Is California a better state to live for black folks than:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I'm well aware of the racial dynamics in this country which is why I said you have to pick where to be a second-class citizen. I don't think Seattle is a utopia, I just like the vibes.

I will research its future role with prisons. I appreciate the heads up.

Washington state is a cul de sac prison industrial economy discovery zone in America right now.
That in the future will be cited.
or referenced by pr as such.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
So to tie that back into the OP, for my criteria the two best cities in California are Los Angeles and Sacramento. And they check off most of these boxes easily...

Are there blacker cities in the South, with stronger representation, that check most of these boxes, too? Sure, but it's not an all or nothing thing for me, everything is nuanced. But this is where I'll take the time to plug the state of North Carolina as the absolute best state for black people...

You have at minimum a half-dozen sizable cities in NC that check nearly all the boxes here. That's a variety of cities for someone to choose from, whereas you have states like Tennessee (Nashville) and Alabama (Huntsville) and Georgia (Atlanta) where there's really just one optimal city for black people. You have states like Mississippi and Arkansas and Louisiana where there are no truly GREAT options for us. Again, the South isn't monolithic...

NC has a variety of cities with enormous black presence, we are well represented both locally and at the state level, we are economically healthy statewide, etc. Most states not fukking with that, and in comparison for California I'd say it's only LA, Sac, and Oakland. We'll see what the rest of this decade brings to Bakersfield and the IE, but they are peripheral at best right now. Almost nowhere has the range of cities the way NC has...

I'm more of a Virginia guy but VA's big cities aren't that great for us outside of The Beach. I just prefer Virginia culture over NC overall...

All three of my daughters are being raised here. Within the next 2 years I'll make my way back to having at least partial residence in Sacramento, if not in full, and this is, in part, inspired by a desire to allow my daughters to experience some variance in their upbringing when they are with me, so that this isn't all they know. But, growing up black in NC, I can tell you it's worse almost anywhere else...

For my money NC is the #1 place for black people but California is still a Top 10 state for us...

Great post.

As far as Carolina?

What are the attractions.

Living in south carilina. These people seem to have no spirit to do shyt and there is no hiphop. So give me some idea of why shpuld I stay.
Luke who is rhe promoter or dj here to go see for starters. As the Carolinas are huff and the people come across as boring to me being from a big city. So what is so great about the Carolinas?

Asking to know frfr.

Art Barr

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Great post.

As far as Carolina?

What are the attractions.

Living in south carilina. These people seem to have no spirit to do shyt and there is no hiphop. So give me some idea of why shpuld I stay.
Luke who is rhe promoter or dj here to go see for starters. As the Carolinas are huff and the people come across as boring to me being from a big city. So what is so great about the Carolinas?

Asking to know frfr.

Art Barr
Where is SC are you? I'm fairly familiar with the state but it's not a place with a bunch of shyt going on...

You shoulda came to NC 🤣...

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Where is SC are you? I'm fairly familiar with the state but it's not a place with a bunch of shyt going on...

You shoulda came to NC 🤣...

They both the same to me.

I do not see the whole South or north Carolina is better game.
All the gamesmanship centered around which carolina is better game is some white shyt.

Like what is so great out here to do.

What are the dj's names and the promoter who makes it dope for black people in Carolina North or South.

Art Barr

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
They both the same to me.

I do not see the whole South or north Carolina is better game.
All the gamesmanship centered around which carolina is better game is some white shyt.

Like what is so great out here to do.

What are the dj's names and the promoter who makes it dope for black people in Carolina North or South.

Art Barr
That's just like saying all of Illinois is the same. You're from Chicago, you wouldn't go for that 🤣 everywhere in Illinois isn't like Chicago...

And everywhere in Carolina isn't the same...

I don't know anything about DJs and promoters, not my lane. But if you're looking for a robust hip hop scene only Charlotte is super strong. You've got decent scenes elsewhere too but the best you'll see will be in Charlotte...

Where are you in SC?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That's just like saying all of Illinois is the same. You're from Chicago, you wouldn't go for that 🤣 everywhere in Illinois isn't like Chicago...

And everywhere in Carolina isn't the same...

I don't know anything about DJs and promoters, not my lane. But if you're looking for a robust hip hop scene only Charlotte is super strong. You've got decent scenes elsewhere too but the best you'll see will be in Charlotte...

Where are you in SC?

This place called gray court.

Just where is this so called hiphop scene?

Art Barr

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This place called gray court.

Just where is this so called hiphop scene?

Art Barr
🤣 my boy you so deep in the boonies I had to look up where that was at 🤣 🤣

Of course you don't see nothing worth doing with where you're at. You gotta go up to Greenville to see any action, you're only 27 miles out. Now, I don't know Greenville for having no real hip hop scene but at least there are women abd black people there...

I told you I'm not in the DJ or promotion scenes, so I can't tell you where specifically the venues are. You're only 100 miles or so from Charlotte, I lived there prior and can tell you for sure there's hip hop culture there. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you went and checked it out...

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
🤣 my boy you so deep in the boonies I had to look up where that was at 🤣 🤣

Of course you don't see nothing worth doing with where you're at. You gotta go up to Greenville to see any action, you're only 27 miles out. Now, I don't know Greenville for having no real hip hop scene but at least there are women abd black people there...

I told you I'm not in the DJ or promotion scenes, so I can't tell you where specifically the venues are. You're only 100 miles or so from Charlotte, I lived there prior and can tell you for sure there's hip hop culture there. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you went and checked it out...

This shyt some homebody bullshyt in greenville.
All this little town shyt huff.

The women huff as hell out here. Or married and homebodies.

I ain't never seen no attractive females out here like that tbh.

shyt huff.

Greenville = huff

the south = huff

change my mind.
please ,... no bullshyt.

Art Barr

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This shyt some homebody bullshyt in greenville.
All this little town shyt huff.

The women huff as hell out here. Or married and homebodies.

I ain't never seen no attractive females out here like that tbh.

shyt huff.

Greenville = huff

the south = huff

change my mind.
please ,... no bullshyt.

Art Barr
I can't change your mind bro 🤣 I'm not the biggest advocate for the South outside a few spots. I think Greenville is a cool little city but I wouldn't live there...

I still say you should go to Charlotte when you have free time, it's an actual city with real shyt to do!

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
So to tie that back into the OP, for my criteria the two best cities in California are Los Angeles and Sacramento. And they check off most of these boxes easily...

Are there blacker cities in the South, with stronger representation, that check most of these boxes, too? Sure, but it's not an all or nothing thing for me, everything is nuanced. But this is where I'll take the time to plug the state of North Carolina as the absolute best state for black people...

You have at minimum a half-dozen sizable cities in NC that check nearly all the boxes here. That's a variety of cities for someone to choose from, whereas you have states like Tennessee (Nashville) and Alabama (Huntsville) and Georgia (Atlanta) where there's really just one optimal city for black people. You have states like Mississippi and Arkansas and Louisiana where there are no truly GREAT options for us. Again, the South isn't monolithic...

NC has a variety of cities with enormous black presence, we are well represented both locally and at the state level, we are economically healthy statewide, etc. Most states not fukking with that, and in comparison for California I'd say it's only LA, Sac, and Oakland. We'll see what the rest of this decade brings to Bakersfield and the IE, but they are peripheral at best right now. Almost nowhere has the range of cities the way NC has...

I'm more of a Virginia guy but VA's big cities aren't that great for us outside of The Beach. I just prefer Virginia culture over NC overall...

All three of my daughters are being raised here. Within the next 2 years I'll make my way back to having at least partial residence in Sacramento, if not in full, and this is, in part, inspired by a desire to allow my daughters to experience some variance in their upbringing when they are with me, so that this isn't all they know. But, growing up black in NC, I can tell you it's worse almost anywhere else...

For my money NC is the #1 place for black people but California is still a Top 10 state for us...
I'm curious as to what makes up the rest of the Top 10...
Just say you like living around a bunch of Hispanics. :yeshrug:
Username to post correlation :pachaha:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I can't change your mind bro 🤣 I'm not the biggest advocate for the South outside a few spots. I think Greenville is a cool little city but I wouldn't live there...

I still say you should go to Charlotte when you have free time, it's an actual city with real shyt to do!

i am just hoping to get back to the chi.
i been in all these little towns from being ot and performing on the road.

i already know what it was and how i wound up here is a long enough story for a chapter in the art barr bio or book.

so i am just gonna concentrate on making it back home.
then having fun at home again.

i found a cheap joy out here.

they got all you can eat crab for the low out here at a buffet for 17.99.
so it is holding me over besides all the food being mostly trash here and of course no pizza.

wish someone would keep it real here about females.

yet i believe these dudes do not want you in the ponds they struggle at for women.
to beast on i would guess the few females they have attractive here.
so they not to forth coming.
about where the females are out here in the stix f'oh real...
this is the highest domestic violence state in the usa.

so i take it attractive females are all boo'd up or cheat.

Or since this is a burlesque zone.
The females do extras.
when i am out of the lothario roster stage at this age.

unless i move to sosua like i was gonna do.
before corona fukked up my life.

art barr

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Just say you like living around a bunch of Hispanics. :yeshrug:
If I felt that way, I'd say it...

I've lived in majority black, white, and Hispanic neighborhoods, I've also lived in neighborhoods where there was no majority and racially/ethnically balanced. I had my greatest personal experiences in the blended neighborhoods, though if I had to live in a neighborhood that was majority anyone I'd want majority black by far, not even close...

I've never lived in wealthy all black communities, like Baldwin Hills or what you can find in some parts of PG, since those wealthy black areas are scant. Maybe if I've experienced that, I would feel differently. As it is, the drawback of living in majority black communities typically tend to be the fact they are under-resourced, whether that is in transportation, education, food and grocers (food deserts in black neighborhoods is a real and well documented thing), parks and recreation, public services (police, fire, ambulance, utilities under-resourced is well documented), on and on and on...

Whereas, in my own experience, living in racially blended areas where there's no majority, but we as black folk are represented between 20 and 40% I've found there's generally more attention and more resources and sometimes this is in neighborhoods that are plurality black. And I value that for myself and my children...

I don't and never have had an issue living around US, my entire issue comes down to how resourced and cared for majority black communities are...

I also think we put our kids at a disadvantage, and ourselves, when we don't know how to navigate relationships with people besides ourselves, whether personal or professional. My daughter goes to a school here in Raleigh that is 33% Hispanic (48% black) and they teach them everything they are learning in Spanish, too. I went to grade school in California where they didn't specifically teach you math or language in Spanish, even though we lived around majority Hispanics. So I think there's huge value in kids growing up in school systems and communities learning to handle relationships with people who don't look like them...
I'm curious as to what makes up the rest of the Top 10...

Username to post correlation :pachaha:
Good question, I mean I think Florida, Maryland, and Texas may be the only other locks as Top 10 states. I think California is in there. I think you could make arguments for Virginia and New York and several other places but there are very few locks...

I think NC is easily the best state for us, all things considered, across the board...
i am just hoping to get back to the chi.
i been in all these little towns from being ot and performing on the road.

i already know what it was and how i wound up here is a long enough story for a chapter in the art barr bio or book.

so i am just gonna concentrate on making it back home.
then having fun at home again.

i found a cheap joy out here.

they got all you can eat crab for the low out here at a buffet for 17.99.
so it is holding me over besides all the food being mostly trash here and of course no pizza.

wish someone would keep it real here about females.

yet i believe these dudes do not want you in the ponds they struggle at for women.
to beast on i would guess the few females they have attractive here.
so they not to forth coming.
about where the females are out here in the stix f'oh real...
this is the highest domestic violence state in the usa.

so i take it attractive females are all boo'd up or cheat.

Or since this is a burlesque zone.
The females do extras.
when i am out of the lothario roster stage at this age.

unless i move to sosua like i was gonna do.
before corona fukked up my life.

art barr
You gotta get to Charlotte. The women of Charlotte some of the baddest women in America!