Is eating out cheaper than cooking at home every day in 2022?

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
my wife just brought my lunch $43 for chic fila for 5 of us smfh

dinner gone be like 20 for home cooked food WITH leftovers

fukk that
2a2a1789610981ee774e67cd675ed7e4_400x400.jpeg

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
It’s cheaper to cook everyday if you’re specifically aiming to save money. If you buy in bulk and eat boring / consistent meals, ie chicken and rice. But if you wanna chef up and make a great meal you’ll enjoy? It honestly isn’t that much cheaper.

You can also eat out consistently and have it end up cheaper than cooking, but most likely it’s gonna be trash food which will be costly to your health in the long run. There’s a reason you can get a Wendy’s 4 for $4, because nutritionally it’s garbage food.
I agree. If you wanna use elite ingredients it will cost. HOWEVER you will not be buying those ingredients every time. My pantry stays stocked so I don’t Have to purchase each time, so what I end up buying is just protein and veg. Buying in bulk helps.

Also save your kitchen scraps to make nice meals. Don’t buy stock, you can make it with rotisserie chicken scraps, bits of onion ends you will usually throw away, carrot peels etc. All you do is boil it up strain it and you have stock. That stretches your money further as you’re now getting two meals out of one purchase.

I have a freezer filled with, chicken skin, prawn shells and heads, beef bones, lamb bones etc; these are usually from previous meals. If I go to the butchers I get them to skin the meat and take the skin home. If I want the meat deboned, I take the bones home too. Going to the butchers is cheaper than going to the supermarket, you get more bang for your buck and you can choose your meat specifically as they cut the meat the way you ask. It’s a good choice if you have access.

Finally; stop buying pre made shyt.

shyt like:
Grated cheese
Precooked rice
Bagged salad
Chopped and peeled fruit.

Every process that is done to the raw product cost you the end user; processed food isn’t just bad for your health it’s bad for your pocket.

You can really cook nice meals at home if you utilise you’re ingredients well.

Last edited:

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
$3 of broccoli and $12 on some chicken this is what's left after my wife and kids ate and I'm eating light tonight so I'll def have lunch tomorrow (Friday 😊)

shyt ain't pretty but it's gone get the job done 👍🏿

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
It really depends what you eat.

If you shop efficiently you can grab everything you need for around $200. That’s meals for about a week. Eating out every day would cost me around $60 a night.

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
Can always tell who actually cooks at home was opposed to “cooking” in these threads, using the fruit/veg already cut and triple the price of whole produce you have to prep yourself. No advance meal plans where you make use of similar ingredients in several meals over a weeks time so they waste a bunch of shyt or overbuy. it’s not even close to being in the eating out price range, and it doesn’t matter what you are eating

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
Honestly, yes. But I'm a simple man. I just cook baked chicken, potatoes, greens, rice, vegetables, noodles, and some other simple dishes at home.

I also buy groceries in bulk which also saves me a lot of money throughout the week.

The times I do eat out, I'm honestly shocked at how expensive things have gotten. A combo at any fast food joint under $10 is either non-existent or feels more like a snack or side dish than an actual meal.

And that's another thing: Fast food comes and goes so fast. I remember buying and eating a fried chicken combo from KFC and I was literally craving a meal 45 minutes after eating it. And I ate more food at home.

At least home cooked food is more likely to actually fill you up. Fast food is overpriced and doesn't fill you up.

Diners and delis are lowkey underrated for saving money too. The key is to not sit down(where you'll pay for a tip or beverage) and to just order it for pick up. It's honestly cheaper than fast food.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
French toast (3 slices), bacon and eggs at a diner probably costs like 15 dollars

Buy some good quality bread for $6
A dozen eggs for $4
Pack of bacon $4
Basic syrup $2
Cinnamon $1
Nutmeg $3

$20 that gives you 3 servings of that meal, while having eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Left over for later usage, vs the $15 for one serving at the diner

And the time you spent cooking probably was only 5 minutes more than the time you spent waiting. And you saved at least 12 minutes of commute.

And you feel more accomplished for having it made it from scratch

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
i hate this take. i'm eat out like a muhfukka but at least i know it's a problem.
you b*stards don't know how to shop or cook.... :scusthov:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly most nikkas don't know how to shop, and don't care enough to keep an eye out for sales

If you really know how to cook, and got an eye for sales when they pop up(which is often), before you know it you'll have more food than you know what to do with

Just yesterday I left Kroger with 2 cartons of eggs and two BIG ass bags of potatoes, all on sale for $1.99 each. I don't even know if I can eat all these muthafukkin potatoes:mjlol:

And if you live in a city with an Aldi's you're blessed

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I dont think so but the cost gape is not as pronounced as it once was

And you would have to do a breakdown of what you eat, your purchasing habits and where you purchase the food you cooked and from where you ate out