Is it the school to prison pipeline, or home to school then prison pipeline?

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
If there’s parents in the prison, whotf you think is in the home? :comeon:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
how is this handled in the UK? don't they have a few "low" forms/dialects of english across various areas? i'd assume those speakers are left alone? or do schools work on getting them to speak "the queens english"?

they got no choice, it's their future.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is the average kid who fails come from a family and resources?

No.. And a lot of average kids who succeed do come from homes with little resources. We've let this country define was success is and we took it seriously..

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
This is why so many Democrats were pushing for free/augmented pre-K resources.
Not sure what the criteria is but in my city there are free options that allegedly are funded by a "soda tax"
For a multitude of reasons you can't depend on young poor black parents to properly educated their kids during the most crucial developmental period
Might be surprised at the amount of parents who don't even read bed time stories to their kids, much less teach them ABCs or how to read

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Sounds great and all but some people are just born stupid and some people are just born intelligent and that's how they will be no matter what.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
It starts at home, people have kids and don't grasp the basic

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Many Black kids enter school speaking a completely different dialect of English which also has a different set of rules that can sometimes conflict with Standard English. This needs to be addressed.

I'm not suggesting that we stop speaking AAVE in Black homes, instead, I am suggesting that schools and teachers have a clear understanding that our kids aren't speaking "poorly" or unintelligibly. They should be handled similarly to ESL students.

This is such a weak argument.
If a person going to teach at a school that is black they are clearly in tune with the culture.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
This is such a weak argument.
If a person going to teach at a school that is black they are clearly in tune with the culture.

You're wildly out of touch if you think this is even remotely true. First of all male teachers are few and far between and secondly the profession is overwhelmingly white.

And this also completely ignores that many Black people hold the same problematic views of AAVE that white people do.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You're wildly out of touch if you think this is even remotely true. First of all male teachers are few and far between and secondly the profession is overwhelmingly white.

And this also completely ignores that many Black people hold the same problematic views of AAVE that white people do.

What you are talking about is more of an issue for black kids at mixed or white schools.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
What you are talking about is more of an issue for black kids at mixed or white schools.

It's an issue at all schools, many Black people hold the same problematic views of AAVE as white folk do.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Somewhat related.

I saw this article the other day.

Harvard-trained mathematician offers Baltimore students help, no reply from school leaders​

Baltimore (WBFF) — A Harvard University-trained mathematician is offering to help Baltimore City Schools improve math scores.

Just seven percent of Baltimore City third through eighth graders, last year, tested proficient in math.

Dr. Jonathan Farley says he reached out City Schools to offer his help, but City Schools has not even replied to his emails.

In the 1990s, Dr. Farley earned a doctorate in mathematics from the University of Oxford and graduated with honors in mathematics from Harvard University. He’s taught mathematics at Vanderbilt and MIT along with high schools in New York, California, and Massachusetts. Now, he’s a professor at Morgan State University, and he wants to help Baltimore.

“It does not have to be that way,” Farley told Project Baltimore.

41b3841b-e451-47b1-9fea-7c50a0317c81-medium16x9_jonathanfarley.PNG

Farley was watching in February when Project Baltimore broke the news that 23 Baltimore City Schools had zero students, who took the state test last year, score proficient in math. Following that report, Farley sent an email to four of those schools. He wrote, “I can increase the number of students proficient in math next year, and I can show you how to get the funding for the program.” Farley sent that email nearly a month ago. He hasn’t heard back.

When asked about the lack of response, Farley said, “It's par for the course. It tells me that most of the educators don't actually care. In fact, what they seem to be more concerned about is just having a high graduation rate, which is, to me, meaningless.”

The program that Farley offered the schools is a three-pronged approach he’s developed over years to better teach young people math. Step one is perhaps the most important. Farley says math requires concentration. His program starts by removing the students who cause distractions.

“Get rid of the maybe 3 percent of students who are troublemakers. They can go somewhere else. They can be suspended. They can be expelled even,” said Farley. “But then the other students would have a chance to thrive.”

Step two involves drills and repetition. With the problem students gone, Farley begins to train the brain to focus on math.

the rest of the article

Harvard-trained mathematician offers Baltimore students help, no reply from school leaders

I keep telling people the resources are there. You might not have the newest technology and books, but there's a vast amount of resources. Khan Academy and YouTube and teach you several subjects and those instructors are often damn good.

People simply do not care.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
it is poverty and environment tho. if parents have to work longer hours to afford to keep a roof over their kids heads and food on the table, they have little time left between sleeping to impart the lessons their children need.

well off people rely on connections for jobs, it was never about meritocracy. the celebrity scandal a few years back regarding college bribes showed that.

Who's caring for the children while the parents are working? Somebody go time somewhere. Folks ain't working 16 hour days. How you ain't got 30 minutes to teach your kids to survive?