Is Gamepass hurting multiplatform game sales? *RE8 bombs on Xbox*

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m talking about long term wise. Because while it can be great for the 3rd party in the beginning. And also for companies that don’t do well at all when the game drops. But they also run the risk of losing out on potential money in sales if the game blows up big. I guess it all depends on how u look at it and I’m not on the inside so it may not be an issue at all. Just giving an observation I fukks with Gamepass as a consumer since it was on the Xbox One.

I mean we’ve already begun to see evidence of entitlement from that segment of the gaming population, which is why this thread exist. Look how many people say, “i hope it comes to gamepass”, “i can prob wait until it comes to gamepass”, “it will be free on gamepass soon” and just don’t want to spend additional money on top of. Their subscription anymore. they think paying 10 dollars a month gives them access to everything now, because Microsoft has conditioned their fan base to expect that so when a game comes out and sells like crazy on PlayStation, people on xbox wil lclown and call them stupid for spending money, while the game on their platform gets zero burn. It’s like spoiling a child for the first 20 years of their life and then wondering why they don’t know the value of dollar.

If a 3rd party publisher puts a game out for xbox at this point Microsoft has to continually pay the cost up front in order to please their fans or else they won’t buy it, If I’m a publisher I’m looking at that, as:

tenor.gif

Let’s see how long that line of credit last

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
people wait for a game to go on sale. people wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC. people wait for a game to come to PSNow....

this smart-dumb thread is retarded

Waiting for sales is not a marketing pitch by the platform holder though lol

The difference is Sony wants you to buy games brand new, so they will incentivize you buying them brand new.

Microsoft wants you to subscribe to their game rental service, so thats how they market their console. If you have bought a xbox and are fully engaged with their ecosystem of gamepass/xcloud services of course you are gonna want every new game to be on gamepass or wait until it is cause thats what you were told to do.

Again, Sony isn’t actively telling their customers to wait for new games to come to PSNow or PS Plus, or go on sale, they are telling you hey please buy our unique games only that we have for 70 dollars

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Waiting for sales is not a marketing pitch by the platform holder though lol

The difference is Sony wants you to buy games brand new, so they will incentivize you buying them brand new.

Microsoft wants you to subscribe to their game rental service, so thats how they market their console. If you have bought a xbox and are fully engaged with their ecosystem of gamepass/xcloud services of course you are gonna want every new game to be on gamepass or wait until it is cause thats what you were told to do.

Again, Sony isn’t actively telling their customers to wait for new games to come to PSNow or PS Plus, or go on sale, they are telling you hey please buy our unique games only that we have for 70 dollars
must be why Destruction All Stars launched for $70 :troll:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:ohhh: I was told Sony doesn't give games out for free at launch

No one ever said they don’t give out free games, I said they don’t market their console around it. The fact that they are charging 70 for Returnal and Ratchet means they’re planting their feet on the price increase.

The pitch for a PS5 isn’t come get our new console, we got 300 “free” games on it for you to play. It’s come get our PS5 and get all these games you can only play on PS5.

To this day, I’ve still never seen a PS Now ad anywhere

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I said this the other day. So what that MS is paying their development costs? The money comes in the copies sold. If you're a multiplatform title, you stand to lose out on MS because there's no incentive for their base to buy your product when they get it for free.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I said this the other day. So what that MS is paying their development costs? The money comes in the copies sold. If you're a multiplatform title, you stand to lose out on MS because there's no incentive for their base to buy your product when they get it for free.
That actually ends up working out in the Devs favor because MS was getting lapped so bad in the hardware numbers and certain multiplats being more prevalent on PS. If they can get MS to pay them based on GP membership rather than copies sold per console they may stand to make more from their Xbox based titles.

The conversation that people are not ready to have is around micro-transactions or the purchase of DLCs and add-ons for titles that you don't "own" and are therefore time gated to their lifespan on the service. Multiple people said that GP DLC is discounted but is that enough to justify GP being a primary source of gaming consumption?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That actually ends up working out in the Devs favor because MS was getting lapped so bad in the hardware numbers and certain multiplats being more prevalent on PS. If they can get MS to pay them based on GP membership rather than copies sold per console they may stand to make more from their Xbox based titles.

The conversation that people are not ready to have is around micro-transactions or the purchase of DLCs and add-ons for titles that you don't "own" and are therefore time gated to their lifespan on the service. Multiple people said that GP DLC is discounted but is that enough to justify GP being a primary source of gaming consumption?

Exactly. Whats it’s essentially saying is “if you want to actually make money you need to put MTX in this game” and a lot of game designers do not fukk with the concept of mtx. Take Nier for instance, what are they gonna charge you for, theres no dlc, costumes and weapons are free or already included with deluxe versions...etc Are you going to have them change their entire game design just to make a few extra bucks? The type of people that even buy all that extra shyt buy it in collectors editions.