Iron Man Trilogy : Appreciation

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
IM1

First movie that made me feel that the comic character had jumped off the page.

IM2

Can't front: I didn't like it THAT much when it came out. That was cause I was sooooo hype wanting that first high again.

Now. I fux wit it. The whole 'drunk IM' thing is straight from the comics. Started weaving the whole MCU in with ScarJo and Co playing parts.

The scene on the raceway still made me grin recently.

IM3

Loved it the first time I seen it.

Taking Stark out of the suit was PERFECT. The twist to me was fly cause who gives a what about the Mandarin.

Looking back the shyt was CBM greatness.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Iron man was excellence. RDJ was having the time of his life chanelling his inner Keith Ellison. Set the stage for the MCU the way blade,follewed by xmen followed by Spiderman set the stage for the entire new generation of Comic book movies. That was it however. Iron man 2 was terrible(Whiplash?) But we were cool with it. Iron man 3 was even worse. Goodness me for anyone that read the piff that was extremis(comics) and for anyone that knew the Mandarin(comics,cartoon) it was a horrible pill to swallow(so terrible that it got retconned in a marvel one shot). Overall though its been fun.....but yeah no more Iron Man movies please...unless its the real Mandarin(i hope he kills iron man):demonic:

Daps
Iron Man 3 was weak

I still hate it

how do you have Iron man.... without the suit? They might as well have called the movie Tony Stark

in fact, that's what they should have done. At least I wouldn't have went in expecting greatness

Marvel take this L

But Iron Man 1 is still one of the best Marvel movies made. Taking Tony Stark from his billionaire playboy status to caring about the ecosystem and the terrorists :mjgrin:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Iron Man is a classic.

I think Iron Man 2 is under appreciated. It doesn't stand on it's own as a competent film, but if you watch Captain America The First Avengers BEFORE Iron Man 2 you'll appreciate it a LOT more and certain things in The Avengers will make more sense.

I liked Iron Man 3 when it first came out, but didn't love it. The plot holes annoyed the hell out of and I felt like a lot of time was wasted on that bullshyt with the kid. The Mandarin twist only bothered me in the sense that it was a weak reveal because you already knew Killian was evil, so there was no big bad reveal. Now I know the reveal was supposed to be that Mya was behind everything but that cheap cocksucker Perlmutter ruined it all.

With that said....Most of the people bytching about the Mandarin were and are full of shyt. Nobody is checking for the Mandarin like that, nobody is out here being big fans of classic Iron Man stories where the Mandarin was the main villain. People just really liked the film version and were upset when it turned out to be a hoax and the actual villain was fukking lame. But miss me with the "They ruined the Mandarin" shyt.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Iron Man is a classic.

I think Iron Man 2 is under appreciated. It doesn't stand on it's own as a competent film, but if you watch Captain America The First Avengers BEFORE Iron Man 2 you'll appreciate it a LOT more and certain things in The Avengers will make more sense.

I liked Iron Man 3 when it first came out, but didn't love it. The plot holes annoyed the hell out of and I felt like a lot of time was wasted on that bullshyt with the kid. The Mandarin twist only bothered me in the sense that it was a weak reveal because you already knew Killian was evil, so there was no big bad reveal. Now I know the reveal was supposed to be that Mya was behind everything but that cheap cocksucker Perlmutter ruined it all.

With that said....Most of the people bytching about the Mandarin were and are full of shyt. Nobody is checking for the Mandarin like that, nobody is out here being big fans of classic Iron Man stories where the Mandarin was the main villain. People just really liked the film version and were upset when it turned out to be a hoax and the actual villain was fukking lame. But miss me with the "They ruined the Mandarin" shyt.

:russ:

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
@Ironman
tumblr_oow7h3eOdg1ug3v0wo6_r1_400.gif

STARK?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

Nobody cared and yet Marvel did the one shot to try and retcon the entire thing. You really do say some dumb shyt from time to time :mjlol:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
3 was trash to me but its whatever now

I didn't like 2 as much AT FIRST but I fux with it now (especially that Hammer, James Brown shuffle :mjlol:)

First one was classic despite the villain being mediocre now that you look back. But still, it was one of the best comic movies ever made and showed that RDJ was born to play Tony Stark and redefined his career. He literally cannot play another role without you thinking about Tony Stark ala Hugh Jackmans Wolverine

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody cared and yet Marvel did the one shot to try and retcon the entire thing. You really do say some dumb shyt from time to time :mjlol:

They were planning the short DURING the production of Iron Man 3:

We originally ruffled it up on the set of Iron Man 3 in North Carolina – in fact the very first day Sir Ben [Kingsley] did Trevor Slattery. But as is with the nature of all the Marvel One-Shots it kind of came in and out of vogue and then we were sitting down last year with Louis [D’Esposito], Kevin [Feige] and Joss [Whedon] and a couple of the brilliant creative execs there – the producers like Jeremy Latcham and Stephen Broussard – and it was Joss who said, “if we really can get to Sir Ben Kingsley for one of these shorts that is absolutely the short you should be doing.” And so I rewrote what I had and I kept in touch with Sir Ben over the time after the shoot and so I sent it to him and he said yes. And suddenly it was all go. The real thing of nothing happens with a One-shot and then BAM suddenly you’re doing it.

and when asked if it was done in response to fans bytching about the mandarin twist:

It’s weird because that was kind of the last thing that was on our minds, certainly my mind. It was really the interest, purely and simply, of getting to play with Sir Ben and Trevor Slattery again. Obviously some of the reaction plays into the dialogue in it but as far as the storyline goes – obviously avoiding spoilers though everyone has illegally downloaded the short by now anyway, so “what spoilers?” –

I actually just felt like it was in the lineage of the information we already dolled out in the movies. In the first movie there was the Ten Rings and in the second movie there was a deleted scene where the rings appear again, and in the third movie we were quite clear in the movie and in the press that there was a mantel that had been co-opted by Killian – partly because if we hadn’t said that it would have completely invalidated a huge part of the first movie which is Raza works for The Ten Rings. So for me I was just joining dots to be honest and using that to give the short some drama and some form of momentum. I didn’t want the short to feel like just a skit. I felt like it had to earn its place in the MCU so that was really the driving force behind it.

Drew Pearce Talks 'All Hail The King', Runaways, The Real Mandarin & Marvel Future

And secondly, I'm saying nobody cares about the comic book version of Mandarin like that. He's not and never has been a popular villain. Like I said people just saw the film version that Kingsley was doing, were excited about it, then were pissed off about the twist.

*edit*

Another quote from the writer about how the short was planned during the films production:

"It’s weird. The idea for the short was there before any of the kind of storm in a teacup following our Mandarin reveal. What’s actually interesting as well is that the evidence of the “real” Mandarin is laid out in all of the Iron Man movies, as well as all the stuff we said around the release of the movie. The Ten Rings are part of Iron Man 1, they make an appearance in deleted scenes in Iron Man 2, and we’re very specific about the fact that he’s a real guy that exists in the world.

In fact, we talked about it a lot when the movie came out. There was always the sense that this term had been co-opted by Killian’s think tank. Obviously the events in the short made that even more explicit. The weird thing is I don’t have any regrets with what we did with Iron Man and I feel no reason to apologize for it. The short kind of let me join some dots that were already there. But it wasn’t the reason we did it. The reason we did it is that we wanted to play with Trevor Slattery some more…

Iron Man 3 writer explains those huge secrets in All Hail the King one-shot

Last edited: