Is A Different World worth a watch?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's on netflix and have never seen it before. Guess they never had reruns of it growing up.

Thought Denise was ugly in the Cosby show but she looked fine episode 1.

A memorable sitcom?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
It's on netflix and have never seen it before. Guess they never had reruns of it growing up.

A memorable sitcom?
I just finished all 6 seasons last week. Is it worth watching all 6? Not really. I watched it purely for nostalgia and the fact that I hadn't seen most of the episodes back in the day. And keep in mind Lisa Bonet and Marisa tome were only in the first season. The next five center mostly around Dwayne, Ron etc.

I remember when it was on, and although I was young, it was a good show for a sitcom of its genre, it fit it nicely with the scope of black middle class shows (cosbys, family matters etc) back then. If you watched those shows back then, then it fit in nicely and carried its weight.

However, when I look at it with adult eyes and ears today, the acting with some of the characters is horrendous. Sinbad definitely held his own though. And it just goes to show how cheesy and simple sitcoms were back then.

I personally think the 5th season is the best...they delt with more realistic situations.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

A memorable sitcom?
:ufdup: its your duty to watch if you black honestly though skip the first season it was produced by white people until the second season when debbie allen came aboard.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just finished all 6 seasons last week. Is it worth watching all 6? Not really. I watched it purely for nostalgia and the fact that I hadn't seen most of the episodes back in the day. And keep in mind Lisa Bonet and Marisa tome were only in the first season. The next five center mostly around Dwayne, Ron etc.

I remember when it was on, and although I was young, it was a good show for a sitcom of its genre, it fit it nicely with the scope of black middle class shows (cosbys, family matters etc) back then. If you watched those shows back then, then it fit in nicely and carried its weight.

However, when I look at it with adult eyes and ears today, the acting with some of the characters is horrendous. Sinbad definitely held his own though. And it just goes to show how cheesy and simple sitcoms were back then.

I personally think the 5th season is the best...they delt with more realistic situations.

I think the show started going down hill in season 6. There was some very good episodes such as the ones already mentioned as well as the digit hoe and seasonal finale episodes, but other than that I wasn't really feeling season six.

Seasons 2-5 are the best seasons imo.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I think the show started going down hill in season 6. There was some very good episodes such as the ones already mentioned as well as the digit hoe and seasonal finale episodes, but other than that I wasn't really feeling season six.

Seasons 2-5 are the best seasons imo.
Yeah you could tell that they were shifting focus around season 4 with a new cast...and I liked season 6 but I think that's only because I saw the evolution of the storyline after watching it from the beginning; but for people who would've just been picking up the show in 1993...the characters just weren't strong enough to carry a new generation.

Season 1 almost seemed like it never happened....and season 6 you could tell that it started depending on celebrities to keep the audiences attention....excluding the series finale...they had Tupac, Kris Kross, Billy Dee William, Heavy D, and Lena Horne in like the last few episodes.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ufdup: its your duty to watch if you black honestly though skip the first season it was produced by white people until the second season when debbie allen came aboard.
I've never watched a whole episode of "A Different World" (or "The Cosby Show") but...

:dahell: That's the only season that has Lisa Bonet and Marisa Tomei. I ain't skipping it if I ever get into the show.

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
I watched the complete season 1 on youtube without realizing the entire show was on Netflix a few months ago. :aicmon:

I got it queued up to start when I'm done with my other show.

I remember this being one of the shows my parents used to watch when it was new, but I was a child so I don't remember much of it.

and I doubt that it's better than The Cosby Show...

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I watched the complete season 1 on youtube without realizing the entire show was on Netflix a few months ago. :aicmon:

I got it queued up to start when I'm done with my other show.

I remember this being one of the shows my parents used to watch when it was new, but I was a child so I don't remember much of it.

and I doubt that it's better than The Cosby Show...
It is if you are socially and politically aware as the cosby show never really took any chances.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've never watched a whole episode of "A Different World" (or "The Cosby Show") but...

:dahell: That's the only season that has Lisa Bonet and Marisa Tomei. I ain't skipping it if I ever get into the show.
:what: Why would you watch that season just to look at them when they both have sex scenes on the internet from movies you talking like we still in the 90s.