Is Akira Toriyama a good writer?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
did AT ever ‘intend’ to move away from goku though?

gohan had his moment and made for a great place filler but I just can’t imagine him as the lead. i think goku was always going to come back.

plus let’s be honest the buu saga gets better when he shows back up.
Yes. Goku was fukking dead and had the best send off you could ask for. He was dying all the way through the android saga and participated in basically -zero- fights. Toriyama was clearly moving away from him. shyt, he could've died on Namek and through the next arc, almost nothing significant would've had to change.

And all that's just up for debate of course - but Toriyama is on record saying it as well. And the death threats, etc.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Of course he is. It's 2018 and you're online talking about shyt he put out decades ago. "Good writer" is subjective as fukk, but in terms of creating and writing something that has(and continues to) compelled audiences for decades, it can't be argued that he's a good writer.

Sir Charles Barkley

The Chuckster
Daps
Reppin
TNT & Turner Family
Yes. Goku was fukking dead and had the best send off you could ask for. He was dying all the way through the android saga and participated in basically -zero- fights. Toriyama was clearly moving away from him. shyt, he could've died on Namek and through the next arc, almost nothing significant would've had to change

without goku who was going to defeat the next villain?:francis:

in the original timeline with trunks goku DOES die after namek... and the entire DB gang gets dropped. :francis:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
without goku who was going to defeat the next villain?:francis:

in the original timeline with trunks goku DOES die after namek... and the entire DB gang gets dropped. :francis:
goku missed the whole android and cell arc breh. toriyama was done with him

from a writing standpoint, he was a side character the entire time between freiza and buu (and toriyama didn't give a single fukk about the buu saga). but androids/cell? no fights, biggest splash he made was in chichi's guts, he got no character development until he started training with gohan - he was being effectively written out by every standard.

that's how writing and rewriting works. you go a different direction.

hell.... toriyama even went through the trouble of making gohan the hero of a different timeline to paint the picture. the whole point of goku training him was so that gohan gets a real parting lesson from his father (when goku legit tried to kill him and forced gohan's ssj) and trunks, 16, along with piccolo dropping full on monologues about how he's got next.

but people like bullshyt

Sir Charles Barkley

The Chuckster
Daps
Reppin
TNT & Turner Family
goku missed the whole android and cell arc breh. toriyama was done with him

from a writing standpoint, he was a side character the entire time between freiza and buu (and toriyama didn't give a single fukk about the buu saga). but androids/cell? no fights, biggest splash he made was in chichi's guts, he got no character development until he started training with gohan - he was being effectively written out by every standard.

more like goku was the main event fight and was being saved for the end.

that's how writing and rewriting works. you go a different direction.

hell.... toriyama even went through the trouble of making gohan the hero of a different timeline to paint the picture. the whole point of goku training him was so that gohan gets a real parting lesson from his father (when goku legit tried to kill him and forced gohan's ssj) and trunks, 16, along with piccolo dropping full on monologues about how he's got next.

and what happens to gohan in that timeline? he got got.

the point of the alternate timeline was to show that without goku everyone is fukked.

but people like bullshyt

bolded

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I'm no manga/anime person I just know the mainstream ones like OP, Naruto, AOT,
So my pool of comparison is small

So if I were to compare him to the others I would say he's ok.

He's no Oda

But honestly he's better than Kishi, and Kubo.

I only know Togashi in regards to YuYu idk shyt nor do I care about HxH. So if I was to compare them I would say they r close to equal.
Tho Togashi seems to plan a little(going off Yuyu)

Toriyama is a good writer. He's just someone who keeps it simple. And that's somewhat his strength

Because some artist can handle creating a convoluted multi layered story, with tons stories/narratives going on with so many parts - ex Oda with One Piece

But others can't and it falls apart to being shyt - ex: Kishi with Naruto

Tori keeping it simple is what makes DB >>>>> Better than Naruto

:AngledScust:

Just mentally noted that your opinion is relegated to hot garbage water status. Hovering just above neg on sight.:Egregious1:

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
I want to say no just off the strength Dragonball Super.. Show is really mediocre with an absurd amount of asspull. His Dragonball/DBZ run was impressive though.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Yeah. DB was his best run by far and after that....

I'll give him credit. He was shooting from the hip for the whole android/cell saga :mjlol: for that to turn out anywhere near as good as it did is a huge credit to him. Maybe if the fanboys got off Goku's dikk then he could've kept things going the way he intended :scust:
For the last damn time, Toriyama said that he made the decision to make Goku the hero of the Buu saga ON HIS OWN. He tried with Gohan but in the end didn't think he was cut out to be the main character. Nothing about the fans.

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
no. but shyt is lit if you're a pre-teen.

grown ass adults trying to breakdown dragonball super storylines makes me laugh so hard.

shyt is made for 7 year olds. :mjlol:
:camby:

:mjlit:
No mainstream childhood cereal box anime has deep story line but it does inspire brehs. Good morals work hard never give up
:ohhh:

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Yes. Goku was fukking dead and had the best send off you could ask for. He was dying all the way through the android saga and participated in basically -zero- fights. Toriyama was clearly moving away from him. shyt, he could've died on Namek and through the next arc, almost nothing significant would've had to change.

And all that's just up for debate of course - but Toriyama is on record saying it as well. And the death threats, etc.
He's not on the record on saying ANY of this breh. Stop. Toriyama used Goku's absence as a plot device for like 4 straight arcs but the story revolved around him. Toriyama has said many times that Goku and Piccolo are his favorite characters.

Kanzenshuu | Translations Archive
Intended Endings Guide - Kanzenshuu

Have at it