is bamboozled spike lee's most underrated film?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
My biggest issues with Bamboozled is that Spike seemed allergic to subtlety, spent too much time going after low hanging fruit, and delivered a shytty ending.

I don't see it as underrated but more of a film that was daring but majorly flawed.

I would say Red Hook Summer is probably Spike's most underrated movie and is far more misunderstood than Bamboozled has been over the years. Spike put a gigantic spotlight on an issue that has been pervasive in not just the black community but in all communities in this country for years and years and years while keeping that shyt extra real instead of doing the Hollywood ending where an awful person gets their comeuppance and everyone around him has the reaction that is expected.
With Red Hook Summer he made a movie that he knew would be polarizing because people refuse to be self-reflective and see that what Spike did in his film is what American society does in real life all the time.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
My biggest issues with Bamboozled is that Spike seemed allergic to subtlety, spent too much time going after low hanging fruit, and delivered a shytty ending.

I don't see it as underrated but more of a film that was daring but majorly flawed.

I would say Red Hook Summer is probably Spike's most underrated movie and is far more misunderstood than Bamboozled has been over the years. Spike put a gigantic spotlight on an issue that has been pervasive in not just the black community but in all communities in this country for years and years and years while keeping that shyt extra real instead of doing the Hollywood ending where an awful person gets their comeuppance and everyone around him has the reaction that is expected.
With Red Hook Summer he made a movie that he knew would be polarizing because people refuse to be self-reflective and see that what Spike did in his film is what American society does in real life all the time.
Good analysis. It also gets lost that Red Hook Summer could be the sequel to Do The Right Thing.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Good analysis. It also gets lost that Red Hook Summer could be the sequel to Do The Right Thing.
It is part of Spike's "Chronicles of Brooklyn" series of movies (along with She's Gotta Have It; Do the Right Thing; Crooklyn; Clockers; He Got Game) so it is a pseudo sequel.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

Red Hook Summer is probably a movie I have to revisit, but on first viewing I thought it was awful. He forced so many messages into that movie that it became a mess.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
:hubie:Spike Lee needed his ass whopped for making that bullshyt.

Reeks of classism and "white folk" is looking. In fact, I blame him for bringing the word "c00n" into the contemporary lexicon.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:hubie:Spike Lee needed his ass whopped for making that bullshyt.

Reeks of classism and "white folk" is looking. In fact, I blame him for bringing the word "c00n" into the contemporary lexicon.

That film is more than needed for the black psyche :ufdup:

Dispute that with ANYONE in this thread