Is California a better state to live for black folks than:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
The "South" is not monolithic at all.

There's Southern states like Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, and Virginia that are more moderate and have more Blue cities/suburbs in them.

Even California isn't monolithic. Orange County is one of the biggest Republican strongholds in the country with tons of not only Whites but Asians, Hispanics, and Persians that are :mjpls: :mjpls: due to being conservative and not being used to being around Black people at all.

And rural/inland California has tons of rednecks that are as racist as their Southern/Midwestern counterparts. And there's minority communities dominated by Hispanics, Asians, and Middle Easterners that aren't very accepting of us.

Even the living standards vary. California has a very strong economy in the Bay Area but the Bay is also one of the most expensive parts of the country and hard to live in if you're not in tech. LA has Hollywood but actors are broke these days if they're not at least B list. My cousin moved to LA to become an actor more than a decade ago and he still hasn't "made it" outside some commercial spots and meeting celebs in person. He's still living with 5 roommates and has multiple "hustles" that have nothing to do with acting.

In the South, Virginia, NC, Tennessee, and Texas have pretty strong economies while the rest have average at best to poor economies. That said, the COL is much lower so you can get more of a bang for your buck even without a White collar job and buying a home is easier. It's still tough to thrive with such shytty wages and lack of job benefits though that's prevalent in many Southern states.

All in all, it really depends cause we're talking about 2 huge areas here.
So basically capitalism and demographics rule the day. This was a very thought out post filled with nuance and facts. No blind support and generalizations. :salute:

Blown Moon

All Star
Daps
:salute:
PNW looks like paradise if you’re wealthy. Seattle is beautiful. As is Tacoma.

Yeah, the price drops in MOST places the further you get away from Seattle that's why I'm looking at Everett, Puyallup, maybe even as far as Mt Vernon. I'll be able to cut down on the col significantly.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Sounds like boostraps talk. Which..I mean. That’s all there is to it. :hubie:

It’s not bootstrap talk at all. You’re dismissing that it can be done with effort as if I’m saying it’ll take a miracle and good luck. We can’t strive to be mediocre in any city and expect our situation to change. I’ve never wanted to live where it’s easier, I wanted to live where I like the scenery and food and can make no plans but still have options for activities and entertainment.

I think most people stay where they’re comfortable at because they don’t want the challenge or don’t have the confidence in their abilities to survive the obstacles that come with it. It’s the same reason most people won’t start a business or chase their dreams. Fear.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
As a native 1st generation black Californian, it’s definitely a wack state if you are just a regular person trying to make it.

Southeast by all metrics is better for black people.

California is just as bigoted and ignorant as any Southern state, it’s just packaged differently