Is it the school to prison pipeline, or home to school then prison pipeline?

bnew

Veteran
Daps
How they find time to get pregnant? You're saying every child born in poverty is the result of one night stands, or getting fcked in the hall closet at work? You cannot run this narrative no more breh. Social media killed your narrative because these parents have a stronger social media presence than a presence in their kid lives. Keep your head in the sand all you want, but we have a major problem up ahead.

not all parents are on social media. :comeon:

a lot of people are parents and many parents don't make parenting their sole identity even though it sounds like thats what you want them to do.

yes we do have a major problem now and an even bigger one manifesting if we don't provide parents with the resources to raise emotionally stable and educated children.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:francis:

I don’t want to trash other people’s parenting styles or come off as holier than thou, but I’ve seen several family and friends’ kids grow up to be teenagers and how different parenting styles effected the kids’ academic futures.

I’ll sum up the styles and tell how they turned out.

1. Pampering. I’ve seen this style applied to kids who are naturally smart and kids who probably would’ve needed help regardless. These kids don’t understand cause and effect because their mothers or fathers “fix” everything for them. Nothing is ever their fault, so the kids grow up thinking they can do whatever and it’ll turn out ok. Whether the kid is bright or not, they will eventually make mistakes that will throw their lives off track because they’ve never had to deal with consequences early on.

2. Authoritarian. The kids lack confidence because EVERYTHING they do is “wrong” according to their overbearing parents. These kids typically can’t wait to get out of the house and once they do, they make mistakes because the parents never taught them, they just instructed them. So all decisions made individually are coin flips and they’re basically learning the real world through trial and error, not with guidance from someone they trust to give advice.

3. Neglect. These are the kids whose parents are too busy to care or just never cared at all. The kids have no respect for authority because they’ve never had anyone giving them guidance or instructions at home. Their decision making is typically basic and they don’t think long term. They live for the day.

4. Balanced. These parents tend to have conversations with their children and give them real world advice and guidance based on what they’ve seen or experienced. They let their kids make mistakes and use those moments as lessons. They encourage their children and push them to be do well academically, athletically, artistically or excel at whatever they are interested in.

You pretty much laid this out perfectly. Their should be a core expectation in parenting, not matter the race. Regardless of what you're facing in life, the success of your seed should take a priority in your life. And balancing that shyt out makes it easy.. These fcking excuses in here is fcking depressing.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
it is poverty and environment tho. if parents have to work longer hours to afford to keep a roof over their kids heads and food on the table, they have little time left between sleeping to impart the lessons their children need.

well off people rely on connections for jobs, it was never about meritocracy. the celebrity scandal a few years back regarding college bribes showed that.
man, sure, there are some people working long hours - so do immigrants who also find time to ensure their kids study - but this "doing my best single mom working two jobs" stereotype needs to stop, that's not all poor kids. all these people i see chillin on the porch/block all day, doing hair out the basement, working regular 6-10 hour shifts in retail, services, or food...you got time to spend an hour with your kid in the morning, afternoon, or before bed reading to them, having them do workbooks, or at least fukking talking to them like a respected human so they can work on conversation skills

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

how is this handled in the UK? don't they have a few "low" forms/dialects of english across various areas? i'd assume those speakers are left alone? or do schools work on getting them to speak "the queens english"?

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
it is poverty and environment tho. if parents have to work longer hours to afford to keep a roof over their kids heads and food on the table, they have little time left between sleeping to impart the lessons their children need.

well off people rely on connections for jobs, it was never about meritocracy. the celebrity scandal a few years back regarding college bribes showed that.

Let's not forget that they forcibly stopped giving out free breakfast to children. How they suppose to learn when they hungry as shyt? People are looking at the effects of poverty and lack, and are very quick to blame shyt on the parents. But when a large group of people have the same issue, it's no longer bond by individual responsiblity, it is a structural issue.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
not all parents are on social media. :comeon:

a lot of people are parents and many parents don't make parenting their sole identity even though it sounds like thats what you want them to do.

yes we do have a major problem now and an even bigger one manifesting if we don't provide parents with the resources to raise emotionally stable and educated children.

You got to balance that shyt out breh.. You don't have to have your kid in your face 24/7 for it to accomplish what im presenting.. 2 hours a day uninterrupted and you can even miss a day here and there. If you're about to bring another life in this work thats the least you should do.

You'll never convince me differently. And thats ok.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
man, sure, there are some people working long hours - so do immigrants who also find time to ensure their kids study - but this "doing my best single mom working two jobs" stereotype needs to stop, that's not all poor kids. all these people i see chillin on the porch/block all day, doing hair out the basement, working regular 6-10 hour shifts in retail, services, or food...you got time to spend an hour with your kid in the morning, afternoon, or before bed reading to them, having them do workbooks, or at least fukking talking to them like a respected human so they can work on conversation skills
chicken in egg problem. if workbooks are free many don't even know where to get them. how can they improve the conversational skills of their children if they lack it themselves. this is why I say resources need to be poured into teh community and doors knocked on so people can learn about how they can improve their situations and what resources are available. many people aren't even aware of the many services their local library provides. like i said before many people don't have the temperament, emotional bandwidth or communications skills necessary to teach. during the pandemic lockdown there many celebrities who talked about how difficult they found it to be to teach their children.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Let's not forget that they forcibly stopped giving out free breakfast to children. How they suppose to learn when they hungry as shyt?

yup and study after study have shown that well-fed children with these free meals programs. have improved children behavior in school and learning. it's why many such programs continued even when schools were closed.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
You got to balance that shyt out breh.. You don't have to have your kid in your face 24/7 for it to accomplish what im presenting.. 2 hours a day uninterrupted and you can even miss a day here and there. If you're about to bring another life in this work thats the least you should do.

You'll never convince me differently. And thats ok.

i'm not arguing against any of that but it's discipline that requires a mental shift that many adult weren't equipped with as children. the problem is cyclical and it'll take more than just a pep talk to get people to make meaningful changes to their life and mode of thinking.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
chicken in egg problem. if workbooks are free many don't even know where to get them. how can they improve the conversational skills of their children if they lack it themselves. this is why I say resources need to be poured into teh community and doors knocked on so people can learn about how they can improve their situations and what resources are available. many people aren't even aware of the many services their local library provides. like i said before many people don't have the temperament, emotional bandwidth or communications skills necessary to teach. during the pandemic lockdown there many celebrities who talked about how difficult they found it to be to teach their children.
conversational skills aren't simply about the english being used, people develop an understanding of context, parts of speech - even if used grammatically incorrect - all of which makes instructing them easier. you go sit a kid at home after school in front of a screen for 4 hours until bed time they miss that

as for not knowing where to get resources - sorry, if you can search on your phone for the latest gossip and have no issue finding that, you can search "free reading books in [insert city]" you can also easily go to the school and ask a teacher/counselor, etc :ld:

parents need to step the fukk up...i'm not even advocating for them to be the ones teaching them, that's not easy, but taking an hour to find them resources? that's not hard and it is your job, especially when, despite the narrative, there are a lot of resources available for low income and struggling students...like fukk, there are FREE learning apps for the phone. mom can sit up looking at tiktok and while dad "likes" thot pics on IG all day but neither can download a learning app? oh boo hoo

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

This proves my point even more.. Ebonics is just another form of communication and I have no problem with it.. The problem is that ebonics is only good amongst the people, the dominant society isn't about to make time to learn it to try and communicate with us. They do it for Mexicans because the dominant society has a plan for them.. They have a plan for us, and it's definitely not anything good. Its best we get a small grasp on the language to at least understand what is going on within this nation..

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
how is this handled in the UK? don't they have a few "low" forms/dialects of english across various areas? i'd assume those speakers are left alone? or do schools work on getting them to speak "the queens english"?

Very good question and one that has come up in another space that I've been discussing this topic.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i'm not arguing against any of that but it's discipline that requires a mental shift that many adult weren't equipped with as children. the problem is cyclical and it'll take more than just a pep talk to get people to make meaningful changes to their life and mode of thinking.

Its tought to even get yourself in that mode. It's almost impossible to carry yourself mentally and someone else. That's why the village is necessary because when you leave one positive person, the next person should bring something positive as well.. Relying on one person is just not going to cut it anymore..

Taco

All Star
Daps
My cousin would talk to his son like a full grown adult . No “goo goo ga ga” or speaking to him like a pet (no cursing around him). Was weird af at first, (not the cursing part) but that kid was speaking so proper by the time he was able to form a full sentence. And to the original point a vast majority of the time people have the time, it’s just not important to them when it should be. shyt in CA you can be prosecuted for you child’s crimes so it’s in your best interest to raise your kid with some sense.

Last edited: