Is Gamepass hurting multiplatform game sales? *RE8 bombs on Xbox*

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I honestly don’t see how it’s sustainable for 3rd party AAA studios unless Microsoft paying them a lump sum up front. And even with that. Who’s to say that lump sum will match the overall sales of the game on the rival platform. I think Gamepass works better for old games, indie games, and 1st party titles.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I find it pretty funny. :pachaha:

All jokes aside, the question is interesting. Companies wanna make bread and if they see that they are gonna be able to make more money with one company than the other, they're gonna start catering to that platform's customers/base.

I do like the streaming model for indies and smaller studios and older games, but for newer shyt. :francis:

There's no way these 3rd party companies are gonna be all giddy and shyt with a streaming model on their new higher development costs games man.

Yeah, and from the sound of it Microsoft don’t share gamepass numbers with publishers and developers. The director of Dirt was talking about how the active player numbers were insane but he didn’t know the actual number of people who had downloaded it on gamepass. So if all you get is the initial surplus’s of money, which may or may not be a big deal, let’s just say its enough to cover the development cost for making it multiplatform, and your game doesn’t have mtx, it’s kind of pointless. So it comes down to does MS want to pay every 3rd party developer for the RIGHT for games to come to their platform or not? is it beneficial for them even? Do people by large even care about something like Nier and Octopath on the xbox? hard to say...../fakeconcern

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I honestly don’t see how it’s sustainable for 3rd party AAA studios unless Microsoft paying them a lump sum up front. And even with that. Who’s to say that lump sum will match the overall sales of the game on the rival platform. I think Gamepass works better for old games, indie games, and 1st party titles.
it doesn't have to match the rival platform, since games can be on GamePass and other platforms

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
it doesn't have to match the rival platform, since games can be on GamePass and other platforms
Tell this shyt to Nintendo. I’m not saying it’s gonna prevent them from putting the game on Microsoft. But I’m saying I don’t see how that business model would give them incentive enough to prioritize Microsoft. Meaning they could possibly offer other platforms timed exclusives, exclusive content, more priority etc etc.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Game pass didn't want to become a forgotten service for broke boys so they decided to actually put new games in the mix which is a mistake. why have a service that's in competition with your console

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Game pass didn't want to become a forgotten service for broke boys so they decided to actually put new games in the mix which is a mistake. why have a service that's in competition with your console

Microsoft doesn’t give a shyt about the xbox, it’s just the best way to sell gamepass to casuals right now. Thats why amazon and google failed because they didn’t have a box to market it on. Microsoft has been an underdog in the console race for 3 generations now, and the only reason this one exist is to push their cloud services.

Once they have enough subscribers they can comfortably go 3rd party and completely drop the hardware once xcloud is on every device with a screeen and WiFi connection

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Tell this shyt to Nintendo. I’m not saying it’s gonna prevent them from putting the game on Microsoft. But I’m saying I don’t see how that business model would give them incentive enough to prioritize Microsoft. Meaning they could possibly offer other platforms timed exclusives, exclusive content, more priority etc etc.
How does this even make sense.

Microsoft might give them money up front to be on Gamepass,which is bad for them, so they then decide to go with another platform to give them money up front to cut content from Xbox???

:dahell: make it make sense

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
they get money either way. they can get GamePass money, and still sell the game on other platforms. or get exclusivity money, and only sell the game on one platform. I think the former sounds better, but it obviously comes down to the amount of money

you game on PC. think of how many sales games lose to be exclusive to the (wack ass) Epic Store (not to mention the bad publicity). it's easy to be an armchair accountant, and say it's not worth it, but apparently the people looking at the number think it is worth it

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Microsoft doesn’t give a shyt about the xbox, it’s just the best way to sell gamepass to casuals right now. Thats why amazon and google failed because they didn’t have a box to market it on. Microsoft has been an underdog in the console race for 3 generations now, and the only reason this one exist is to push their cloud services.

Once they have enough subscribers they can comfortably go 3rd party and completely drop the hardware once xcloud is on every device with a screeen and WiFi connection
played these cats like a goddamn fiddle. You have a OP console, why are you excited about gamepass. The insanity alone pollutes segments of the Sony community. Xbox stopped talking about their powerfulconsole to promote it as a stadia alternative.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
they get money either way. they can get GamePass money, and still sell the game on other platforms. or get exclusivity money, and only sell the game on one platform. I think the former sounds better, but it obviously comes down to the amount of money

you game on PC. think of how many sales games lose to be exclusive to the (wack ass) Epic Store (not to mention the bad publicity). it's easy to be an armchair accountant, and say it's not worth it, but apparently the people looking at the number think it is worth it
U right. I can see ur point.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

played these cats like a goddamn fiddle. You have a OP console, why are you excited about gamepass. The insanity alone pollutes segments of the Sony community. Xbox stopped talking about their powerfulconsole to promote it as a stadia alternative.
The Sony stan fan fiction is :ohlawd:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Yeah, the irony of it is the fact that they think an industry leader needs to adopt this strategy in order to “win” when they are very much not winning

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
How does this even make sense.

Microsoft might give them money up front to be on Gamepass,which is bad for them, so they then decide to go with another platform to give them money up front to cut content from Xbox???

:dahell: make it make sense
I’m talking about long term wise. Because while it can be great for the 3rd party in the beginning. And also for companies that don’t do well at all when the game drops. But they also run the risk of losing out on potential money in sales if the game blows up big. I guess it all depends on how u look at it and I’m not on the inside so it may not be an issue at all. Just giving an observation I fukks with Gamepass as a consumer since it was on the Xbox One.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Micro-transactions and DLCs are the primary means of monetization in todays landscape - ownership vs leasing effects that model.