Is a College Degree Necessary in all reality?

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Yes but on average those differences will only net you a surplus of $6,000 dollars. Clearly there is a social component there that you are referencing but I know you wouldn’t even try to insinuate that college is the only form of network around right?

Didn’t say college is the only form of networking, but it is by far the best way; Especially when it comes to social mobility. You say the surplus is only 6,000. Again you’re just referencing the financials.

How does that differ from a degree? What if you get a Finance degree and work for 40-50 years...what do you leave your children? College degrees aren’t magic...it doesn’t just imbue you with some magical long lasting family knowledge and wealth. Someone with a trade can open a business in that trade and pass it to their children while someone with a degree lives check to check and leaves their children a 10,000 funeral bill.

You leave your children easier access to your college and the benefits that come with said college.

A person with a trade can leave a business, but so can the college degree holder. Statistically speaking the college degree holder has a better chance ( have to play the percentages).

I disagree because my grandpa could have went to the same school as Fred Trump, taken the same classes, but have had none of the opportunities because of his skin color. You are confusing the benefits of white privilege with the benefits of a college degree. White privilege allows you to go the bank and get a loan to start a business while 80% of your competition is excluded because of their race. You don’t need college to teach you how to take advantage of a government program to help you finance developments.

Kudos to your father for having the ability to get into Wharton, But if your grandfather would’ve attended Wharton, you could’ve gotten into Wharton with ease. While it may not have benefited your grandfather. In 2018 a black man with a Wharton degree would have plenty of opportunities for life and long term stability.

If it only nets on average $6,000 more over a span of a career it may not always be worth it. Someone with a trade could make a couple smart investments and close that gap.

They could make a smart investment, but if you’re not willing to flip 38k ( average student debt) for 90k. You already showing bad investment skills.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Didn’t say college is the only form of networking, but it is by far the best way; Especially when it comes to social mobility. You say the surplus is only 6,000. Again you’re just referencing the financials.

You leave your children easier access to your college and the benefits that come with said college.

A person with a trade can leave a business, but so can the college degree holder. Statistically speaking the college degree holder has a better chance ( have to play the percentages).

Kudos to your father for having the ability to get into Wharton, But if your grandfather would’ve attended Wharton, you could’ve gotten into Wharton with ease. While it may not have benefited your grandfather. In 2018 a black man with a Wharton degree would have plenty of opportunities for life and long term stability.

They could make a smart investment, but if you’re not willing to flip 38k ( average student debt) for 90k. You already showing bad investment skills.

Thank god people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and many others didn’t listen to you. Computing would be much different...

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Thank god people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and many others didn’t listen to you. Computing would be much different...

:whew: Could you imagine where we would be if Larry Page wasn’t doing his doctoral thesis that led to google at Stanford or Warren Buffet wasn’t studying investment analysis at University of Nebraska.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
:whew: Could you imagine where we would be if Larry Page wasn’t doing his doctoral thesis that led to google at Stanford or Warren Buffet wasn’t studying investment analysis at University of Nebraska.

Here’s some well recognized and very successful people speaking on college. If they can’t convince you that there is more than one way to attain success then no one can. Peace.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think most people are well versed enough to take other information into account as well.

If you look at the stickied thread I can't see how you could logically come to the conclusion that black people should skip college.

you still dont get it. where did i say black people SHOULD skip college? NO WHERE.

This is why i said people are not logically coming to a conclusion based on the facts I posted in the original post. People are going off the hip. READ BOTH of those articles and come back with a reply.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Philosophy? or economics?:lolbron:
here's the truth. most people. black white, green yellow dont have the aptitude for economics/finance/Computer Science/Engineering. So what does the average joe brotha supposed to major in that he can do in 4 years time and not flunk out?

The reason i said bro is because for whites there are more opportunities for them no matter their degree.

a white girl with a liberal arts degree will get that analyst position at your current Job before you do black dude with a degree in IT.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
you still dont get it. where did i say black people SHOULD skip college? NO WHERE.

This is why i said people are not logically coming to a conclusion based on the facts I posted in the original post. People are going off the hip. READ BOTH of those articles and come back with a reply.
nikka I read both of those articles, but it is your dumbass who is pondering why you have to go to college and trying reassure yourself that you're making the right decision by not taking it seriously or skipping it altogether.

You sound like a lazy and crying because someone got a role you think you deserve.

You're bytch made.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
nikka I read both of those articles, but it is your dumbass who is pondering why you have to go to college and trying reassure yourself that you're making the right decision by not taking it seriously or skipping it altogether.

You sound like a lazy and crying because someone got a role you think you deserve.

You're bytch made.
YiYaJjG.png

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You're bytch made.
You finished? because you aint talking about me. perhaps you're talking about someone else.

Even when you make the choice to go the same route as quite a few people. it doesnt make it right that society has setup a situation where you HAVE to do something that in all reality does not make you better at your job/career.

Thats why I said odds are a lot of yall aint reading both articles. you read the my headline and ran with it assuming what you just typed. Now that you're wrong. Go back and read BOTH articles and we can discuss it properly.

and since you read it all. what did it say about minorities(especially black/brown folks)?

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
They are only worth because most jobs recruit from Colleges.

However, many IT/coding firms and companies don't even care about education. You just have to prove that you have what it takes. It's probably more worth it to go to some coding camp to be honest.

In my field, education is absolutely necessary because it's the only way to get through entry level positions.

If you spend 100K on a liberal arts degree that is not a top ten school, you're up shyt's creek and you probably deserve it.