some money off jay...or after he is finished making money off jay...

Also...jay comes off as an insecure little boy outside of music...like this shyt right here.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAGmSOwMEg"]Jay-Z in Late Show with David Letterman 2010-06-25 - YouTube[/ame]

nikka sit up straight:shaq2:
nikka quit mumbling:what:
nikka you in your 40's what the fukk you wearing:snoop

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
He's definitely a hustla about his. I respect the grind.

The guy said in the mid-90s:

Triple platnum nikka with the solid gold fade
All that nickle and dime shyt don't hold no weight
Fortune 5 top 5 in the Forbes (you'll see)
as you Thumb through the Source I read the Robb report

and the references he makes sometimes clearly show you he is operating on several above your avg. rapper who are happy to just party and BS.

Everybody screaming they want the old Hov
But the new improved Hov hit like Albert Pujols
Everybody wanna hear me talk that money like Phil Rizzuto
But my mind is on Pluto
Bills that I do fold, I now invest on
Trying to find some loopholes in the IRS
As where I used to have a few hoes I am just
Concentrating on making a new Hov through sex
I've awakened just in time to school those putos
Trying to follow in my shoes with jewels froze
Better adhere to this text 'fore you go
Broke, spending more than you've accrued on silly baguettes
I know silly begets silly you'll learn on your own
At least my conscience is clear, I'm no longer steering you wrong
Ain't nothing wrong with baguettes after you get a home
Take care of your home, you can go back and

I'm getting courted by the bosses
The Edgars And Doug Morris-es-es
Jimmy I's and Lyors-es -- it's
Gotta be more than the choruses
They respecting my mind now
Just a matter of time now
Operation: Takeover Corporate
Makeover offices-es-es then takeover all of it
Please may these words be recorded
To serve as testimony that I saw it all before it
Came to fruition, sort of a premonition
Uncontrollable hustler's ambition

:ohmy::ohmy: :ohmy:

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
50 is clearly up there. You can tell he really hustled in the streets. Forget Jeezy this guy is corporate thuggin'.

Also Master P pioneered a lot of shyt if I recall correctly. Having your own label + clothes line + movies + anything which you can stick No Limit label on.

Tears on our backs but they still can't handle
Independent black owned and I'm 'bout it 'bout it

You can tell who the bosses are. The proof is in the pudding.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
define "smart" and i'll give ya an answer. being "savvy" and being "smart" aren't the same. but, hiring extremely business savvy people to handle all our your business while your non-savvy ass gets the credit is kind of smart, ha.

verbaltelekinesis

LWO Joint Chief
Daps
Reppin
Dallas
Jay is INTELLIGENT and I do mean book smart.

Growing up, however, Shawn Carter was far from the likeliest candidate for this sort of mind-boggling success. He was always recognized as bright--even today, the first word anyone who meets Jay-Z invariably uses to describe him is smart--and in the sixth grade, he tested at 12th-grade levels

Men's Health - Celebrity Fitness - Success Secrets: Jay-Z

Red Maverick II

Special A Class Hunter
Daps
He's smart, in the opportunist sense.

But then again, so is every capitalist :yeshrug:

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I agree 100% with the opportunist thing... Not taking anything away from Jay, he is very good at moving in the right circles and always being in a position to take advantage of an opportunity... but that has nothing to do with intelligence...

Like I said give him a balance sheet or an RMD and see whats up...

And I agree, to many nikkas treat jay like he is some super smart messiah business figure...I saw a thread on sohh about jay meeting warren buffett...lmao at thinking jay ever talked to buffet before buffet figured he could make some money off jay...or after he is finished making money off jay...

Also...jay comes off as an insecure little boy outside of music...like this shyt right here.
Jay-Z in Late Show with David Letterman 2010-06-25 - YouTube

nikka sit up straight:shaq2:
nikka quit mumbling:what:
nikka you in your 40's what the fukk you wearing:snoop

Yea that interview was awkward... On Letterman you have to be funny and cracking jokes, perhaps Jay is not type of nikka when socializing, hence this interview was :huhldup:

With that being said, it was dope when Letterman's band played "Empire State of Mind" with the Jazz interment. :win:

Daps
Yes. Yes he is. He is the smartest hip hop artist right now. People always try to shyt on him for the way he treated certain people but thats all apart of the game. You have to get em before they get you.

YBE

Banned
Daps
Lol I know it would be that argument "He has a great team".
You stupid fools, do you think anyone fukks around and does shyt solo on that level?
There is a reason to why you become the boss, to not have to deal with the specifics, he'll get dudes who went to school just to handle these specifics instead. That's the smartest thing according to any theory.

Jay is one of the smartest, can't say that he's the smartest though. That's a very subjective question. I mean Puff has more money, and has been relevant for a longer time does that make him smarter? Puff seemed like a smart cat when he was speaking, but one could mistake him for a dumb dude listening to his gangster rap songs or looking at his friend circle or death.

Is Birdman smarter than Common Sense?

Ol I wonder if Goldman Sachs would make as much money if the CEO was handling every aspect of the company himself :ld:

Did you really just compare Lloyd Blankfein to fukking Jay-Z? :leostare:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Sometimes people mistake good business deals with the person being smart, not always the case. Sometimes they just put money into a venture that blows up and get lucky.

I do think Jay-z is one of the smarter people in Hip Hop. Not because of business moves but because he is very calculated with his image, what he says in his music, and of course his business ventures all together.