Is Dr. Dre at the root of all the destructive trends in rap? EDIT: Just the music, not the ills of the Black community

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
"The pincer movement, or double envelopment, is a military maneuver in which forces simultaneously attack both flanks (sides) of an enemy formation. This classic maneuver is important throughout the history of warfare."

"A full pincer movement leads to the attacking army facing the enemy in front, on both flanks, and in the rear. If attacking pincers link up in the enemy's rear, the enemy is encircled"

220px-Pincer.png

:hubie:

Shaka da great.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I put it more on Tupac. Breh went from fun party, semi-conscious rapper to glorifying the thug life. He had a higher profile than Dre and had to try and fit in with the LA Crips and Bloods gang culture. Then I think he started the east-west coast beef which was perplexing since he was born and raised in the east. And he had a Black Panther background so he should have been pushing unity.
Just my thoughts that can be corrected.

Pac had to act a fool so people can understand and listen to his message like CW does...

Not to mention that he wanted to sell records.

Notice how folks talk about the fukery in his Death Row days such as him whipping Mopreme in front Suge, etc.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I put it more on Tupac. Breh went from fun party, semi-conscious rapper to glorifying the thug life. He had a higher profile than Dre and had to try and fit in with the LA Crips and Bloods gang culture. Then I think he started the east-west coast beef which was perplexing since he was born and raised in the east. And he had a Black Panther background so he should have been pushing unity.
Just my thoughts that can be corrected.

This makes no sense 2 pac biggest records won’t gangster at all. pac was more of a representation of the young black man of the 90’s.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
NWA existed before Jerry Heller came into the picture.
Jerry Heller was working at Macola Records when he met Eazy E.
Macola Records was primarily a blues label in the 80's.
Artist like Z.Z. Hill were signed to Macola.
At the time, Ruthless, like every other rap and Black dance artist in L.A., was having their records pressed and distributed by Macola Records.

Heller was working there because his A-list music days were over. He was hungry.
Heller noticed noticed how many records they were moving and was curious.

Now. Who else was controlling Dre?
Actually ZZ Hill was signed to Malaco Records, which was based in Jackson, Mississippi.

Macola Records was a DIY label that specialized in ranch music in the 80s.

But, I see your point.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Not a statement, but a question.:jbhmm:

Let's see.
Excessive profanity? Check.
Extreme misogyny, which includes addressing ALL women as bytches? Check.
Glamorizing street violence and Black death? Check.
Glamorizing gang culture? Check.
Promoting drug use? Check.
Glamorizing hood life overall? Check.
The only thing that can't be linked to him is thot rap.

Dre is arguably the greatest hip hop producer of all time.
His fire ass music in his prime made any lyrical content listenable.
His talent can't be denied.
But did such great music behind such negativity make us lose sight of what we were consuming and putting out to the world?

BTW, if you're thinking of posting Lucille Bogan Shave Em Dry, do yourself a favor and don't.

We’re blaming Uncle Luke for that …

:mjgrin:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This

Death Row and Suge Knight is what brought the gang banging element to rap. shyt got so hot even Dr.Dre had to back up out the kitchen :huhldup:
No they didn’t

Does no one know hip hop history????

Dr Dre popularized and it and glamorized it

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Actually ZZ Hill was signed to Malaco Records, which was based in Jackson, Mississippi.

Macola Records was a DIY label that specialized in ranch music in the 80s.

But, I see your point.
You're right about this.
I conflated the two.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Maybe. But, if you want to go that route, you might as well point the finger at Interscope and Capitol Records in general.

They even denounced Black Power from Public Enemy as well. That was when the "real nikka" trope was the pinnacle of black masculinity, according to them.