Is Akira one of the greatest movies of all time?

Well...is it?

• Duh, of course, GOAT

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Hum....maybe?

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • IDK....isn’t that an anime or something?

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
:gucci:

What is it with people and DBZ? It was a cool introduction to anime, but that's where it stops.

It’s truly a step above all of it’s peers. DBZ is clearly the GOAT.

Maybe if One Piece ended at a reasonable time or if Demon Slayer was longer they could’ve had a shot.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, Akira is great because of his animation

The story isn't interesting or good, it just an amazing piece of hand drawn animation

like Avatar, the only great thing about avatar was the special effects, which weren't even great, movie should have never got any praise

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
GiTS is right up there next to Akira when it comes to animation.

VcOyZg9.gif

And its actually way better as a movie overall :yeshrug: more influential to cyberpunk as a genre too.

I think Akira gets a lot of love because its so digestible (and largely dumbed down from the source material) whereas other classics like Metropolis and Ghost in The Shell gave zero fukks if you could keep up or not.

Agreed, they get compared because they were both state of the art for their time and they’re both in the cyberpunk genre. GiTS is a beautiful movie.It’s crazy how nikkas be at war in arcadium but agree on 100% of shyt here.:ohhh:

BetterFineAngelwingmussel-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_ezgif.com-video-to-gif_focused_v3.gif

BouncyLameKentrosaurus-max-1mb.gif

Superstar
Daps
Definitely some of the best animation I’d ever seen. The first time I watched it. I always stop and slow it down, just to see all the little details. My mind is blown every time. I can’t imagine being on the animator’s team for something like this.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Arguably. It was a genre defining Anime, hell as far as cyberpunk Sci-Fi goes it was one of the most influential and is a staple of the genre.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Epic movie. I watched it a few nights ago for the first time in about 3-4 years and it is an amazing film.

When I was younger I used to share the view that the story was secondary to the visuals, but now I think the story is a clever spin on a well worn sci-fi theme, and the ambiguity and creepiness of certain aspects leaves an indelible mark on the mind.

The way society is headed, films like Akira and GITS may have predicted the zeitgeist of the 21st century.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
not even the best anime film but i love it for what it is. Definitely one of the GOAT cyberpunk films

this thread makes me want to read the manga again. I only read it once damn near 10 years ago