Is a College Degree Necessary in all reality?

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, its that time of year again where we debate this same old topic.

read these two articles first before answering.

The below first article came from the WSJ

Degree Inflation and Discrimination

18.04.03 Degree Inflation and Discrimination

When determining disparate impact, enforcement agencies often rely on the “four-fifths” rule of thumb: If the selection rate for any race, sex or ethnic group is less than four-fifths that of the group with the highest selection rate, disparate impact is likely. Some 61% of Asians in the labor force, age 25 and up, have a bachelor’s degree or higher, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Just under 40% of whites have degrees, compared with 29% of blacks and 20% of Hispanics. Under the four-fifths rule, college-degree requirements disproportionately affect white workers when compared with Asians, and black and Hispanic workers when compared with whites and Asians.

---

Sorry Left AND Right, No Job Requires A College Degree
Sorry Left AND Right, No Job Requires A College Degree

Indeed, college doesn’t make you smart or hard working as much as smart and hard working people often go to college. Being smart is a function of curiosity that decidedly cannot be taught. Hard work similarly lends itself to achievement in the working world, but there are no classes that teach it. If they do exist, they’re a waste of time.

If students soon to graduate are worried that they’re lazy, the answer to this is simple:migrate toward a field of employment that you’re passionate about. If so, you’ll never be lazy again and you’ll be very successful; the whole time using skills and knowledge that were decidedly not picked up on campus.
To the last bold print points. so you're saying I aint lazy like everyone tells me I am when I dont want to put a ton of effort into things or a thing I have no desire in? hmmmmmm

Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
Depends on what you want to do, I don't have a university degree and I don't need one for what I'm doing.

Still had to do a vocational course but it only took a couple of years and I didn't need to do well in high school for it.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This isn't and never has been a yes or no question.

It just depends on the person and what kind of career they want to get into. It's generally worth it in the long term (there are many studies showing college grads make more money over time) but there are obviously plenty of ways to have a good career without a degree. It just depends.

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
I have an associates degree but I have been a web developer for nearly 10 years.

I plan on going back to get a BA at some point but I could probably go my entire career without one.

I should add, I have a friend that works for Microsoft and never set foot in college. It really comes down to experience and what you want to do.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We should be getting as many black people as possible to go to college. We need to realize that we are at a disadvantage and a degree requirement is one less obstacle you have to face in the market.

Only the dumb and lazy try to discourage people from attaining a higher education.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I make six figures and I do not have a degree, only tech certs. A Director level employee at my job is upset because he has two job openings that are paying 75k base that he can’t fill. Not enough people going into trade school, too many people falling for the college scam.

Seriously ,what does this even mean? People shouldn't go to college because your boss can't fill a position ?:picard:

Edit: Nm, you joined on Monday. Neg. Hopefully you'll get your rep up once you can post in tlr.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its the most common barrier to entry in my experience so i'd say yes... it definitely shouldn't be though.
This is the closest it has gotten to the right answer based on the articles provided. raise your hand if yall didnt read BOTH articles? Because I can tell by most of yalls answers yall did not read them both. If you did, you would have different answers.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
This is the closest it has gotten to the right answer based on the articles provided. raise your hand if yall didnt read BOTH articles? Because I can tell by most of yalls answers yall did not read them both. If you did, you would have different answers.
I think most people are well versed enough to take other information into account as well.

If you look at the stickied thread I can't see how you could logically come to the conclusion that black people should skip college.