Iron Man Trilogy : Appreciation

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They were planning the short DURING the production of Iron Man 3:

and when asked if it was done in response to fans bytching about the mandarin twist:

Drew Pearce Talks 'All Hail The King', Runaways, The Real Mandarin & Marvel Future

And secondly, I'm saying nobody cares about the comic book version of Mandarin like that. He's not and never has been a popular villain. Like I said people just saw the film version that Kingsley was doing, were excited about it, then were pissed off about the twist.

*edit*

Another quote from the writer about how the short was planned during the films production:

Iron Man 3 writer explains those huge secrets in All Hail the King one-shot
Marvel's short film "All Hail the King" was a response to Iron Man 3, according to director Shane Black.

"Marvel saw so many negative things they made a whole other movie just to apologize called [sic] Hail to the King," Black told Uproxx's Mike Ryan when the topic of negative online comments regarding Iron Man 3 came up. "In which they said, 'No, no, the Mandarin is still alive. That wasn't him. There's a real Mandarin." The only reason it was made, he added, was to apologize to angry fans.

Marvel didn't expect backlash to Iron Man 3's treatment of the character—in fact, the studio thought fans would "eat it up."

"It never occurred to us the Mandarin is as iconic to people as, say, the Joker in Batman," Black said. "[Fans] just wanted to see the magic rings shoot lasers."

Black also revealed there was an "early draft" of the film where the villain was a woman. The director was explicitly told by Marvel executives the villain could not be a woman "because, after consulting, [they] decided that toy won't sell as well it it's a female."

The director said that both Iron Man 3's Stéphanie Szostak and Rebecca Hall had their roles reduced from an early draft of the script. Because of "Marvel corporate"—and not Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, Black stressed—the writers had to change the entire script. In the draft, the female character was essentially Guy Pearce's Killian character, and the major difference was the gender.

Iron Man's most recent appearance is in Captain America: Civil War, which has made close to $1 billion in revenue worldwide.

Breh. I LOVE the mandarin. His powers are unique. He has always been a fan fave. Ironman in general wasnt that popular before the mcu but Mandarin was always his arch nemesis and most notable villain. Personally i think disney bytched out because they didnt want to piss off the Chinese market. Then they started copping pleas when fanboys like me started raging.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
IM3 > IM2
IM3 was funny and I liked the Mandarin twist. IM2 villain was super weak, he was like no competition for IM and WM.
And the OG Ironman is a classic, no actor has owned a comic book role like RDJ owns Tony Stark. He mad a B Lister a fukkin' superhero icon. Still top 5 comic book movie.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think Iron Man 3 is great. I didn't mind the Mandarin twist but then again I was never hyping him up from the trailers like some folks were. I did think they could've done more to make Guy Pearce's character a better villain once the twist happened, but still. That movie is all Tony fukkery with the kid to me. :russ:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
RDJ is on a pedestal alone with Reeve as far as superhero casting goes.

IM1 is probably pound for pound the best acted superhero movie overall. Between RDJ, gwenyth and jeff bridges... can't really think of another movie that measures up.

edit: @MartyMcFly maybe Batman Returns! Pfieffer AND Devito both turn in legendary performances!

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
IM2 is the weak link, and even that's not too bad.

IM3 is one of the better written MCU movies, with a smaller, personal story, military/terrorism themes that are relevant today, and some nice trope flips.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
IM2 is the weak link, and even that's not too bad.

IM3 is one of the better written MCU movies, with a smaller, personal story, military/terrorism themes that are relevant today, and some nice trope flips.
Yeah great point about the terrorism themes. The Mandarin and Osama Bin Laden parallels were great.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
@Ironman
tumblr_oow7h3eOdg1ug3v0wo6_r1_400.gif

STARK?
:wow:

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
One of the classic trilogies. Was so prolific it started a groundbreaking cinematic universe which spawned many lackluster copycats but it has remained a shining beacon of excellence. Major :salute: to all those involved in the financial and critical success that was the Ironman trilogy

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
:smh: what they did with the Mandarin is unforgivable:smh:
want the old mandarin, buy the old comic

:scusthov: voice

yall gonna have to let the cinematic universe breathe apart from the comic universe. not picking on you specifically but some on here seem to pick and choose when they want the movies to take liberties and when to strictly follow the source material

With that said....Most of the people bytching about the Mandarin were and are full of shyt. Nobody is checking for the Mandarin like that, nobody is out here being big fans of classic Iron Man stories where the Mandarin was the main villain. People just really liked the film version and were upset when it turned out to be a hoax and the actual villain was fukking lame. But miss me with the "They ruined the Mandarin" shyt.
salute

Last edited: