IS American Gangster a classic film?

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
The Ritchie Roberts storyline should not have been in the movie until the last part of the movie. They cut out large parts of Franks story from the script because Russell Crowe wouldn't do the movie unless he had equal screen time. The original screenplay Tru Blu was more in tune with Once Upon A Time In America but they turned it into Heat 2.0 in the 70's.... I beleive Denzel and Benicio Del Toro were originally supposed to be in it with Antonio Fuqua directing.
And if correct Denzel got paid twice since they scrapped the film with Benecio who also got paid for not filming anything.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s the last best gangster film that came out. 8.5 easily

Josh Brolin doesn’t get enough props in this film

Red

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched it again last night. For a long film there's really very little character development or exploration, which leaves it feeling rushed despite being almost 3 hours long.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
Frank Mathews should really have got that big budget movie. Much more interesting with multi city networks and the way his story ended.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
what do you think of this film 8 years later? does it hold up? i never liked the Russell Crowe portion. one thing cats need to learn about gangster and crime films, the police part is always theleast interesting, and they dedicated half this film to that shyt. They should have kept it on Frank Lucas and his family and his business i think it would have been better. i give it a solid 8/10.
I agree with the bolded, i actually think thats what holds this back from being an undisputed classic.
He was the wrong actor for the role.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I really enjoyed it when it dropped in 2007, but now? Not as much. It's still good and it inspired Jay-Z's final great album, but there's so many better Ridley Scott directed films out there and the same goes for Russell and Denzel as well. I wouldn't put this in any of their top 5s (especially the latter two.) If I see it on tv, which I do every once in a while, then I'll watch. That scene where Frank finally gets arrested as he walks out of the church with his family while "Amazing Grace" plays is a pretty brilliant scene. There are no big shoot outs or the villain yelling at the top of his lungs as he gets arrested; he just walks outside and accepts what's about to happen and he doesn't cry or try to fight it. There's something very melancholy about that.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Well, I’ll say Denzel gave a classic performance but he always does :russ:

It’s a frequent rewatch on our tour van after a quick blunt and food stop on the motorway

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I remember being hype for American Gangster and thinking it was just okay.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Classic for me. I lived thru that era and once saw Nicky Barnes.

Curtis Mayfield had a hit record out called 'Stone Junkie'

Stone Junkie (Live at The Bitter End, NYC)​

I didn't become a true Josh Brolin fan until 'Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps'

More -

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
No, it was the most overhyped boring ass movie I have seen at the time, along with the most underacting from Denzel. When Cuba of all people murder you on your own shyt, that's a problem. When the actual Jay album was better than the actual movie, that's a problem. When the bootlegs hit the streets months beyond the actual theater release, that is a problem.

The fact that Denzel treats the movie like an afterthought compared to his other flicks, that is a problem. The movie felt mundane, missing seasoning, and basically a Dame Dash joint with a Spike Lee budget.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
No, it was the most overhyped boring ass movie I have seen at the time, along with the most underacting from Denzel. When Cuba of all people murder you on your own shyt, that's a problem. When the actual Jay album was better than the actual movie, that's a problem. When the bootlegs hit the streets months beyond the actual theater release, that is a problem.

The fact that Denzel treats the movie like an afterthought compared to his other flicks, that is a problem. The movie felt mundane, missing seasoning, and basically a Dame Dash joint with a Spike Lee budget.
With very few lines to boot....and still was the best supporting actor of the film 🎥