Is eating out cheaper than cooking at home every day in 2022?

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
If you eat only what you cooked consistently, then yeah, chances are it's significantly cheaper per meal.

12-pack of Crossiants at Sam's Club - $6
Deli sliced turkey, 1 pound - $13
Bacon - $7 pack, but you can find the fully cooked bacon for $4.50
1/2 pound of cheese, deli sliced - $7
Toppings/Condiments - Let's assume $10 bucks, depending on tastes.
Large bag of chips - $4

$42-52 bucks spent, should make 12 sandwiches + handful of chips on the side = roughly $4 per meal, give or take some loose change.

That same meal at Jason's Deli is going to run you about $8-10 bucks.

The problem is sometimes you dont wanna have to be forced to eat 12 sandos before the ingredients go stale or bad .. :francis:

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
It definitely does save money. For breakfast alone, if I go out to eat it's like 15 dollars for a waffle, 2 eggs, and 2 sausages plus a 15% tip. On the other hand for that 15-plus tip, i could go to the grocery store and get a box of waffles, a dozen eggs, and a pack of sausages and eat for like 4-5 days

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
The problem is sometimes you dont wanna have to be forced to eat 12 sandos before the ingredients go stale or bad .. :francis:

I feel that. My lady and I do the meal prep thing but by the third day, I'm ready to break the cycle for a meal or two. Either way, the best course of action is to find foods that no matter what, you wouldn't get tired/turn it down more often than not. I'm a simple breh so a turkey club will do the job a lot of times, hence the example I gave.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
The question wasn't about variety, it was about cost efficiency.

You can buy a large pack of chicken thighs for about $15. A big bag of frozen vegetables for about $4. 5lbs of potatoes for about $5. Add another $10 for trimmings and you're about $40 for a weeks worth of dinners. Chicken and potatoes are versatile af, so you can essentially have a different meal every night. You can barely buy a balanced meal for $40. Fast food, sure, but an actual meal is more expensive. Definitely more cost efficient to cook at home.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
You have to consider most people eat like straight up fat assess and eat way too much meat and don’t maximize their carb, veggies, and fruit intake properly nor the management. It’s def still cheaper to make your food but you have to have discipline when you eat it

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Depends.

I spend about 800 a month on groceries.

To eat how I eat, eating out, I’d probably avg 100 a day (I eat about 5 “meals” consisting of mostly whole foods)

So for me, it’s saves money.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's only true if you don't shop efficiently.

Midweek meals don't need to be extravagant, since most people don't really feel like cooking anyway, so you can get relatively cheap stuff that can cover multiple meals.

For example, a decent sized pack of ground beef can be tacos one night, and pasta or burgers the next. A pack of chicken breasts or thighs can cover multiple meals. Occasionally have a bigger grocery trip where you restock on pantry stuff that goes along with the proteins like pastas, rice, etc. Produce can still be kept relatively cheap, too.

Daps

True, but only the bread is requiring you to eat 12 sandwiches. You could buy a smaller bag of bread; the rest of the perishable items can certainly be reduced to meet the number of sandwiches you eat.

Even if you had to let some bread go to waste your cost per sandwich consumed still wouldn’t go up by more than 50 cents or so; nowhere near the levels of deli prices.

Eating out saves nothing but time (which is not unimportant).

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Depends on how valuable your time is. Cooking is a process and can take a few hours to prepare a meal for a family. I love cooking but sometimes it's just easier to get take out because of the time it would take to cook a meal and clean.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
Number one, you not cooking EVERY DAY. You buy a couple packs of meat/protein, a large bag of rice or potatoes, and rotate fresh veggies in you probably spent like $40-50. You getting SEVERAL meals out of that.

Now how much you spending for a takeout/sitdown meal that maybe lasts you 2 days. The cost per plate of the meal you made is MUCH cheaper (and healthier!) than what you spending going out. Let these goofball "influencers" steer yall wrong

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
If you eat only what you cooked consistently, then yeah, chances are it's significantly cheaper per meal.

12-pack of Crossiants at Sam's Club - $6
Deli sliced turkey, 1 pound - $13
Bacon - $7 pack, but you can find the fully cooked bacon for $4.50
1/2 pound of cheese, deli sliced - $7
Toppings/Condiments - Let's assume $10 bucks, depending on tastes.
Large bag of chips - $4

$42-52 bucks spent, should make 12 sandwiches + handful of chips on the side = roughly $4 per meal, give or take some loose change.

That same meal at Jason's Deli is going to run you about $8-10 bucks.
sandwiches are a solid idea and i unno how i never meal prepped them :ohhh:

meat dishes are much easier for me tho

I copped 4 quarter chicken legs from the deli for $6, some veggies for from a local spot for $5 and used some leftover rice to meal-prep

chicken is hella cheap tho and you can mix the recipe based on the sauce or whatever you like (im doing honey jerk this week). Just an issue once you switch to another cut of meat