Is it the school to prison pipeline, or home to school then prison pipeline?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Many Black kids enter school speaking a completely different dialect of English which also has a different set of rules that can sometimes conflict with Standard English. This needs to be addressed.

I'm not suggesting that we stop speaking AAVE in Black homes, instead, I am suggesting that schools and teachers have a clear understanding that our kids aren't speaking "poorly" or unintelligibly. They should be handled similarly to ESL students.
Are you old enough to remember the "Ebonics" debate/controversy out in Cali in the 90s?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Are you old enough to remember the "Ebonics" debate/controversy out in Cali in the 90s?

I am and I actually read about it again recently as myself and @OfTheCross the cross have spent the last month or so digging through the issue of Black kids doing so poorly with reading when our native language is English.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
my mother taught me how to read when I was in the first grade, everyday after school we would read hooked on phonics. one day it just clicked.

Same with my mom and my dad taught me simple math. I thought that what was taught to you, was what you did to teach your kid.. Now you stuck on this poverty and environment narrative as the reason. Well im telling you today April 7th, 2023, that a lot of well off parents are throwing their kids education on the back burner as well breh. With respect Im telling you to update your program because this shyt is bigger than a lack of resources.. A portion of this is pure I don't give a shyt about that kid.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
They say the child more often than not takes after the status of the child, a stat that’s brought up a lot is people who that leave poverty after one generation the children typically fall back into poverty, so it’s hard to move up

What does the tea leaves say for a child growing up in poverty who either has one parent, or both parents struggling former/current felons

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They say the child more often than not takes after the status of the child, a stat that’s brought up a lot is people who that leave poverty after one generation the children typically fall back into poverty, so it’s hard to move up

What does the tea leaves say for a child growing up in poverty who either has one parent, or both parents struggling former/current felons

Ive been told the black stones had a center in the Woodlawn area, where they actually taught kids how to read, among other things.. Former felons and non felonst ran that center..

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Same with my mom and my dad taught me simple math. I thought that what was taught to you, was what you did to teach your kid.. Now you stuck on this poverty and environment narrative as the reason. Well im telling you today April 7th, 2023, that a lot of well off parents are throwing their kids education on the back burner as well breh. With respect Im telling you to update your program because this shyt is bigger than a lack of resources.. A portion of this is pure I don't give a shyt about that kid.
it is poverty and environment tho. if parents have to work longer hours to afford to keep a roof over their kids heads and food on the table, they have little time left between sleeping to impart the lessons their children need.

well off people rely on connections for jobs, it was never about meritocracy. the celebrity scandal a few years back regarding college bribes showed that.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
It’s probably called school to prison pipeline cause school is probably the best way to mold a child

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Ive been told the black stones had a center in the Woodlawn area, where they actually taught kids how to read, among other things.. Former felons and non felonst ran that center..
But that’s was a different time, we talking about crack generation till now

Cause for the kids that’s failing what type of families did the come from, did they even have a family

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it is poverty and environment tho. if parents have to work longer hours to afford to keep a roof over their kids heads and food on the table, they have little time left between sleeping to impart the lessons their children need.

well off people rely on connections for jobs, it was never about meritocracy. the celebrity scandal a few years back regarding college bribes showed that.

How they find time to get pregnant? You're saying every child born in poverty is the result of one night stands, or getting fcked in the hall closet at work? You cannot run this narrative no more breh. Social media killed your narrative because these parents have a stronger social media presence than a presence in their kid lives. Keep your head in the sand all you want, but we have a major problem up ahead.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But that’s was a different time, we talking about crack generation till now

Cause for the kids that’s failing what type of families did the come from, did they even have a family

Whats different? Why people find it hard to believe kids who have resources and a family can't be neglected at home..

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
At the same time, programs designed to help speakers of other languages grasp English grammar can also help AAE-speakers. After one majority-Black elementary school that Washington studied implemented a “bilingual curriculum,” the number of students who passed state reading tests increased by 75%.
To some, this carefulness about terminology might sound like performative overkill, but it may be necessary to counteract the longstanding view that AAE is simply incorrect English—even among many within the Black community. When, early in her career, Washington was trying to get parental consent to study children who spoke what she then called “Black English,” she encountered opposition. “What the hell is ‘Black English’?” one mother asked her angrily. “We don’t speak Black English!” When Washington—who is Black—then switched to AAE, the parents sheepishly admitted they did use that variety, but they didn’t like the label.

:francis:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I don’t want to trash other people’s parenting styles or come off as holier than thou, but I’ve seen several family and friends’ kids grow up to be teenagers and how different parenting styles effected the kids’ academic futures.

I’ll sum up the styles and tell how they turned out.

1. Pampering. I’ve seen this style applied to kids who are naturally smart and kids who probably would’ve needed help regardless. These kids don’t understand cause and effect because their mothers or fathers “fix” everything for them. Nothing is ever their fault, so the kids grow up thinking they can do whatever and it’ll turn out ok. Whether the kid is bright or not, they will eventually make mistakes that will throw their lives off track because they’ve never had to deal with consequences early on.

2. Authoritarian. The kids lack confidence because EVERYTHING they do is “wrong” according to their overbearing parents. These kids typically can’t wait to get out of the house and once they do, they make mistakes because the parents never taught them, they just instructed them. So all decisions made individually are coin flips and they’re basically learning the real world through trial and error, not with guidance from someone they trust to give advice.

3. Neglect. These are the kids whose parents are too busy to care or just never cared at all. The kids have no respect for authority because they’ve never had anyone giving them guidance or instructions at home. Their decision making is typically basic and they don’t think long term. They live for the day.

4. Balanced. These parents tend to have conversations with their children and give them real world advice and guidance based on what they’ve seen or experienced. They let their kids make mistakes and use those moments as lessons. They encourage their children and push them to be do well academically, athletically, artistically or excel at whatever they are interested in.

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
image_28324101-b151-4e1c-93ec-c3dfb9760379_900x.jpg