Is Akira one of the greatest movies of all time?

Well...is it?

• Duh, of course, GOAT

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Hum....maybe?

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • IDK....isn’t that an anime or something?

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Damn good film. Visually inspired a ton of stuff, both anime and otherwise. The increased framerate really made it stand out from other anime at the time.

Akira and GITS got a lot of Americans into anime. :yeshrug:

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You truly need an ass beating sir.

Nothing. And I mean NOTHING! Will ever top
Dragon Ball/Z as the greatest anime ever!

NOTHING!!!!!
I agree with this, but honestly I could never ask a new anime watcher to watch that show. Like you had to be watching it while it was hot to understand and appreciate its greatness.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
You truly need an ass beating sir.

Nothing. And I mean NOTHING! Will ever top
Dragon Ball/Z as the greatest anime ever!

NOTHING!!!!!

I think One Piece took the crown for that in the Shonen genre at this point, it's US popularity was hampered by a late introduction in the States and that 4kids dub.

DB may be the most influential though

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Damn good film. Visually inspired a ton of stuff, both anime and otherwise. The increased framerate really made it stand out from other anime at the time.

Akira and GITS got a lot of Americans into anime. :yeshrug:
why do people compare akira and gits?
this akira movie is photorealistic anime, and gits is either the typical anime drawing or the movie with scarlett johansan.

I don't get the comparison, i'm asking here i mean.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
this akira movie is photorealistic anime, and gits is either the typical anime drawing or the movie with scarlett johansan.

I didn't compare them. I said those two are the most cited (in my experience at least) when folk say the anime that turned them on to the style. I don't know many who do compare them in any way beyond the cityscapes and loose cyberpunk similarities.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Akira was a legendary movie.

The dope futuristic setting :wow:

The bike chase :banderas:

Tetsuo turning into a monster at the end :picard:

After reading the comic, they cut a lot out, but the movie is still a classic. I definitely agree with the breh who said they need to remake it as a full on series and adapt the whole comic though.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
I didn't compare them. I said those two are the most cited (in my experience at least) when folk say the anime that turned them on to the style. I don't know many who do compare them in any way beyond the cityscapes and loose cyberpunk similarities.
i googled it and found mulitple reddit threads comparing the two and versus threads

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
For it's time no anime had ever gotten that real I guess. It is influential and definitely deserves praise because it isn't a bad anime at all, but Ninja Scroll, Ghost in The Shell, Princess Mononoke are all superior and those aren't the only ones there are a few others that I aint even going to get into because I honestly don't have time today. Lol

:russ: Is this like the average nikka's Anime starter kit? I don't even be on Anime like that but I've seen all those joints you listed. All piff too :whew:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

GiTS is right up there next to Akira when it comes to animation.

VcOyZg9.gif

And its actually way better as a movie overall :yeshrug: more influential to cyberpunk as a genre too.

I think Akira gets a lot of love because its so digestible (and largely dumbed down from the source material) whereas other classics like Metropolis and Ghost in The Shell gave zero fukks if you could keep up or not.