IS American Gangster a classic film?

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Felt like it could've been better if Denzel wasn't worried about glorifying the life of Frank Lucas . He did a great job but I know Crowe's character was magnified to take away some of HIS storyline.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Felt like it could've been better if Denzel wasn't worried about glorifying the life of Frank Lucas . He did a great job but I know Crowe's character was magnified to take away some of HIS storyline.
Or maybe denzel just did as he was told and we got so much Crowe cuz he's good with the director :francis:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
As great as Denzel was..

He wasnt really Frank Lucas :francis:

I think somebody like Jeffery Wright would have transformed into the role :yeshrug:.

Denzel did bring star power too it so it had that added bonus of seeing him play a bad guy again :myman:

Its why I dont have a problem with Crowe getting half the screen time. It was trying to be a 70s version of Heat (in terms of two Hollywood stars against opposite sides of the law), but didnt have quite the execution.

I thought that scene with Cuba Gooding was dope though. It set up for a war that never happened.

Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a great Nicky Barnes imo :ehh:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I didn't think it was classic when it dropped and still isn't. I agree about the lack of energy in it. I look at a New Jack where they made Nino both charismatic but also completely despicable at the same time and were able to get across the ruthlessness and extravagance and greed that went into it all.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Kind of wonder if all the production problems and rewrites did it in..scotton from what I understand was responsible for adding in the Richie divorce...Not like Scott was the
Not a classic off the strength of RZA having a Wu Tang tattoo in the 1970s :stopitslime:
If the film took place in the early 80s, wouldn't have been so bad...or maybe they just could've covered up his tat? Nah, the movie was already over budget.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I REALLY like the movie..but too much Crowe like everyone has said.

Should have been more Focus on Frank vs Nicky Barnes.

For sure. If they had done a thing where Nicky represented unwitting participation in capitalism that traps you in an underclass and Frank represented using capitalism to break free of the oppression it (and lots of other things) creates for african americans we could have a classic movie.