Is it time to accept that cell phone notches are the future?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We now have all with notches on them:
The Essential Phone
Xiaomi Mi 7
Huawei P20
The G7
The One Plus 6
The iPhone X

The Samsung patents with the notch on them are also out there
Et tu, Samsung? A patent application shows the dreaded notch

Google is reaching the point where they are now baking the notch options into the OS with Android P. I think the LG G7 is the first major Android flagship to have it and if Samsung is considering it Notches are likely our next step until they can put the cameras under the usable screen.

I know people that don't have phones with notches tend to hate them but it took me about a day to get over the iPhone Xs notch and now I don't even really notice it. Before I owned the iPhone X I hated it's notch and now I couldn't care less about it. I would buy another phone with a notch on it with no issue.

A notch isn't my preference but it also isn't a dealbreaker.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Please, no.

:sadcam:

shyts disgusting.

And kindly miss me with the "it's not so bad, you'll get used to it" argument.

I simply find it aesthetically revolting and I don't want it. Like having a big ass notch in your TV. Disgusting. And no amount of "you'll get used to it" will change my opinion. Screens, like my eyesight, should be unobstructed.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Please, no.

:sadcam:

shyts disgusting.

And kindly miss me with the "it's not so bad, you'll get used to it" argument.

I simply find it aesthetically revolting and I don't want it. Like having a big ass notch in your TV. Disgusting. And no amount of "you'll get used to it" will change my opinion. Screens, like my eyesight, should be unobstructed.
Notches aren't green eggs and ham. You never will likely love them but to me they're like the curved edges on my Note8. I to this day don't want those curved edges but Samsung left me with little choice so I got the phone with them and now they don't bother me. If the Note9 had a version without curved edges I'd get it but if the only choice is curved edges meh whatever.

We're almost at a point where more flagship phones have notches than don't have them. Within a year we'll likely be at that point. At least on Android you typically get the option to turn it off.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I feel like We are at a point where outside of performance phones are getting worse not better.

Removing the headphone jack and calling it innovation is where they lost me.
I'm still on an iPhone 6S+ that has the headphone jack and I never use it.
Wireless headphones are way too convenient and will be pretty much standard soon enough. I don't fault these companies in pushing things forward even if their motivation was based on cost savings.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Just looked this up.

Why in the fukk would they do that?
Because as bezels shrink there's nowhere to put the cameras and speakers on the front of the phone. A notch lets you converge the status bar to a place that is normally bezel and either way wouldn't be usable. You just frame the camera with the status bar.