IS American Gangster a classic film?

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I think the focus on Crowe is justified because in most great crime dramas, there is always focus on both sides of the law.

With that said, it's not classic at all. It's a bland movies, carried by some good acting
It should've been more crime focused like godfather and goodfellas. The law doesn't dominate those films let alone eat up 50% of the movie. It could've been in that vein of those classic crime films.

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
Also, don't know why it was so important to focus on the arresting officer. Outside of Donnie Brasco, i can't think of another Mob movie where SO much time is spent on the cop:what:

But even with Brasco, he was undercover so that really doesn't even count

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, don't know why it was so important to focus on the arresting officer. Outside of Donnie Brasco, i can't think of another Mob movie where SO much time is spent on the cop:what:

But even with Brasco, he was undercover so that really doesn't even count

maybe HEAT, but that more bank robbers and cops. but u right. gangster films aint about fkin cops. maybe lowkey cacs couldnt get behind a scary powerful black man. just a theory, im not 100% sold on it. Ridley aint really know for his crime epics so might just be a poor choice on his part.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It should've been more crime focused like godfather and goodfellas. The law doesn't dominate those films let alone eat up 50% of the movie. It could've been in that vein of those classic crime films.

I'd say the reason those don't though is because the relationship between law enforcement and the gangsters aren't so intertwined. They're definitely intertwined in this movie whether it's Ritchie or josh brolin's character. And of course since they ended up having this cat and mouse game at the end. It seemed like he was going for a Heat vibe

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I'd say the reason those don't though is because the relationship between law enforcement and the gangsters aren't so intertwined. They're definitely intertwined in this movie whether it's Ritchie or josh brolin's character. And of course since they ended up having this cat and mouse game at the end. It seemed like he was going for a Heat vibe
Exactly and that's where they fukked up. The scripts focus should've been dedicated to Lucas organization and his adventures .Ritchie gets a lot of screen time just so they don't have to get to other meat of Lucas life. Same old, get the power, get the girl, get busted. I do like the movie but it under valued it's main character to a degree.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Exactly and that's where they fukked up. The scripts focus should've been dedicated to Lucas organization and his adventures .Ritchie gets a lot of screen time just so they don't have to get to other meat of Lucas life. Same old, get the power, get the girl, get busted. I do like the movie but it under valued it's main character to a degree.

yeah i disagree. I think both of their stories are intertwined in real life therefore it should be like that in the movie. And even WITH that said lol I don't see that as the problem with the movie. Ridley's Scott direction is the problem and by that I mean the energy in the movie and the tone and all of that. The material needed someone with a bit more gusto and all that; young Ridley would've been on top of that but old Ridley? Nah

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Cons: Them tryin to put Scarface..Serpico..The Untouchables and The Godfather all in one movie threw it all off and had me fallin asleep the 1st couple times..

Why'd they throw T.I. in there just to have a random rapper cameo and a throw away scene (I wanna be like you unc) Common was so in character at the dinner u didn't picture him rappin as Common unlike Tip

If Nicky Barnes was Mr Untouchable of Harlem why didn't he go to war with Frank Lucas who was steppin on his toes pushin dope on his corners??

Pros: The music
The cinematography
The clothes

Richie's moral conflict tryin to do some good chasin Frank when damn near everybody he knows on/off the force is corrupt

The raid in the projects was hard as hell with the shotguns

Mama Lucas slappin the shyt outta Frank for fukkin up the fam and his marriage

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

I don't think that Crow was the problem though. There wasn't enough there in the story to focus solely on Frank Lucas. Goodfellas and Godfather are the exception and they had plenty of characters to shift focus or energy. Heat, Usual Suspects, New Jack City, Departed all played both sides. I think Depp in Blow was the last one to really carry a crime-drama solo; maybe Cage in Lord of War but he had Leto to assist. The brothers were just there. And none of them brought the energy needed...but that was probably the script. Now Josh Brolin's character could have been left on the cutting room floor.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Black mass. At one point I turned to my dad and said where the hell is whitey?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Black mass. At one point I turned to my dad and said where the hell is whitey?

Black Mass had the same issue though: Lack of energy. I'd say American Gangster is a better flick though just because it still held up in the 3rd act. Once that 3rd act hit in Black Mass, shyt got boring and started to feel redundant

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
I don't think that Crow was the problem though. There wasn't enough there in the story to focus solely on Frank Lucas. Goodfellas and Godfather are the exception and they had plenty of characters to shift focus or energy. Heat, Usual Suspects, New Jack City, Departed all played both sides. I think Depp in Blow was the last one to really carry a crime-drama solo; maybe Cage in Lord of War but he had Leto to assist. The brothers were just there. And none of them brought the energy needed...but that was probably the script. Now Josh Brolin's character could have been left on the cutting room floor.

Nah had it been set up right Trupo and Richie could have been shown from the perspective of two cops goin after Lucas for two very different reasons...Richie wants justice in a era of the NYPD where it doesn't exist so taking down Frank is his something to prove.. Trupo is a gangster with a badge putting the squeeze on Frank for power only Richie is the thorn in the ass threatning to fukk up everything...make it like 3 trains colliding but who will come out on top :myman: